It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pilot walks off job after refusing to go through full body X-ray scanner at airport

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Pilot walks off job after refusing to go through full body X-ray scanner at airport

www.dailymail.co.uk

A Tennessee pilot is waiting to find out if he has lost his job because he refused to go through a full body scanner at a Memphis airport.
ExpressJet Airlines first officer Michael Roberts turned up for work on Monday but says he's tired of being manhandled by security agents and went home after deciding he didn't want to be patted down.
Roberts was chosen to go through the X-ray scanning machine at Memphis International airport before getting into the pilot seat to fly a commercial aircraft.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Good on him! Hopefully more do the same.

The 'terrorists' are winning every time the government starts removing our freedoms. We are the ones losing out, the normal good people just trying to live our lives. We are supposed to be shining examples of 'freedom' and 'democracy' yet these ideals are being gradually eroded, to the point we are told what to wear, what to say, what to think, and most certainly what to believe! Is that so different a system from the enemy we claim to be fighting?

I could harp on and on but the words have been said so many times and we all know them off by heart. Personal protest seems to be the only weapon we have left.

www.dailymail.co.uk
edit on 21-10-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To add punctuation.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Good for him.

These scanners should be removed.

If the morons who 'have nothing to hide' are too scared to fly without being scanned - then so be it.

The TSA should be dissolved.

Security is a matter for the airlines to deal with, not The State.

edit on 21-10-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sorry, but airport security is not an invasion of your rights as you are not obligated to travel by air. Going through security applies to everyone equally at an airport, including airport employees when they enter the terminal areas, and this has always been the case even before 911. If the pilot had a problem with accepting this, then he was free to attain a job that doesn’t have such security requirements, which is exactly what is going to happen. Hopefully he will have a long and happy career flying freight or in the private pilot industry.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

The government should not be involving itself with airline security. You think it should, but that is something you must deal with.

This matter should be addressed by the free market. Tax payers should not be forced to pay for this inefficient system (over 1 million people on the no-fly list.... yeah. They'll get nudes of your mom too)

If and when the TSA is dissolved, I'm sure there will be airlines which will cater to the type of security that Americans have become accustomed to - but for a fee.

+2 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

www.dailymail.co.uk

A Tennessee pilot is waiting to find out if he has lost his job because he refused to go through a full body scanner at a Memphis airport.
ExpressJet Airlines first officer Michael Roberts turned up for work on Monday but says he's tired of being manhandled by security agents and went home after deciding he didn't want to be patted down.
Roberts was chosen to go through the X-ray scanning machine at Memphis International airport before getting into the pilot seat to fly a commercial aircraft.

Good for him.

1. For refusing to be manhandled as it were and
2. Because being subjected to a full body X-Ray day after day just to get to work is NOT healthy. Just like that damn X-Ray scanner that the government is driving around beaming people with.

"It's completely safe to have full body X-Ray each time you go to the airport!" they say.

Sure...that's why when X-Ray Techs take ANY X-Ray *anywhere* on your body, they put a lead vest on your chest and walk 20 damn yards away behind a shielded door to push the button. Suuuuuure...totally safe.

edit on 21-10-2010 by Cataka because: Added that last bit about what X-Ray techs do - and Dentists.

edit on 21-10-2010 by Cataka because: Grammar

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Good for him! I applaud anyone who stands against this extremely stupid machine and governments attempt at taking away more of our freedom.The only thing the government is doing with this new effort is pushing more and more people to stand for what we see as our rights to live in a free country or whats left of it now days.It saddens me to the core as to how currupt this world has become in the past 35 years and how unfree we have all let them make us.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Security is a matter for the airlines to deal with, not The State.

It’s the governments right to run airport security because there are levels of both county and federal jurisdiction in airports. Any private areas are normally rented by the airlines from the county aviation administration, because the airport has to retain ownership of that property no matter what happens to the airline itself (i.e. files bankruptcy, merges with another airlines, etc) due to limited space. Most airports have both a county aviation administration and, of course, the FAA itself. The terminals are normally owned and operated by the county, but other areas fall into federal administration, requiring the security personnel have jurisdiction to the higher federal level (the screeners used to be private firms that the FAA certified, and the Airport Police were Federal, but now they are all Federal). Since the airport itself, not the airlines, always retains the terminals ownership the airport authority controls the security. Even in the old days of private screening companies, the FAA still controlled the security procedures, tested the screeners, and fined them if noncompliant. Ultimately its their property, not the airlines, so its their rules.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Sorry, mod, but there's just been too much "comply, comply, comply -- it's for your own good" for too long now. We're not free. You know, if we treated each other fairly and justly, there would be no "terrorism". There would be no reason. We could really experience genuine freedom if only our governments concerned themselves with the good of the nation and these monstrous mega-corporations simply didn't exist. If we would just mind our own damn business and behave like we've evolved even a little bit, we wouldn't even have concerns like this.

Our freedoms and obligations must have their roots in love, kindness, and consideration; not in fear. We as single solitary persons must take the first steps to be the change we want to see. Let's have no more "comply" messages. Evolve.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Would you consider it to be an invasion of your rights if it was confirmed that full body X-ray scans increase the risk of Skin Cancer

Article from Digital Journal - May 23, 2010

U.S. scientists are reportedly warning that radiation from the controversial full body airport scanners has been dangerously underestimated and could lead to an increased risk of skin cancer -- particularly in children. The skin around the face and neck are most at risk.

Perhaps he considers his health to be worth more than his job.

Quote by defcon 5

you are not obligated to travel by air.

Perhaps not if you are traveling internally within a country, but you are short of options for international travel
I certainly don't like the idea of putting my health at risk when I have to travel abroad.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
The government should not be involving itself with airline security. You think it should, but that is something you must deal with.

I used to work for the airlines, so I know how it works out there. This is fact, its not simply my opinion on the topic. Again, even in the old days of private screening companies the FAA had ultimate control over them, and could pull their license to operate if they did not comply with the FAA’s demands. Making them all part of the TSA was about ensuring proper training, level of competency, quality of personnel, standardization of procedures, and granting them a level of authority. If you had private corps running security still, and the FAA mandated the use of full body scanners, you would still be going through the full body scanners. Even though the private firms were hired by the individual airlines back in the day, the FAA still set their screening procedures, and demanded compliance with those procedures.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
We're not free.

Your free to travel by foot, car, bus, train, etc…
However, if you want to travel by air, then you have to comply with the rules to do so. Airport security is in no way a limit on your freedom to travel.

You know, if we treated each other fairly and justly, there would be no "terrorism".

There are folks out there who will never do so simply because you are of a different race or religion then they are.

We could really experience genuine freedom if only our governments concerned themselves with the good of the nation and these monstrous mega-corporations simply didn't exist. If we would just mind our own damn business and behave like we've evolved even a little bit, we wouldn't even have concerns like this.

With many of these extremists, it’s a religious xenophobia; it has nothing to do with the government or corporations.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Thankyou Defcon for providing the Devils Advocate I haven't had that in a thread recently.

Sorry, but airport security is not an invasion of your rights as you are not obligated to travel by air.

I have to disagree with you here if you look at the big picture airline is the cheapest form of long distance travel and for someone like myself feeling the financial constraints imposed by various 'austerity' measures, it is the only way I would ever see my family. This scanner is an absolute invasion of your most personal privacy people are sitting in a room viewing your naked body. I bet in the future there will also be the problem with some less than favourable characters actually putting themselves forward as a monitor in such security so as to fulfil their voyeuristic fantasies, and don't get me started on the fact children must use them too.

Perhaps you're not into the whole NWO constructed financial collapse theory, I find it a little out there myself, but what you surely can agree upon is that for the UK and the US alike the two foreign occupational wars have brought the countries close to bankruptcy respectively. Whilst simultaneously pissing off more people in the Middle East, who will be out for revenge. The result we have to use cheaper forms of travel to get around, because we're broke, and at the same time supposedly be worried about threats from people our governments have angered.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennyb72
Would you consider it to be an invasion of your rights if it was confirmed that full body X-ray scans increase the risk of Skin Cancer

They offered to pat him down, but he refused that as well.
What health concerns are there for a pat down?

I’ll tell you a more likely scenario about what this was. One thing I have seen first hand about pilots over the years is that they can find all kinds of crazy ways to get out of doing a trip if they don’t feel like doing it.

Perhaps not if you are traveling internally within a country, but you are short of options for international travelm I certainly don't like the idea of putting my health at risk when I have to travel abroad.

You’re free to take a boat or swim…

edit on 10/21/2010 by defcon5 because: (no reason given)

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

"You’re free to take a boat or swim… "

People like you are responsible for the loss of freedoms in this country.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

quote by defcon5

They offered to pat him down, but he refused that as well. What health concerns are there for a pat down?

Options
1. slapped around the testicles by a complete stranger
2. spend 6 weeks of your vacation getting to your destination.
3. become shark fodder
4. risk cancer using an, as usual, 'unproven long term affect' method for security purposes.

I think I will stay at home - which is probably the purpose of the whole exercise!
edit on 21-10-2010 by kennyb72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Okay, let's play his game. Let's put it this way: I exercise my free will when I purposefully avoid situations where my freedoms and liberties are assaulted. This pilot did the same. There is nothing wrong with changing a broken system. I don't like it, therefore I will sit out this dance, thanks. That pilot did the same and that, dear mod, is the point. You stay with your system and all the like-minded folks who choose to do the same will stay there and share your world. I will create a new one with all the like-minded folks who don't care for that kind of lifestyle anymore.

How did that guy get to be a moderator?

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I have to disagree with you here if you look at the big picture airline is the cheapest form of long distance travel and for someone like myself feeling the financial constraints imposed by various 'austerity' measures, it is the only way I would ever see my family.

But the law doesn’t care about what financial constraints this places on you, in their eyes, if it’s of that level of import to you, you will sacrifice to pay the additional cost. If you choose to go the cheaper route, then that is a personal choice, it is not a restriction of your rights in any way as there are other options available to you.

The result we have to use cheaper forms of travel to get around, because we're broke, and at the same time supposedly be worried about threats from people our governments have angered.

If everyone will recall, this stuff went on before 911, the Afghan and Iraqi wars, etc. Remember things like TWA Flight 847, the Marine barracks in Beirut, the USS Stark, or the 1972 Summer Olympics? It has nothing to do with the war, and it really has little to do with Israel (although that is their favorite excuse), it has to do with a xenophobic religious ideal.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

4. risk cancer using an, as usual, 'unproven long term affect' method for security purposes.

I have news for you guys, pilots are exposed to a lot higher, and more dangerous levels of radiation in general, and accept that as a normal part of their jobs. Simply spending significant amounts of time at cruising altitude in the dry air of a pressurized cabin vastly increases your exposure to radiation as you have much less protection from both solar and cosmic radiation then someone at sea level. Then add to this that they are sitting inches behind an active aircraft radar system in the ray dome of the planes nose.

It’s a hazard of the job which they accept, I am pretty certain that health reasons is not what sparked this particular situation.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join