It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea will test nuclear weapons!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
N. korea situation

Even after the US offered help to n Korea if they stop the nuclear project the n Koreans were not happy well what do they want? also if this continues and they do test a nuclear bomb how will the US respond?

West Point
Out

[edit on 27-6-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Personally i belive this was inevetable. its bound to happen. they think that being in possesion of a nuclear device will make them powerfull. its sad... I belive it depends on who is President when the device is tested. If its soon and bush is pres. well he may try an invade, or use some sort of force to make them stop. wich in all realisticness could lead to a nuclear war. however i do not belive that will hapen. If kerry is pres. he will not condone the actions n. korea takes and will blow a lot of hot air out but ultimatley do nothing. besides.. who are we to tell them no..

Just my opinion. comments anyone ?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
As for me, I just hope Bush is out of office if, and when, the North Koreans test their bomb.
I don't trust Prez Bush's judgment re: North Korea and he's a little too trigger happy for me.
As for them testing, it's only a matter of time. As said, they want to show the world that they are a "power" and this is the only way they have.
joey

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Damn thats all we need is for north Korea to start letting the Bomb off in these days especially considering how unstable the whole region is at the moment. At least i hope the tests are underground Australias a little to close for my liking in the terms of fallout pattens.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
If we are lucky they will blow up a lab or base and just scrap the project. But again who are we to deny them this. just because we dont agree doesent meen we have a right to interfere.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Please let Bush be out of office before this happens! Hate to sound left wing but hes to gungho even for me

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Yes, this is very stupid and careless of them.

No, we don't have the right to stop them either, as it was the U.S. who has used and abused nuclear weapons more than anyone by a long shot. (Old Soviet Russia was nipping at our heels though.) Although it's a shame that others choose not to learn from the mistakes of others, even if they refuse to admit they made them themselves.

I'm sure they'll test it underground though. Unless of course they are just complete and total idiots. Or unless they 'test' it 'against' someone, which would be even more idiotic than a typical 'above ground' test.

Honestly, I doubt Nuclear War would result even if things got a bit nasty. That of course depends on how nasty things got, who all decided to jump in with guns blazing and the probability that anyone would use Nuclear or Bio/Chem weapons on a large scale after that first one. The reason I say this isn't because I consider Bush any less of a War Pig and Unstable Wacko than the average person. That would just be denial of reality. The reason is because a Large Scale Nuclear War is in no way desired by the 'Elite Controllers' of the world. Small scale maybe.

Think about it. The Rich & Powerful Elite Scumbags of the world are not the ones with courage when faced with a REAL THREAT. They are too used to hiding behind their politics and money and lies. Sure they'll send armies of other peoples son's and daughters and wives and fathers out to their deaths, but when faced with a real danger they fold up like a cheap lawn chair. The last thing these guys want is too lose all their 'control' and 'buying power' to chaos and Full Scale War of that kind of Magnitude. If they did they would have to actually do some real work for a change.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   
and let the Chinese, Japanese, Russians and South Koreans carry the ball on this issue. Yes, we can still be involved in the process of resolving this but why should we be the lead blocker, running back, quarterback AND coach? These other countries need to get involved in a major way. It's their neighborhood. They need to come off the bench and be of some assistance. (Hello, hello, has oil been discovered in Korea???)

Secondly, from what I've read, N. Korea has lots and lots of their weapons and war machines in deep, heavily enforced bunkers and caves. I'm guessing deep enough and strong enough to withstand any conventional weapons. Yup, my take is if we intend to do the job right we would need to use nukes to nuetralize that weaponry. You think the world would think we were a loose cannon if we attacked N. Korea? How about if we attacked AND used nukes??? (Even that cute mini nuke concept the pentagon keeps trotting out every 3 to 6 months. Mmmmmmm, mini nukes)

N. Korea is China's client state and, as such, it is China's problem and responsibility. The last time we got between them, we suddenly had 200,000 very angry Chinese to contend with. Even if the Chinese sought us out and requested our assistance in bringing N. Korea to heel, why should we trust them? We attack N. Korea, they attack Taiwan. We attack N. Korea, they come in at the end - after we've expended immense quantities of material and men - and tell us what Cheney told Leahy to do the other day. (Mexico is much more stable than N. Korea. How would the US like it if Mexico had nukes?)

Japan's "We were wrong in WW II and we can't trust ourselves to have a powerful military" whine really grates. It's time they dug their grandfather's belly flags out of the family heirlooms and started carrying their weight, especially in their own backyard. They say all the real men left France for Canada or were killed off in Napolean's adventures. Did Japan's gene pool get equally depleted in WW II? Holy cats, N. Korea launched a test missle right over their heads! (Can you imagine the stuff that would be hitting the fan if Cuba launched a test missle over Florida?)

The S. Koreans are great. Unlike their doormat neighbors on the big island to the south, they're ready, willing and able to defend their part of the Northeast Asia. Do they want war? Heck no, they've seen death, disruption and mayhem up close. They're sane. They want to live in peace and to prosper...and they've done that well. Look at them and how far they've come since the armistice was signed. Look where the North is. Where would you rather live? And don't be fooled when you see demonstrations against the US in S. Korea or this recent bs about their airline union in a snit about transporting S. Korean troops to Iraq to help out our effort there. That's what happens in a democracy. They want our help and need our help. (Support S. Korea, buy a Hyandai)

Russia shares a 19km border with N. Korea and has thousands of nukes. Are they going to be a part of the solution? I doubt it. They still haven't gotten around to signing a peace treaty with Japan from WW II. However, Russia also shares a 3,600+km border with China. When Russia talks, China listens. (I wonder if the N. Koreans make short/small border jokes about the Russians - not that size matters)

So, what to do about their nuke testing? Sorry for the lengthy preamble to answering your question. Unless they conduct the test on S. Korean or Japanese soil, I say let it be as far as the US going in and taking them out. War is not the answer, unless they start it and I think their nukes are in bunkers that are too deep to be taken out with conventional weapons and too well defended to be taken out with special forces. Let it be. Contain them. Get the countries actually living in the neighborhood to take some responsibility. (And, let's try to stay positive. A nuclear North Korea all but assures the continued development and deployment of a missle defense system for the US)

We do need to make sure that nukes don't spread even further or are given to terrorists. The Proliferation Security Initiative (PSI), will make things quite interesting if we go forward with this initiative and actually start stopping and searching N. Korean ships Info on PSI - www.state.gov... (I can just imagine the howl that N. Korea would put up if we interdicted one of their ships. It would certainly be the rhetorical start of the "mother of all wars").

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Why do i smell war in the air
i don't like this one bit, things could turn nasty now. North Korea could be the next target, but i hope Bush is out of office cause the last thing we want is a nuclear war

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
actually bush is the perfect man for the job you don't want a president who is scared and wont confront the evil state of N. Korea bush is fearless he will not tolerate it

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
well....bush is a little to unfearful . he thinks that he can win every war. and if he keeps trying to solve world issues with Military might. we may end up biteing off more than we can chew.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well, that's just wonderful.

Why would anyone on Earth think that the North Korean government would keep its word on anything? It's lied and retracted every treaty it's ever signed and every agreement it's ever made. Anything North Korea has ever agreed to is worth no more than the paper it's written on...

Kim Jung Il II only cares about one person on Earth -- himself. That's why his people live in squalor and are starving while he's building nucelar weapons! Only those people which meet his needs and kiss his boots get to live a middle class lifestyle there.

Here's hoping that North Korea's government collapses from the inside out (like the USSR did) before things get really dangerous... because the U.S. can't let a direct threat on two of its allies, South Korea and Japan, go unheeded...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
This has already been posted on before in an ATSNN story
North Korea Threatens Nuclear Explosion

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Am I the only one here who would support millitary action against N Korea? I mean, you have this nut job of a dictator who has umpteen thousand artillery pieces dug into mountains pointing down on S Korea, you've got one of the largest (if not best equiped) armies in the world under his command, he has tested ballistic missles to attack long range targets, and now he is trying to build nukes.....HELLO!!!!!!!!!

Everyone asks "who is the US to deny them nukes?" I'll tell you - we are the country that will get rocked if he sells a nuke to terrorists. We are the country protecting South Korea. We are the country that has consistantly used our vast millitary might to protect the free world from tyrants like this clown.

To put it simply, a dictator who has no regard for anyone but himself is a dangerous man. A dictator who has no regard for anyone but himself armed with nuclear weapons is a catastrophy in the making. You know what they say, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

[edit on 27-6-2004 by American Mad Man]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Am I the only one here who would support millitary action against N Korea?

If it makes you feel any better, I agree with you 100%.
The "Who is the U.S. to tell North Korea they can't have nuclear weapons?" crowd assumes that all nations are created equal. They are not. An unstable dictatorship (actually, all dictatorships are unstable by definition) does not equal a democratically elected republic. This is the political equivalent of saying, "Everyone has the right to become a doctor -- even convicted murderers!"

Actually, the "all nations are created equal" idea is what's wrong with the UN as well, and why the UN is such a corrupt organization. If the UN is to ever truly reform, the first thing they need to do is kick out all members who are dictatorships, and not let them re-apply for UN membership until they have become proven democratically elected republics...

Do I want the U.S. to fight a war in North Korea? No. I didn't want the U.S. to fight wars in Iraq or Afghanistan either. But I understand why we do, if we do...

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   
So we send in our bombers, fighters and cruise missles for a preemptive attack on N. Korea? Do we use the mini-nukes? Special Forces? Do we include S. Korea, Japan, Russia and/or China in our plans or do we let them know after the fact? What if China takes major exception to the US attacking their client state? Would it matter to Russia? Would it matter to NATO?

Is this a reverse Pearl Harbor? Is there any diplomatic prelude to our attacK?

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Why do i smell war in the air
i don't like this one bit, things could turn nasty now. North Korea could be the next target, but i hope Bush is out of office cause the last thing we want is a nuclear war

Or Iran the anti-nuclear sabre rattling is getting pretty from both sides. Lets hope cooler heads prevail. Interesting though Iraq was invaded with much less evidence, but again Kim has the S. Korean people totally brainwashed and it will not be fun to invade at all.

And the post on most of N. Korea stuff being buried is right on. If we sent B-2's over to hit thier production plants how could we sure we got them all.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
IF you dont send troops on the ground then it does not matter HOW much equipment he has hidden in a hole. He needs to bring it out of the hole to move it to the border. That when the predators and the global hawks bomb them or send in GPS targets to cruise missle ships sitting of Japan. As soon as they start sending troops to the border of South Korea we will overfly them and carpet bomb the heck out of them and use SATJDMs and blow up their armor. Will fly sortie after sortie off of Japan and South Korea. until we have neutralized his ground forces. Sure their will be some damage to Seoul by maurading NK's and their will be some loss of life. But I doubt that the South will have much trouble taking on the few NK troops that manage to cross the border. Then what ? what would they do when they get there ?? without heavy fire support and essentially being cutoff from their chain of command what do you think the NK troops in SK will end up doing ??? continue to fight against all odds. NO

The US would just land a 40 or 50 thousand tropps in SK and mop up and rogue NK combatants they find. That would be easy.

The big fear right now is allowing China to take NK completly. This gives China political power as the US will seem "weak" to the other asian countries and THEY will now turn to CHINA for support and protection, since of course its usually allways better to side with the stronger of two advesaries, regardless of your ideology.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
IF you dont send troops on the ground then it does not matter HOW much equipment he has hidden in a hole. He needs to bring it out of the hole to move it to the border. That when the predators and the global hawks bomb them or send in GPS targets to cruise missle ships sitting of Japan. As soon as they start sending troops to the border of South Korea we will overfly them and carpet bomb the heck out of them and use SATJDMs and blow up their armor. Will fly sortie after sortie off of Japan and South Korea. until we have neutralized his ground forces. Sure their will be some damage to Seoul by maurading NK's and their will be some loss of life. But I doubt that the South will have much trouble taking on the few NK troops that manage to cross the border. Then what ? what would they do when they get there ?? without heavy fire support and essentially being cutoff from their chain of command what do you think the NK troops in SK will end up doing ??? continue to fight against all odds. NO

The US would just land a 40 or 50 thousand tropps in SK and mop up and rogue NK combatants they find. That would be easy.

The big fear right now is allowing China to take NK completly. This gives China political power as the US will seem "weak" to the other asian countries and THEY will now turn to CHINA for support and protection, since of course its usually allways better to side with the stronger of two advesaries, regardless of your ideology.

These confident predicitions sound just like right before the Korean war
No doubt the US would win, but it would not be that easy. The NK are motivated and loyal to Kim as is the bulk of the poulation. Kim is a master at using Korean ideolgy and tradition to his advantage. If he has active nukes, and enough tunnels he potentially could hide them from UAV's and Satelites. Get one close to the US and SK lines and pop one off. Alot of thier tunnels are already on the border or even over it.
www.globalsecurity.org...

Sure the US could land 50,000 + troops, but thier heavy equipment would take much longer. Even if they used the prepositioned ships at Diego Garcia the NK could be in possesion of Seoul. Use nukes to blow holes in the US and SK front lines and poor over the border like a huge group of lemmings.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The U.S. will respond in any way (hopefully) because they have NO right to go off and tell people they can not have nuclear weapons when America has the largest nuclear weapons arsenal after Russia.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join