It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your ideas for weapons?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
didnt read the whole thread, but, it seems the best weapon would be to incapcitate your opponent, but not kill them. They would become a burden to their Own logistics, and bog themselves down.

To that end, i would propose a low band sound cannon. Sound waves travel through any material, so you cannot protect yourself. The frequency would be targeted to the intestinal and tract and stomache. The aim would be to cause severe vomiting and evacuation of what was eaten last. Nobody is going to fight under these cisrcumstances, and nobody gets killed. One hell of a mess, yes.

This seems like it would be a good way to end wars quickly. COuld even be used to suppress criminals with guns and knives, etc.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
Of course I do, and according to the info I found about the regular 16 in guns the barrel was 800 Inch's long so I imagine the rail's would around that long. Sorry I don't know that much about how rail guns, or regular guns work, I just know the basic stuff.

[edit on 5-1-2005 by blue cell]

Wow 22 metres long, thats pretty long, bigger than some battleships.
They can make a 1kg weight go at 4km/s with 6 metre ones, imagine what 22 can do.

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
My idea would be to have a 25MM electro-magnetic bushmaster cannon mounted on a Bradely or the AAAV (advanced amphibious assault vehicle) it could provide some good fire support for the marines if we ever invaded a country that had beach's with a lot of defenses. Also it would make a pretty good tank destroyer.

what do you guys think of it?

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   

My idea would be to have a 25MM electro-magnetic bushmaster cannon mounted on a Bradely or the AAAV (advanced amphibious assault vehicle) it could provide some good fire support for the marines if we ever invaded a country that had beach's with a lot of defenses. Also it would make a pretty good tank destroyer.

what do you guys think of it?

Hmm your focussing on electricity my friend, might i suggest a nice thing i found several months ago?
The thing in question is a gauess rifle (exscuse spelling) a magnetic rifle goes pretty fast and is very cheap.
Install one of them and you have the worlds first 100% safe gun!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Though im unsure of its tactical applications high powered jets of watter mixed with sand can cut through solid steel. this could be used to create a wall that could not be passed through by bullets or other projectiles. it could also cut a man in half through armor.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Not mine.. but how about these..

Currently being developed......

www.fas.org...

www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil...

www.battelle.org... (Just wait till these babies get sized down a bit)

Basically fantasy albeit a interesting one....

www.parascope.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
can hovercrafts be used as tanks on water?
or as anti-ship missile carriers ( or as suicide bombers )?
i mean these machines are fast, can be made stealthy (flat), are immune 2 torpedoes and sea-mines.
so can it happen?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well equiped with the right guns, and missiles, electronic systems, and armor they could. Also they might be good fire support ships, what do you think about that?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Hovercrafts are very effective on almost all terrains, though lightly armoured and noisy they can IMO be one of the best vehicles to use in the world.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
maybe. if your idea worked, it would work maybe 1 out of 100 tries. but think if one went of a second before the other one, if it didnt rip off the other ones cable, it would just swing around and hit your own troops. and possibly just pull the other one out and go a total of about 20 ft.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Hovercrafts are very effective on almost all terrains, though lightly armoured and noisy they can IMO be one of the best vehicles to use in the world.

Yeah I heard that they can hover right over mines since there airless or something, also they can hover right over mines in the water since theirs non magnetic signature.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
yeah i mean they can be used in anti-ship rules, i mean travel fast launch missiles/torpedoes and then scram.
seriously i love these machines.
i mean they can be used for amphibian role ansport of tanks, men>, logistic roles, close support craft .
just hopin it happens.
what about hovercraft drones?
i mean suicide robotic hovercraft weapons < they launch weapons and selfdestruct>
man that wld b scary for a sailor.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by vishu
what about hovercraft drones?
i mean suicide robotic hovercraft weapons < they launch weapons and selfdestruct>
man that wld b scary for a sailor.

Well for that they have phalanx and goal keeper.....no hovercraft wants to be on the recieveing end of those 2...

Yeah I heard that they can hover right over mines since there airless or something, also they can hover right over mines in the water since theirs non magnetic signature.

No its not airless in fact air keeps them up...
They hover over since they have no weight on the mines...well its kinda stupid the weight sensors since tanks put out little pressure.
The fact that only a thing layer of rubber touches the mine would be the thing.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   
what are phalanx and goalkeeper?

[edit on 21-1-2005 by vishu]

posted on Jan, 21 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by vishu
what are phalanx and goalkeeper?

[edit on 21-1-2005 by vishu]

The MK-15 6 barrel 20mm gun the phalanx is a close in weapons system and is a short range defense against missiles, aircraft, and even small motorboats. The gun is able to fire 3,000 rounds per minute, and is also fitted with its own special radar nowadays called phalanx radar. And goalkeeper is an extremely accurate 7 barrel 30 MM gun that is being developed by GDATP (general dynamics armament and technical products) its meant to protect ships against close-in-, high speed missiles and aircraft. It has been fitted with search and track radar, the intergrated radars automaticaly and continuously evaluate, prioritize and track mutiple targets.

posted on Jan, 22 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Recoil from EM guns are just as bad as powder guns. The way a EM Gun works is. The "shell" must be made of conductive materal as well as its sabot (launch vehicle) that is then set inside the barrel and has to touch the two sides of the barrel which conduct electricity. The other sides of the barrel cannot conduct electricy or cannot be near enough to either the rails or the sabot/shell to conduct to them or the circuit wont function. When the shell is loaded properly a MASSIVE (measured in millions of volts normally) pulse of electricy is release from capacitors down one of the rails (the positive) it then passes through the sabot and down the other rail (the negative) with electricy moving in opposite directions so close a magnetic field is built between the shell and the bottom of the barrel. This field tries to expand as more electricity is sent through the circuit. As the field expands it pushes the shell forward and the barrel back. The field must react on both objects otherwise the shell would sit still while the field just expanded through the opening. Anyway the more electricity sent down the rails the larger the field and the faster it expands which means a much higher muzzle velocity. It also means a lot more heat from the electricity arcing between the rails and the sabot/shell. If the arcing becomes intense enough it can literally weld the sabot/shell to the rails and tear the structure. (Going to try to find some photos of rail experiments gone wrong)

There is one problem to using the current rail technology on large ships for artillery purposes - The arcing

There is one additional problem to using it on a smaller scale such as a rifle. - The massive power supply required and the weight/size of any such power supply.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 09:21 AM
link   
They do kick almost as bad as a chemical one but they can reach higher speeds.

Also the arcing is bad but lube can sort that..

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Using most types of lubrication in EM rail guns causes more plasma burn, reduces velocity because it limits the amount of electricity passing through, builds up excess heat because of resistance, and frankly melts.

Some people are playing with ultra thin layers of certain plastics though with some success. The temp it needs to withstand is around 100 degrees celsius.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xerrog
Using most types of lubrication in EM rail guns causes more plasma burn, reduces velocity because it limits the amount of electricity passing through, builds up excess heat because of resistance, and frankly melts.

Most types, but some will work.
More plasma burn?
How?
The projetile sets it on fire NOT the lube.

Some people are playing with ultra thin layers of certain plastics though with some success. The temp it needs to withstand is around 100 degrees celsius.

No i think lunbe would be fine , you just need a good metal that can withstand the heat and speed.

posted on Jan, 25 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Here is an idea, how about a powerful harbour sonar network that when it detects something it classifys the threat and then if it see's it dangerous it automaticaly launches mini but powerful torpedoes from special underwater metalstorm boxes.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join