It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks insurance password (possibly) incoming!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Spectral Norm

Well the first 8 bytes translate to "Salted__" when interpreted as ASCII. OpenSSL with some options produces files with that keyword followed by the salt.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I wish what ever is going to happen would happen already.

That may be one of the most perfect sentences for ATS ever.

You could post that line in almost every forum/thread and it wouldn't be out of place in the discussion.

Whether by accident or design you've nailed much of the gestalt here...

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

That post is worthy of a thousand more stars, I wish I could give more than one.

Well said.

Tell us something we don't know!

Or even tell us something we don't know about the Russians, or some other government besides the USA.

Always the USA, hmmm secret files, encrypted video that they were able to crack, etc.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeATSuser

Aha. Good catch. I see what you mean, the first 8 bytes. Okay, so this means that either someone used OpenSSL to encrypt this file or they wanted it to look that way. Unfortunately, the bad news is that it doesn't tell us which cipher was used. It might as well be AES 256, since no one will be able to break it. Except possibly NSA, particularly since (I assume) they have access to the plaintext.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

7zip program
2nd.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
salted is in reference to the encryption, which'll take eons for your computer to break. the salt is extra crap added in to make cracking harder....

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeATSuser

it also says the same thing if you open it in notepad.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This wikileaks "insurance" file will be just like every other event here on ATS. It will be released, or not released, if it is then everyone will go "ohhhh ahhhhh oh my god.... Such corruption" and then it will fizzle out into nothing until the next exciting thing comes along to spruce up everyone's mundane existence.

(Conversation in months/years to come): "Oh yeah didn't you hear that? The government is corrupt and evil, the organisation Wikileaks proved that through documents years ago. It's very official."

"Really? I guess I always suspected it... So what happened after it was proven that they are in fact murdering animal war dogs and the documents were released?"

I'd imagine some blank stares would then be exchanged.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It isn't going to be about UFOs or Aliens or ANYTHING like that.
It will be about the Afghan war, and since it isn't text and judging by the size of the file it will be raw unedited footage of an airstrike, or combat footage, in which A LOT of innocent people died.

I say A LOT because or else WikiLeaks wouldn't be using it as insurance.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I wouldn't be so sure.
Here in Australia we are about to hold (or have just started, I forget) the first ever Political debate on the Afghan war and whether or not we should take our troops out.
If this password comes out soon it will create a massive backlash in the debate and hopefully Australia can get out of the war. (this is assuming the file is a video of another airstrike, which I'm 87% sure it is)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

And now we get a glimpse (though skewed) at the ultimate objective here, and that is to force through cyber security legislation and executive orders giving the government more controls over the internet.

Their war (with themselves) will leave all of YOU victims.

On one side, WikiLeaks has assembled the brightest and most dedicated hacker-activists in an effort to turn the Internet into a bastion of transparency and information freedom.

On the other side, the United States has combined its Department of Defense, Federal Bureau of Investigation, National Security Agency in an attempt to clamp down on the Internet with censorship and encryption-banning laws.

Both parties, however, have fully realized the importance of the Internet and the outcome of their battle will change the face of the world.

thelinknewspaper.ca...

Get ready, because what comes next, you are going to have to see to believe.... and it isn't coming from wikileaks.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I've already cracked the encryption code with a handy little device from a bygone era.

B E S U R E T O D R I N K Y O U R O V A L T I N E !

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

As long as there are groups like WikiLeaks and others who have the balls to do this sort of thing the Internet can remain free and uncensored.

If enough people stand up and say NO then it can't happen, and if it does happen it won't last long.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Wikileaks is following an obvious pattern. This long drawn out advertising campaign (lets call it what it is!) is to increase revenue. Should be obvious to everyone as the pattern repeats. Oh, the drama of it all

I agree with you fully.

Wikileaks has done nothing but convince me of being one big shell-game and possible CIA project.

Nothing shocks me more then to see so many people openly (and without question) praise and "boardeline" worship this outlet of information.

Nevermind it has been years of releasing absolutely "nothing" of a "huge nature" and often information that has already been released.

Bradly Manning has yet to even be proven as a real person...yet, he gets shot off to a prison for over 50 years without a single interview or backing evidence of his real existence, and people go Gaga over this.

Sorry...wikileaks has me thinking three things from the begining-

1) Marketing ploy of professional nature.

2) Possible Government Agency honey pot oh so prevalent in so many past affairs of our intelligence services.

3) High level Distraction/misinformation.

Go ahead, laugh or call me some cointel whatever-ya-want...people selling the family cow so quickly for this load of magic beans are really a thing to confuse me.

MM

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Mask

Wikileaks has done nothing but convince me of being one big shell-game and possible CIA project.

You're on the right track.... Better hurry before they find a way to shut all of this down.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I've already cracked the encryption code with a handy little device from a bygone era.

B E S U R E T O D R I N K Y O U R O V A L T I N E !

I half expect the code to be some message like "STICKITUPYOURHOLE!" Or something the that effect.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It's a big matter to every guy.god bless you.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I know I'm Australian myself and I sure as hell hope someone has the brains to see our nation has NO PART in America's Middle-East Occupation Oil Crusade. Get them out of there, and stay out of there.

I'm just sick of never seeing any change whatsoever. Even as our planets economy continually fragments and collapses around us still there is no change. They rode us up that industrial paradigm hill and they are riding us down it too.

I'm glad there are people like Julian fighting to expose this stuff, and to him I am grateful. It is the people that do nothing about it that makes me angry.. I get angry at myself for not doing enough

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ahoote

Wow, this is your second post here. Is dis-info your middle name? Or are your initials F.B.I.?
2nd
edit on 19-10-2010 by IllMannered because: News

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

I agree that the inertia is hard to take sometimes. I doubt that we will see anything from WikiLeaks that will topple the U.S. government or do anything more than generate some phony outrage from the Pentagon, which in turn will become a talking point for your favorite talking head.

Think of it, the dirt about Prescott Bush and Union Banking Corporation, a holding company for the Nazis by any other name, has been in the public domain for the better part of a century, but no one cares.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join