It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 6 students is regularly bullied, survey shows..500 Thousand Kids Surveyed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
This is ridiculous.

Hearing about a child being hounded to despair — or even death — by bullies has become a tragically regular occurrence. Just last month, 18-year-old Tyler Clementi jumped off a bridge after his college roommate spread secretly shot video of the Rutgers freshman throughout the web. Earlier this year, 15-year-old Phoebe Prince hung herself after months of harassment from teens at her Massachusetts high school.
Far from being isolated events, bullying is frighteningly commonplace across the country, according to a Clemson University study released Wednesday. In the largest survey of its kind to look at the issue, researchers surveyed 524,054 students at 1,593 schools across the nation over the last two year to get a better picture of bullying in grades three through 12.

Read the rest of the story here.

It's high time we actually look seriously into this issue and start to hold our educators accountable for not stepping in and making this stop.

It's a flat out lie when educators say they were not aware that a child was being bullied. I've worked in schools and the kids who get bullied you can see them coming a mile away. The bullies too.

Thoughts?

~Keeper
edit on 10/20/2010 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Thoughts? "Christian" parents impede on their children's free thought by polluting their minds with biased garbage so they they create stereotypes and bully kids at school. You can blame the teachers all you want, but the real guilt lies with the "educators" that they listen to more than their teachers, the educators who have no idea what they preach and how it makes their children behave in society.

Christian parents forget the main point of Christianity itself: love your neighbor as yourself, and mind that log in your own eye. Stop brainwashing your kids into believing your prejudices: they believe you and take it very seriously.

You are right, though, the education system's penal system is a joke. When I was in high school I was pelted with snowballs and donuts and called a "fag", so I went to the principal with all of their names and he said "Well, unless we catch them in the act..." so I said "Then hire someone to stand outside and watch what happens just outside your school doors since you're so incapable of preforming disciplinary tactics on your own". He laughed at me... because I was 16 and I knew how to do his job better than him. But I guess if you work at a high school, who doesn't know how to do everything better than you
edit on 20-10-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Teachers don't account for psychological and emotional bullying. They only red flag it when it becomes physical. Bullying has evolved into something so broad since the advent of the internet. There are hate groups dedicated to single students on Facebook and it is out of the school's jurisdiction to do anything about it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Bullying is only becoming "bigger" becasue the definition of bullying has changed.

What is considered bullying today was nothing more than "setting the hierachy" when I was in school.

It is not a new phenomenon, and it will never go away...well unless we can actually remove our instincts from us.

I would bet dollars to donoughts that if they brought back supervised fights, you would see a drastic reduction in bullying amongst boys. Don't know about girls.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthSeeker5
There are hate groups dedicated to single students on Facebook and it is out of the school's jurisdiction to do anything about it.

Actually students get suspended or even expelled for this behavior all of the time, much to the surprise of their parents that don't realize the level of hate their little bundle of joy is spreading around the internet.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Whatever happened to just socking a kid in the face if he was bullying you?

Eventually little Billy is going to have to learn to stand up for himself or the bullying wont stop at the grade school level, it will follow him into his entire adult life.

Does there really need to be legislation involved?

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I am 24 years old. My friends and I still talk sh!t to each other. There's a distinct difference between bullying someone as in a gang picking on someone in a high school or bigger kids beating up smaller kids and kids mocking each other's flaws, insecurities and weaknesses. The former is unacceptable and the latter is part of life.

I also think kids amd their parents and society as a whole is way too sensitive. America needs to grow some bals and a sense of humor.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

I'd have to agree with you. I'm 23 and I got picked on in middle school and high school but that's relatively normal. Just a few kids thinking they were cool or something. But with how much technology we have now a days and how people go about using these devices is making it a lot different from what others and I have gone through. Now you can antagonize, bully, insult everyone over a computer or post embarrassing info about them, sometimes with pictures or video...there's no real consequence to the "bully" and he really doesn't have much to worry about.

Times are changing and it seems that most of it is for the worst. But if I witness anything I would deem too horrible and it's in plain view..the one doing the bullying is going to get a punch to the face. People need to learn that consequences come with actions and if it takes a smashed nose to learn that, so be it. Maybe if we had more discipline or parents who knew how to discipline their children, they wouldn't be so inclined to do this sort of stuff. But even with that, with a lot of parents too, they won't want to believe their little angel could do wrong and will place blame on others.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
My daughter was physically bullied in 2nd grade. We tried to "play by the rules" but the administration wouldn't do a darn thing. It took me forever to get my child to just tell an adult when the bullying was occurring. That piece of work human told her "why are you tattling to me?"

I showed my daughter 3 ways to take someone bigger than you to the ground. The next day I told the principal "my daughter has been given my full permission to protect herself. If this girl lays one hand, foot, finger or anything else on my child, my child *will* take her down. If you suspend her, I will use the day to take her to Disneyland to reward her for standing up to a bully. Enough said." Amazingly, the bullying stopped immediately.

We finally moved out of state and are in a wonderful school district with great kids. I have a special needs son as well, and we haven't had a single instance of bullying yet. (knock on wood!)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Here, Here! I agree.

This part of the "victimization" of our culture. We are essentially telling kids to be a victim and have someone else solve your problem. Kids need to learn to stand up for themselves. Fight back or you will be looking for someone (Big Brother?) to solve your problems the rest of your life.

Suck it up and toughen up.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by LordTacos

I would say the school administration should hold the bully down and let the underdog get in a couple good hits. That would be an excellent punishment for bullies.

The other problem is kids being punished for defending themselves. That is totally unacceptable.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mountainmeg

Great job man!

That's how you handle bullying.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
sadly,at some places even when you work you can be still bullied,and when your that grown up,fighting back means probably someone killed.
its unaceptable...bullies should be punished and expeled for the slightest thing and i dont give a carrot!
i would never let my son be bullied,i would train him to pummel down a guy with one hit,and even come and mask and beat the crap of the bully my self,people should start parenting their children to dont get into trouble,or i will deal with them my self. and thats it!

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Eventually little Billy is going to have to learn to stand up for himself or the bullying wont stop at the grade school level, it will follow him into his entire adult life.

A decade and a half ago, they liked punishing people who stood up for themselves.

Happened to me a couple of times because of the "zero tolerance" policy on violence. Bullies would go unpunished in some circumstances because they did nothing violent or physical.

My senior year of high school, someone had decided to single me out one lunch period; I blew most of the harassment off, laughing and shaking my head at how ridiculous the person was acting. At one point he sucker punched me in the side of the face (caught my orbital bone pretty good but did no real damage) and ran back to his table on the other side of the cafeteria.

I got up and with my eyes locked on him I began walking across the room. I was intercepted by a security guard.

long load of bs reports short, I mentioned I might like to press charges and I was unfortunately dissuaded when school officials claimed that an assault and harassment suit could be countered with a harassment suit because despite 3 friendly warnings to cease, the fourth time I used some particularly offensive language.

I regret not seeing that little punk put in Juvenile Hall, or ever again after school; but sometimes things just don't work out.

Would you like to know why I was targeted by the way?

He had never seen me before and I was therefore, a freshman. He told me this himself as we were both being dragged to the administration wing.

edit on 10/25/2010 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Does there really need to be legislation involved?

Sadly, the kid who stands up for himself will be the one that the educational facility's staff will penalize multiple times. If you get attacked by someone and fight back, you will both get suspended. If next week a different person attacks you and you fight back, the attacker will be penalized less than the defender because it is his second offense.. defending...

...there's a reason these morons can only land a job at a school. They wanted to be cops but they were even too stupid for that.... somehow.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

A a former educator I can say some of the blame lies with them. However I lay the blame with parenting. Why in the world arn't parents not instructing their children to either NOT bully others OR stand up for the fellow students. There always seems to be someone else to blame on children's behavior (tv, video games, music, ect) ohter than parenting.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by amc621

As a former human being forced through the education system, I ask you this: why in the hell do "educators" punish the victims of bullying just as much, if not more, as they punish the perpetrators? Because you're all bullies too?
edit on 25-10-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

You get suspended for a minimum of 7 days and possibly 365. I have a cousin, that was getting punched by two guys, get suspended for 14 days because he grabbed a plastic cafateria tray and broke it over a guys head. The other guys got suspended for 365 days each.

My cousin automaticaly failed the year. After 12 absences you are suddenly too stupid to pass a grade according to most schools.You can appeal based on "special circumstances." However, being supsended for "violent actions" disqualifies you. He could have filled out paper work stating he had "anger, emotional, or physical issues" that kept him from function in regular school. That would have allowed him to claim that his violent actions were part of a mental defect. Then he could have appealed. However, he would have to attend an "alternative" school the following year. He also would have been admitting that he is mentaly defecent. We know what kind of problems that can cause in later life.

So, you can punch your bully in the face. You risk throwing away not only your year, but your college career as well. That is "zero tolerance" at work.
edit on 25-10-2010 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join