It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Names New Prime Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Former Pakistani finance minister, Shaukat Aziz, has been named as the country's new Prime Minister after the resignation of Zafarullah Jamali.

www.sky.com...

The former Prime Minister had nominated Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain as his successor. The former Prime Minister's nominee is the president of the Pakistan Muslim League, as his successor. Just how bad was the relationship between the Prime Mininster and President Musharraf? Did it have to do with Musharraf's support of the U.S.?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
When will Pakistan become a democratic republic again? It's basically been a dictatorship since "President" Musharaaf took control in 1998 and disbanded the Parliment...

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Good question TC.

Better yet, is the current form of Pakistani government the best choice for 1) the people of Pakistan, and 2) for the people of the U.S.? If not, then what alternative would be better?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, for (1) I'd say no, obviously a dictatorship (even a 'nice' one) is no alternative to a democratic republic. As for (2), I'm sure the U.S. would rather deal with a democratic republic government, but what choice do they have? You can't always choose your allies in international politics... (Just ask Churchhill & Roosevelt, who had to make a deal with a demon (Stalin) to destroy the Devil (Hitler)...)

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Pakistan Makes me nervous.

There have been three attempts on "president" Musharafs life this year, haven't there? What happens if he's killed? Who takes over?

Plus, the US had to strong-arm them into supporting us in Afganistan, because their intelligence agency strongly supported the Taliban.

The last thing the world needs is a fundamentalist takeover of nuclear armed Pakistan.

top topics

join