It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to fight in a dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
First I'll say I'm not a violent person, never get in fights, very polite and passive. My question is if has anyone ever tried to fight someone in their dream? Everytime I try it feels like I'm throwing a punch while under water or as if i'm in slow motion. No matter how mad I am during the dream I can't do any physical damage. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had similar or different experiences while dreaming.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Pipebomb24875

Everyone does, perhaps because your NOT SUPPOSED TO.
All this war and MSM has made people trash.
Your meant to simply be you and live your life.
Not worry about money, which is fake and something that people have convinced everyone that its something they should kill others over.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I have the exact opposite in my dreams. I feel like the terminator. Maybe it relates to your personality type. I am not violent by any means but I am not a pacifist either. I don't go looking for trouble but if I see that something is wrong I will speak up and take the appropriate action. I have never been one to turn the other cheek but I do not instigate fighting at all.

It might be your sub conscious trying to tell you something if you believe in that or like others say it could just be a bunch of left over memories that the old bit bucket is trying to delete.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I've had dreams where someone has hurt one of my children and I beat them into giving up their ghost. I've also had dreams in which I was shooting at someone that hurt my children and my bullets didn't effect them. I dream about my children a lot.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Last Night, I Encounters Cyberdemons(Classic Doom monster that strongest of the Classic Doom monsters) in Abandoned Mall where everytime I killed one of them, I collects ammunitions from their dead bodies.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

HAHA, too funny. Back around 1993-1995 I was having a bunch of DOOM dreams.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pipebomb24875
First I'll say I'm not a violent person, never get in fights, very polite and passive. My question is if has anyone ever tried to fight someone in their dream? Everytime I try it feels like I'm throwing a punch while under water or as if i'm in slow motion. No matter how mad I am during the dream I can't do any physical damage. I was wondering if anyone else has ever had similar or different experiences while dreaming.

Hmmm - really interesting post. Yes - if you're talking about a "physical" fight (vs. an argument or something similar). In the relatively few instances that I can recall a dream in which I'm involved in a fist fight or other other physical fight, I have a very similar experience.

Definitely intriguing, but I don't know if it means anything or if it's a common experience.

Maybe some others can chime in and we can get a better handle on how common this is.

Thanks for posting - this has definitely piqued my interest.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
When I throw punches it feels the same exact way. Like I'm underwater and I have no power whatsoever. I also am not a violent person maybe thats why. I was actually talking to my girlfriend about this very thing the other day. Good to see I'm not alone lol

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I have had similar dreams as well.
For instance, I dream I get into a confrontation, and to a point where I have to start defending myself. But when I throw my punches it feels like I have no power at all, very weak, but I still do damage (I break the persons nose, or knock them down, or give em a bloody lip). Because of this feeling, I dream that I have to punch harder, but the harder I try to punch, the weaker I feel (but I still am able to defend, do damage).
This dream is frustrating to me.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I had that alot when I was growing up, does it sometimes also feel like you go real weak just before impact or no matter how much you think you want to hurt them someting always stops you, like you trip or miss or just cant hit a hard punch?

Maybe its a message that your subconscious is stopping you from fighting with others, the ego may want to but the deeper part of you being has other plans for you.

You are a peacefull loving person deep down under the heated passion of the ego.

Be glad its not the other way round.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I have dreams like that quite often.. no matter how hard I try I can't punch/hit etc.. it's the same for running. i'll be running away from something and it will be in slo-mo...

except one time in a dream i had a steel, terminator type robot arm and i finally got the bad guy... that was a good dream

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

does it sometimes also feel like you go real weak just before impact or no matter how much you think you want to hurt them someting always stops you, like you trip or miss or just cant hit a hard punch?

To the OP, I can honestly tell you that I've these types of dreams - they are actually quite funny

Polarwarrior, I know the feeling you're speaking of. It feels like you have lead in your blood and just can't move your arms quick enough. At least I know I'm not the only one now.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The old "slow punch" or "lazy legs" is very common. Everyone experiences it at some point or another.

Everything requires your attention to exist in dreams. Most of the time, we take the existence of our bodies for granted in dreams. When trying to punch without proper focus on your body, it can create anomalies like this.

The more attention you give something in dreams, the more related detail it creates. This means once you notice you're punching slow, you actually make it worse by focusing on it.

The solution is to just stop and refocus. Feel your arms and legs, feel their weight, feel them moving, look at them. It's actually pretty simple to overcome, if you're lucid and understand how dreams work.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I know exactly what you mean! I wanted to run away in dreams before but couldn't because it felt like I was underwater. Exactly as you put it. And it was odd this past year, I got into a scuffle with my older brother where he was being the aggressor and when I felt he was due for a good sock to the head in return... I couldn't hit him. I went to throw the punch, had a clean shot, but just went slow-mo... He hit me again. This was in real life!
edit on 19-10-2010 by AllSeeingLie because: Forgot to mention

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
it's because you guys are a) laying down in bed (no leverage) b) probably sleeping on your arms/legs... i'm not saying that you'd actually be throwing punches/kicks if someone were watching you sleep, but that's just exactly why it feels like you're punching through water/gel, or have no power behind them. just like when a limb is hanging over the bed, you feel like you're falling. it's as simple as that.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
very cool topic. i can relate to this. I have had many dreams that involved a fight or me beating up four or five people at once and knowing what im doing as if im in a transporter movie or something. I have also had dreams about being shot multiple times and feeling the bullet wound. How do i know what this feels like? because i have been stabbed.

Usually though when you are having dreams like this you are experiencing a (battle). I was having a spiritual battle because a very yound girl got murdered in our family and so i was dreaming about killing Anubis. I didnt want to except the fact that an innocent could go the way she did. ( that is all i would like to talk about that subj)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I'm not great at dream interpretation, but might this indicate just what you said, that you're not a violent person so even in your dreams you're not able to commit violence? Or perhaps there's some urge you're suppressing in real life which leads you to hold back your punches in your dreams?
I often have dreams where I'm being pursued by someone, usually a cop or a serial killer (I'm a Criminology major so I guess that's only natural!) and sometimes I'll just keep running, but other times I successfully strike back at my pursuer in an extremely violent manner, like stabbing him to death or slicing his head off or running him over with my car. Only recently in my dreams was I able to actually murder my oppressor. I would hope that that indicates I've been able to successfully "kill" my past problems or memories or tendencies that were holding me down. I guess it could also indicate that I've sunken to the level of my oppressor or could point to my own very violent urges which I never express in real life. In my most recent dream I remember saying, "If you don't kill them, they'll never leave you alone!"

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Over the course of the past several years I've had an astounding number of "conflict dreams" and have experienced more or less the same phenomenon as you describe.

The punches are slow in coming, or else hit the target - yet the target seems unaffected in any way.

Upon waking there is a lingering sense of physical exhaustion that can last several hours.

Still, I never seem to do any damage in the dreams with these entities - at the core of my psyche I am not really interested in hurting the "physical person" as much as I am trying to destroy the thematic behaviors and ideologies these dream persons embody and/or represent.

I've always chalked the failure of devestating impact upon the targets because I'm instinctively lashing out with physical means and methods in order to annihilate what is - in the reality of the dreamscape, anyway - nothing more than an intangible (or metaphorical) threat.

Shadow boxing, as it were.

Don't know if that helps any, but two cents worth.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
seriously... sometimes you can fight like normal, sometimes you are punching in slow motion through time. you guys are making these simple dreams a little to dramatic. we have conflict dreams because we don't resolve things directly in life, or because of something we've seen/read/heard about. that's it...

the only thing that makes any sense is that you're sleeping on your limbs and normal, subtle muscle twitches due to the nature of your dreams (ever seen a dog dream?) are inhibited cause you're sleeping in a weird position... no need to over-romanticize it, i realize how emasculating the dreams must be.

extra edit junk: the difference between us and dogs is we can wake up, remember our dream, and relate it to others, and communicate that "i was punchin all slow and weird, didn't make any sense cause i would have seriously messed that thing up, you know me bro." or whatever. you aren't punching in slow motion because your moral compass says it's a bad idea, let's reconsider, cause it definitely doesn't stop you from having sex with your wife's sister, or wife's mom, or whatever in your dream. the major reason we remember the "slow-motion" fights is because fighting puts your brain in a really engaged, visceral state. so, if you are sleeping weird, it makes perfect sense your engaged mind is telling you what to do, and you can imagine doing it, but your body can't follow through.
edit on 19-10-2010 by shagreen heart because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
its normal to have them dreams when ur fighting that ur in a slow motion sequence in a movie or w/e everyone includin me that i ever talked to dreams like that idk what it is but its crazy aint it? i will tell u somethin though i have fallen and hit the ground from high up so hittin the ground doesnt mean ur dead!

top topics

join