It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans and Brits- would you marry out of your country for a 'green card'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
With both the US and the UK so heavily up the their eyeballs in debt and with it looking to get worse and with no end in sight - would you marry out of your country to get permanent residency?

The premise of the film 'Green Card' had a well to do single American woman wanting to move into a luxury apartment but had to be wed in order to do so. She conveniently marries a Frenchman who works as a waiter and could use a green card to stay in the county legally and make his fortunes.

Now that the housing market has bottomed out, industry and fortune are to be found in the developing nations and legislation stops anyone succeeding unless they are already from a successful community - would you take advantage of another nations apparent affluence and leave the one your were born in?

Soaking up the rays, drinking deliciously cheap beer and taking advantage of industrial growth through investment of your money in these countries.

Is it the dream? Or is it a cop out?

Any other thoughts upon colonisation, developing these nations whilst you are there or tourism are also welcome.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I don't think so

My bonds of Patriotism
far outweigh
my bonds of matrimony

my hierarchy:

God
Country
Family

edit on 10/19/2010 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Really? No offence but that is a messed up hierarchy. Do you really hold a God you have no proof of and a piece of land you live on in higher esteem than your loved ones?

OP, in regards to your question I'd only marry for love, regardless of where the person was from . I think being happy and with the people you love is more important than making money.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by m0r1arty

I would if I could get Irish-EU citizenship!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Hey m0r!

In direct answer to what you have proposed... no, I don't think that I would marry as a means of getting citizenship in another nation. Though I am not emotionally or morally opposed to marrying and moving out of the US if love, or something that felt like love (so hard to figure these things out sometimes) was in play.

To me if the economic meltdown continues, it will be a global phenomenon. I don't believe there will be many safe havens. If there are nations who don't suffer as much as the others, I think that they will probably be the more wealthy Arab states - and I wouldn't be welcome there, nor would I want to be. Therefore changing citizenship, to me, would simply be moving from one room to another in a burning house. Any space, within a conflagration, is somewhere you don't want to be anyway. So one is as good as the next.

The same philosophy applies to the inverse of this issue... if a woman were to proposition me regarding matrimony as a means of her being able to come here. If there was a legitimate emotional bond there, I would more than likely entertain the idea. But not for money.

Then again... enough money on the table tends to change opinions. But, short of an amount that would probably exist only in the plot of a work of fiction... No.

~Heff

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
No, I cant get a girl in the states so i doubt I could get one in another country and get married

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   

No,I would not marry someone to get out of a country.
I have already been through that hell with a russian who
used my stepson to get into the states!

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
not a hope of me doing that....as there are few places in the world i'd consider moving to... and. Those I'd get into anyway based on relatives, and skillset.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

join