It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks insurance password (possibly) incoming!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I don't think that it's Legal, strictly speaking, for a Government to release information that is somehow "Against the Law" to trap people.

Because that would imply that the Government was committing a crime by releasing it.

-Edrick

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDeader
About downloading / sharing the file via torrent:

Imho you can do nothing wrong here.
- You know it's very probably nothing commercial (like the screener from a new movie)
- Using the torrent technology to share files is not illegal
- The file itself (unopened, just laying on your harddrive) will cause no harm. You might want to put it on an external hard disk (always backup... i learned it the hard way
)
- If you are scared to open the file, do it on a virtual machine/sandbox, or just wait till someone else opened his

Unless you're in the UK and the police for whatever reason search your computer. They find an encrypted file and ask you for the key, we don't know the key yet in which case you can be sentenced to two years in prison for refusing to give them the information.

Ahh freedom, how i love thee.

Anyway i hope ths is something good because the last few wikileaks were a little bit of a let down i think when you consider how much publicity went with them.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Downloading it is your rsvp to the fema getaway of your choice, duh.
just kidding. I don't think it's the governments excuse to lock down the internet, though I have entertained the idea that maybe that was the whole purpose of wikileaks. I think the conficker, or outside virus is the more likely route.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm downloading it now, it's 1.38 gb so might take a little while

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
It's downloaded and it's an AES256 file (what's that) and it won't open, anyone know what this is?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Has anyone else read that twitter link that led to a letter from Julian, where he said they were never going to release these 400,000 docs. A blog reported it and 700 "respected" news agencies picked it up and ran with it. Atleast thats how I interpreted it.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Guys, wikileaks is under maintenance right now. Usual stuff or... insurance?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by BarmyBilly

It's an encrypted file, you can't crack it, open it and are invited to read something about it prior to downloading 1,38GB

Cryptome just posted this:

Wikileaks Feint - Cryptome.org

Please read it - hot stuff imho - before i post my opinion i'll have to (back)check some things first.
But basically Cryptome says the insurance file, their website beeing down, et cetera, is a feint by wikileaks

*Edit: Opened a new Thread about this post on cryptome to keep this discussion clean.
Thread is here

edit on 20-10-2010 by TheDeader because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-10-2010 by TheDeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Yes it is possible to transmit data using radio's its quite slow we're talking dialup slow... but for terminal based message boards and just text based stuff its sufficient. It is limited by range and certain other factors but its better then nothing and AM Radio stuff can be found pretty much anywhere much easier than certain other technology that could be used to setup real long distance wifi networks...

yes telephone transmission can be cut/manipulated and block and there's not much to do if you don't have switch level access... they can stop whole area code from being able to talk to another area code just by messing around with the translation table and there's nothing really to do if you can't get switch level access... it was easier in the past to get when security by obscurity was a standard... but now's a different story as an example the company I work for you need a RFID card + go through a retina scanner to get in the server/switch room and no one can go alone you have to be in pairs of two and only two at any one time can be in there.

AM Radio is cheaper/easier and more practical since it use the radio frequencies that you can't really jam without have collateral damage to other applicable use of the band your jamming... Also it can be use in many creative way... As example you could created a PIC based device that would interface with your computer so you could type something in a terminal the interface device transfer it into morse code and sends it and the other end receive the morse code then their interface device translate it to text and he see's your message... want to be creative you can even add in encryption cyphers
possibilities are endlless hehehe

Just msg me if you have questions
edit on 20-10-2010 by _R4t_ because: mostly typos and added content

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

Yes it is possible to transmit data using radio's its quite slow we're talking dialup slow... but for terminal based message boards and just text based stuff its sufficient. It is limited by range and certain other factors but its better then nothing and AM Radio stuff can be found pretty much anywhere much easier than certain other technology that could be used to setup real long distance wifi networks...

Thanks for your reply.

I'm going to to a bit of checking just to see if it feasible to prepare myself for a possible internet kill switch scenario. Do you know of any groups already planning something ?

EDIT

You added more stuff whilst i was typing my reply !

Thanks. I'll think up some sensible questions and send you a mail.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Wobbly Anomaly because: more stuff to add

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

IRC chat gives a mirror - mirror.wikileaks.info

The insurance.aes256 cryptome mirror is no longer hosted, '404 not found' error.

# Insurance file 1.4 GB

* (SHA1: cce54d3a8af370213d23fcbfe8cddc8619a0734c)

mirror.wikileaks.info/wiki/Afghan_War_Diary,_2004-2010/

chat is mostly dead, no conversations for past 4 hours...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

read it again i added some stuff

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

darnit this keeps getting more and more interesting... I just got back from work and I wanna to sleep but I can't just I'm too hyper about it maybe getting that darn key lol... Its possible TPTB will DDOS the file's host to take it down to prevent it to get too much around if they sense sh*t is about to hit the fan...

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
well i downloaded the file a while ago and im wondering if anyone is any closer to figuring out what this is?

anyone?

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm not going to bother downloading it. Thousands of other people already have. If they do ever release a password for it, the unencrypted version will be everywhere. I'd rather use the space to store my "illegally" downloaded TV shows (which are 'illegal' to download, even though they are flowing through the air on multiple frequencies 24/7, and you can also watch them on the networks website...its all about forcing you to watch lame commercials).

P.S. I believe the encrypted file must be video or sound clips. Documents compress VERY well, if it were just docs it would be like 3GB uncompressed, which is an extraordinary amount of docs. Either that, or it's like 200MB of docs, and the rest is just padding to make the govt and everyone else think that there is a lot more.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Blazer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I am amazed at how people react every time a rumour of a new wikileak release surfaces. People blindly downloading god only knows what. No offense folks but time to take a step back and take a deep breath.

The terms lemmings and sheeple rapidly come to mind. You are all being played like a pawn shop fiddle.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

chances are you are proberbly right. But personally i would rather download it and feel like a lemming if i am wrong than not download it and find out that it was the biggest leak they have ever posted.

Who knows whats is in that file. but i am not going to miss out on what ever it is.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I think what may be happening is that Wikileaks is intending on releasing the "war documents" sometimes soon. I believe that the insurance file is their protection against any repression or intimidation that would come with an expected or eventual release of the war documents.

I think that the insurance file contains the MUCH more revealing "diplomatic cables".

It works like this. Either prior to the release or just after, wikileaks receive some substantial threat. Upon receiving this threat wikileaks then reveals to the threateners that they actually have MUCH jucier documents that would be much more damaging. Wikileaks would then "invite" the threat maker to follow through with their actions at the forewarned risk of the "more incriminating" information being released.

Thats my take on all this.

What do you all think?

Oh, wikileaks being down is to be expected. They are most likely preparing their servers and infrastructure for a huge influx of traffic.
edit on 20-10-2010 by Brahmanite because: Adding information

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Brahmanite

Yeh that is what i was thinking. So basically this file is keeping wikileaks going. so if they do release the encription password for the file then it would more than likely be the end of wikileaks yeah? unless they have a whole stash of these insurance files. who knows!!

But if whatever is in that file is as encriminating as you say then we have a right to know that information, dont we? and wikileaks should release it, regardless of the reprocussions, surely thats what wikileaks is all about?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join