It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UCMJ, gays, and laws that hold everyone accountable

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Actually, now that I honestly think about it, I've never broken that article either?
There's nothing on mutual masturbation or being penetrated.
Well, for what it's worth, a coupla years back I could have been in the American military...
Oh I probably missed something.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Just a reminder, based on the replies I've read....

The laws were made a LONG time ago, by men who lived in a predominantly Christian culture AS Christians. We can't attack it...it just IS. Our entire judicial system was set up on the same principles....it just IS. Those of you who are not well-versed in law making procedures, or how long it takes to change just ONE law, consider the time it will take to change MANY laws. It can take many months to many years just to pass ONE law - consider the fact that congress is involved and must agree on EACH AND EVERY ONE that is changed. I will say again, this is not an easy solution by any stretch of the imagination, because no matter how they reword things, new cans of worms will be opened.....period. It is an extremely ugly mess that has nothing to do with gay rights. Understand this.

Regardless of how anyone feels about DADT, the bottom line is that is it PROTECTING everyone from the laws right now. It was and still is a genius and simple solution to compromise with both gays and those in congress who didn't want the laws to be changed, without touching the laws. Don't forget that homosexuality is still a very charged subject in politics....it just IS. No sense in debating it. Let's not turn this thread into a gay debate....what this is about is the law.

Aside from the law....the fact is, this is a topic very much charged by religious beliefs. This has nothing to do with me or any of you...it just IS. Allow me to state to facts, and don't shoot the messenger!
Gays are by and large not of Christian beliefs, and Christians, by and large, do not agree with homosexuality...no sense debating it....it just IS. Neither side can force the other to believe something they don't want to believe. That is the beauty of living in a free country that protects our freedom of beliefs. But herein lies the conundrum...for these two groups to exist together in peace, both must compromise, because both, by their very definitions and religious freedoms, will be intruding on the other no matter what. Unless congress can find a way for both to exist with each other in peace, with compromise, this situation will only get worse regardless of how the laws are changed.

Read carefully what I've written, and don't take this personally if you are gay or if you are pro-gay. As I said before, I have gay friends. But getting upset and debating homophobia and/or homosexuality doesn't change the reality in which we live. I hate watching folks go back and forth in ugly debates that aren't rooted in awareness of what the problem really is about. No one needs to preach their truth....just live it! The rest will fall into place in due time. In the meantime, always ask yourself, "who's argument am I fighting?" Did you start it, or did someone else start it for you? I think the media quite enjoys igniting gay rights issues, and too many folks enjoy jumping blindly onto that ride without ever considering how easily they were baited into doing so. It is that reason alone that I question what will be in the new rewrite. Eyes open!

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

Well, just to find out what is actually going on is quite hard, because there are several interpretations.
What the military in the US eventually does (if anything) is not my concern.
I would like to think that I have fought for what I believe in, and what I believe to be true and just.
Gay men and women have fought and are fighting in the US military, and history will judge those who want to deny that harshly - because it's your countrymen, and your brothers and sisters.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Gseven

From my vantage point right now, I don't see it as a gay issue.
I see it as an American issue.
I find it hard to understand that Americans would deny a gay minority civil rights - the right to love and work under equal conditions.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Update:

This was published, and it confirmed my original post.

Gay In The Military: Still Illegal For Time Being

What happens now that Congress has voted to repeal the 'don't ask, don't tell' ban on gays in the military? Nothing. For the next few months and possibly for as long as a year, gays and lesbians in uniform will still be subject to investigation and discharge if they acknowledge their sexual orientation, Pentagon officials said. Despite action in Congress to repeal it, the controversial policy banning gays from serving openly remains in effect until, in essence, until the Defense Department is good and ready to wipe if off the books.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join