It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why SpaceShipOne?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Hello friends,

I would like to ask everybody here a question.

As you all know last week we were all witnesses to history,

the 1st privately created space mission: SpaceShipOne

I was fascinated with the idea that aside from "tell-me-lies-please" NASA exploring our cosmos; now we have the start of "civilian" operated space travel projects that could possibly open countless opportunities.

My question is this:

If NASA is already spending billions of dollars annualy exploring the cosmos what purpose does SpaceShipOne (and similar projects in the contest) have in the scheme of things?

Why would NASA allow (and fund, as they did with SS1) private companies to "further" explore space?

Do you think maybe an urgent need to get people into space is needed?

Does somebody know something we don't?

my post was triggered by this

While politicians evade their responsibility, planet killers scream unchecked through the solar system, our climate goes through suspicious changes, and terrorists are one day closer to their goal of using weapons of mass destruction.

jra

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Firstly, SS1 wasn't funded by NASA. That's against the X-Prize rules. (NASA has funded a few other projects done by scaled composites, but not SS1).

Secondly. I think that opening up space to civilians will speed up development of space going vehicles and the like. Seeing as how NASA can't even get into space itself right now. Relying on Gov't funding for everything limits you.

SS1 has no other purpose but to show that a company that's not funded by the Gov't can reach space. It's not ment for anything else then that really. But from this and the other competitors, it could lead to a whole new industry. Like back in the early 20th century when there was some competitions for non stop trans-atlantic flights and other such things, which helped build the comercial aviation industry as it is today.

I wouldn't say there is an urgent need to get people into space. I think there's a lot of people that just want to go into space period. I don't think it's a case of some people knowing something we don't. I think there are just a lot of people excited about the idea of furthering our reach into space (myself included).

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The world apparently is short of scientists and creators. Probably because there all to worried about getting flamed for there ideas. Just lately the government in my country has been putting a lot into encouraging the youth to take up science. If at some point in the future a major breakthrough in technology occurs re space travel then there going to need those scientists. I would say they know a lot more then there letting on. But the governments cannot monopolise on this so their encouraging private projects so that when the ball really starts gaining motion there are people there to take up the challenge. Just my 2 pence worth.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 05:27 AM
link   
While Scaled Composites has had this on the board for yars. the Bush administration changes in space policy are moving towards making orbital stuff more commercial and deep space exploration the main mission of NASA.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:00 AM
link   
All I have to say is;
read this, this, this and this article

new topics

top topics

join