It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot walks off job after refusing to go through full body X-ray scanner at airport

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by evilvonscarry
Just need more pilots ( and everyone else for that matter) to stand up and asset their rights!

Yeah, just about as much as we need more drunk drivers to assert their right to not take a breathalyzer...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Your rants that single out PILOTS for disdain seem to indicate a certain bias on your part. Shows that you are reacting from the "gut", rather than from a solid and thorough understanding of all facts, in context...to include the understanding of the Human condition, in general.

The statement, above, regarding breathalyzers and automobile drivers displays a less than complete grasp on the reality. (A car driver, in most jurisdictions in the US, CAN refuse to "blow"....but, there are consequences for doing so. Try some research....)

BUT......YOU have drifted this away from the POINT....the point was, a pilot, once in the cockpit, is in full control already, and does NOT need such invasive "security" beforehand, regardless of your personal (and incredibly wrong) "opinions".

Furthermore, in the US at least (and elsewhere, I imagine) the United States Congress many years ago mandated that the DoT come up with a program of "random testing" for ALL personnel involved in "critical safety related" functions in the US transportation industry. There are two aspects to this, and a worker is selected ("randomly", by SSN) for either a "pee" test, or a "blow" test. This applies to pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, dispatchers (just to name four fields, from airlines) and also, various airport operations workers contracted to be around airplanes. The rules cover truck drivers, railroad worker, etc etc too.

FUNNY, though....the very people in Congress who MANDATED these rules, some decades ago....they feel that THEY are exempt from the very same rules!!! I mean, shouldn't they be considered as workers in a "critical safety" aspect, in governing an entire nation???

So far, these sorts of rules apply only to the transportation industry. Can you think of any OTHER professions that we, as a society, rely upon?? Well, let's look at just one, for comparison:

About 200 doctors a year are referred for alcoholism, drug addiction, anger-management problems and depression.

www.nola.com...

That's just one source. There is a lot more, by researching and understanding. And applying logic, instead of "feelings".

edit on 24 October 2010 by weedwhacker because: Text

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Your rants that single out PILOTS for disdain seem to indicate a certain bias on your part. Shows that you are reacting from the "gut", rather than from a solid and thorough understanding of all facts, in context...to include the understanding of the Human condition, in general.

This thread is about pilots. It's pretty apparent also that you are either a pilot or have a close relationship to a pilot because your defense of their actions is becoming, honestly, disgustingly absurd.

The statement, above, regarding breathalyzers and automobile drivers displays a less than complete grasp on the reality. (A car driver, in most jurisdictions in the US, CAN refuse to "blow"....but, there are consequences for doing so. Try some research....)

Gee, thanks Captian Obvious. If you weren't so full of yourself you wouldn't be walking around thinking people don't know common things.

BUT......YOU have drifted this away from the POINT....the point was, a pilot, once in the cockpit, is in full control already, and does NOT need such invasive "security" beforehand, regardless of your personal (and incredibly wrong) "opinions".

Are YOU a pilot? You seem to be very, very, forceful that pilots receive immunity from any type of inspection.

So far, these sorts of rules apply only to the transportation industry. Can you think of any OTHER professions that we, as a society, rely upon?? Well, let's look at just one, for comparison:

About 200 doctors a year are referred for alcoholism, drug addiction, anger-management problems and depression.

www.nola.com...

That's just one source. There is a lot more, by researching and understanding. And applying logic, instead of "feelings".

edit on 24 October 2010 by weedwhacker because: Text

I see you are now trying to take the focus off of your drunk pilot friends...

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

[

He could be bring a weapon on the plane, because he wants to take his own life on the job without killing innocent people, letting the co-pilot take over.

Commercial pilot suicide has happened before (EgyptAir Flight 990)

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

Yes, very familiar with that case.

However, it is irrelevant, isn't it, to the discussion??

It proves my point.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Yes, very familiar with that case.

However, it is irrelevant, isn't it, to the discussion??

It proves my point.

The point is, it happens. Granted, not often but it's hardly "insane speculation".

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

NO, you missed my point!

There is NO WAY that a body scanner, nor even a strip search, would have altered the outcome of Egypt AIr 990!

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Yeah wanting to ignore somebody that calls people names, throws fits, and equates drunkenness to child molestation has everything to do with my IQ. The only thing you have proven is that you lack maturity. I take that back, you have proven that you are paranoid and think the fourth ammendment is an obstacle to your "security."

Here is something else from the article that I posted earlier:

...the NTSB has not attributed any airline crash to drunkenness in the cockpit...

I guess we have a horrible problem with drunk pilots putting people in danger.

As far as I am concerned this conversation is over.

edit on 24-10-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ISHAMAGI
reply to post by defcon5

Arguing for being bathed in 20-40x the radiation of an x ray on a regular basis.

Please give your source for your statement.

A full body airport scan gives from 5 to 10 microrem. A routine chest x-ray is about .1rem or a hundred thousand microrem. hps.org...

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

NO, you missed my point!

There is NO WAY that a body scanner, nor even a strip search, would have altered the outcome of Egypt AIr 990!

Expect the unexpected. If you don't submit pilots to the same checks as other staff/customers, will you only change this position once something devastating happens? It might seem like an extremely unlikely scenario, but then so is hijackers crashing planes into commercial buildings in the grand scheme of things.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join