WikiLeaks insurance password (possibly) incoming!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by brizellious

Maybe it is a truecrypt container using that encryption?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Well i think if its evidence of peoples rights being trampled on or geneva conventions being ignored or any other rights being violated then it is imperative to release it as soon as possible to stop poor innocent people being harmed or killed. And if its them bombshell its claimed to be then no government body could argue with the evidence and no wrong doing could be perpetrated against wikileaks without the scrutiny of the public and would surely make there case for releasing evidence like this imperative to the protections of the people and there rights. And they certainly shouldn't be worried about being a one hit wonder as you say wouldn't it be immoral to be gaining from misery.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Mabey. Let's hope they post instructions with that password haha

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by brizellious

Yeah I see what you mean, I guess it all depends on what "if's" we are forming our current opinion on - I don't know whats in the folder and would have to make a decision based on that - but if it was a choice between causing a stir for a few weeks and dieing of a heart-attack/car-accident -OR- keeping them scared and releasing important leaks every month or so for a few decades - I know what I would choose.

But as you say, it depends what's in the insurance file, I wouldn't hold on to evidence of elite CRSA for anything.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Whatever they have probably contains portions that they would rather not reveal. I think the implication is that they will release it in full if they are prevented from editing the data. The last release withheld about 15,000 documents. I think some of the news services were involved with sorting through it and identifying the really sensitive parts.

WikiLeaks also claims that their funding sources have been blocked; i.e. they can't receive donations now.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
About downloading / sharing the file via torrent:

Imho you can do nothing wrong here.
- You know it's very probably nothing commercial (like the screener from a new movie)
- Using the torrent technology to share files is not illegal
- The file itself (unopened, just laying on your harddrive) will cause no harm. You might want to put it on an external hard disk (always backup... i learned it the hard way
)
- If you are scared to open the file, do it on a virtual machine/sandbox, or just wait till someone else opened his

About the File & Wikileaks:

The situation for wikileaks has imho become worse over the last week:
They blocked their financial sources. Assange's citizenship was denied. The molestation charge is hyped by the media into a rape charge. Then that thing with wired.com, where all the major media sites reported wikileaks would release something this monday. . .

I find it also wierd that the wikileaks page is still in maintenance. Perhaps they just want to protect the real page from attacks / outside modifications.
Then that team of 120 DIA/FBI agents who are surely not employed to scan the 'possible leak files'.

Things are getting hotter IMHO
I'll do my part of support an but the file on my server and better torrent distribution (+1gpbs rocks
)

According to the hash check both files (the 'old' insurance file from the wikileaks page, and the 'new' one in the twitter link) are the same.

*excited*
edit on 19-10-2010 by TheDeader because: typos

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
insurance.aes256
AES256 File
1.38 GB (1,491,834,576 bytes)

I have had my copy for a while. Although even with a key I will have no idea how to open it lol. So I guess my lack of computer geekiness will prevent me from reading it.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think we are being played, personally.

Why?

Because all we have to guarantee that the contents of the encrypted file (which does not appear to be a validly encrypted file with AES-256bit encryption as is claimed) are what they are claimed to be is faith that the NSA has not already broken AES-256bit encryption when they endorsed it (and encouraged it's widespread use worldwide). Anyone remember how the CIA gained their power? The exact same rouse with the Tempest devices...

So, the NSA could have decrypted the file, replaced it with their own disinfo, forged the hash used for verification, and filled the contents with a trojan, and monitored the Torrent trackers when it first appeared, seeding their false file as the real one to every downloader after the deed the was done.

We have no guarantee that the contents are legitimate and aren't already compromised to discredit the source.

This is S.O.P. baiting for entrapment or to discredit high-profile whistle-blowers.

I'm hoping it is everything it is supposed to be, but I'm highly skeptical. Too many possibilities are out there for what could have happened to all these mirrored files since August 1st. Now that WikiLeaks is down and we can't compare our copies with the originals, all we have is hope and faith that they are what they claim to be.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDeader

The only thing I would of add to say about the torrent (even tho I don't know much is), I would of trusted it more when it came out then I do now - Not because of anything WikiLeaks has done, but more to do with what the file may of been replaced by since then by the gubbermint.

reply to post by fraterormus

Damn ye'! you beat me to it....
edit on 19/10/10 by ghostsoldier because: A licky boom boom down, Informer

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
insurance.aes256
AES256 File
1.38 GB (1,491,834,576 bytes)

I have had my copy for a while. Although even with a key I will have no idea how to open it lol. So I guess my lack of computer geekiness will prevent me from reading it.

No worries, they are likely only interested in motivated individuals who will attempt to crack it triggering code that makes it easy to identify potential threats to security.

It's all good.
edit on 19-10-2010 by Fractured.Facade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Was thinking the same thing. Be very careful if downloading.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheTruth
thank you!

S+F
Everyone needs to download the file.
Who knows what it could contain.
COSMIC?

You do know that cosmic is merely a classification and not associated with ufos right? Or anything space like.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Download a copy of OpenSSL and install it. Then to decrypt it, type the following command:

$ openssl enc -d -aes256 -in insurance.aes256 > out.dec use PASSWORD as password

Of course you would replace the capitalized PASSWORD with whatever password is disclosed to unlock it.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I think that would be a bit extreme and very complicated to do but it wouldn't surprise me however i will take my chances. But i agree i think there is something fishy about this too. All i know is my peerblock is going crazy with blocked ips

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
This is very long thread concerning the file. There are a few good posts explaining how to decrypt. Based on the first few bytes of the file it was encrypted using an open source Linux program called OpenSSL.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't know, this all seems so suspicious to me. The closer we get to U.S. elections, the more suspicious I become; of ALL new information being released.

Could this be the October surprise?

Anyone check for linkage between Assange and Soros? hmmm....very peculiar.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
I think we are being played, personally.

Why?

Because all we have to guarantee that the contents of the encrypted file (which does not appear to be a validly encrypted file with AES-256bit encryption as is claimed) are what they are claimed to be is faith that the NSA has not already broken AES-256bit encryption when they endorsed it (and encouraged it's widespread use worldwide). Anyone remember how the CIA gained their power? The exact same rouse with the Tempest devices...

So, the NSA could have decrypted the file, replaced it with their own disinfo, forged the hash used for verification

Hold on just a second....

Forged the hash?

You just got dropped in the bit bucket for you know not of what you speak...

There are md5 collisions... But not anything remotely usable....

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   

I don't think that is likely because once the file is hashed and seeded, it wouldn't be possible to change anything in the file because that would change the hash and make the changed segments invalid and bittorrent would discard them.

The only danger I can see would be the government making a list of IP's that download the file (like what happens with movies/music that is downloaded) that can be traced back to the person doing the downloading.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by janon

I'm sure the 2nd-tier No Such Agency technology would be capable of all kinds of stuff... But like I said, I don't know much.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON, Oct 18 (Reuters) - The Pentagon urged news organizations on Monday not to publish classified U.S. documents due to be released by WikiLeaks as U.S. officials brace for a mass disclosure of leaked Iraq war files by the whistle-blower website.

WikiLeaks, which in July released some 70,000 U.S. documents on the Afghanistan war, is expected soon to post on its website as many as 500,000 classified leaked U.S. documents from the Iraq war. The U.S. government in July condemned the release of the initial leaked documents, which painted a grim picture of the war in Afghanistan that began in 2001.

Pentagon spokesman Colonel David Lapan said the U.S. military is "absolutely" urging WikiLeaks to "return the stolen documents to the United States government and ... not publish them." Lapan also appealed to the news media.

"News organizations should be cautioned not to facilitate the leaking of classified documents with this disreputable organization known as WikiLeaks," Lapan said.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join