It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions on duct tape defense on terrorism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Just wanted to see what everyone thought about the duct tape advice we got from the government about fighting terrorism:

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Something makes me think you really don't care what response you get to this, but I might be wrong.

I think it was excellent advice, and hopefully, with time passing, the general populace has not forgotten this.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The plastic sheeting and duct tape advise is for real. It's just not out there for the reasons given, which would not make much sense anyway.

The real use for plastic sheeting and duct tape is to wrap the bodies of the dead while you wait for them to be collected.

This would be appropriate on a national scale only for scenarios such as the return of SARS or other disease on a pandemic scale. W.H.O. has warned of this already in a series of CYA announcements.

Personal or family preparations for such an event would be much simpler than for most other types of catastrophe - yet there is a near total blackout on advice for such an event.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It may not be the most effective thing, but it is in pretty much every household. If it is not, it is readily available just about anywhere and it is cheap. Strider made a very compelling use for it. To wrap the bodies in it to prevent the spread of any infectious disease. I guess there are now 1002 uses for duct tape.

There are many other uses as well. If you were to capture a terrorist, I think this is what the Government would want you to do:

Edit: spelling

[edit on 6-27-2004 by nyarlathotep]

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Doing anything is better than doing nothing at all. Useful or not it serves the need to reduce panic when a plan is in place. While civil defence steps will not save you from everything especially in the inner city area, people on the fringes may make quite a difference for themselves through a few simple steps.

This site has a lot of info EmergenyNet

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I think it's dangerous and useless advice, because it lulls people into thinking they are somehow adequately prepared for a terrorist event, unless (as Strider mentioned), the sole purpose was to make sure there are adequate provisions in place to deal with dead bodies. There are so many other preparations that would make more sense, such as encouraging people to be aware of their surroundings, how to watch for suspicious activities, learning basic first aid practices, making a personal or family emergency contingency plan, etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amiga_de_los_Gatos
There are so many other preparations that would make more sense, such as encouraging people to be aware of their surroundings, how to watch for suspicious activities, learning basic first aid practices, making a personal or family emergency contingency plan, etc.

The U.S. Government advises all that too. I think the government's thinking here is, "Well, it's not a perfect solution, but all things considered (like the average resources a family has, etc.), it's a hell of a lot better than nothing." If duct tape can make pipes water tight and air tight, it's at least worth trying, isn't it?

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I think the government has done a poor job all the way around with trying to prepare ius for terrorist attacks. Just look at the color coding!!

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I think the duct tape solution is insulting to the American public while it's leaders flee to the comfort of their custom made bunker shelters.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This is the same thing as telling school kids to hide under their desk during a Nuclear attack...

It offers comfort in knowing that you are doing something than just sitting there letting it come after you killing you.

However, today, we are a lot smarter and their little scare tactics are not going to work forever

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Everyone complaining about the advise given about duct tape would be the first to complain on the lack of advise or warning. If something did happen and all you needed was a roll of duct tape and some plastic sheeting to survive and no one told you !! A catch 22 with some people......

XL5

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
With the tax money ppl "give" the govt. , they should be offering gas masks and bio suits and radiation tablets/pills and a lead cup/helmet for cheap.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Perhaps the government could just give us the adult response.
"If there's an attack, there's an extremely low probability that it will affect you.
But if it does get you, there's really not a lot you can do to improve your outcome."

Maybe an answer like that would galvanize more people into getting involved
and trying to change the current world situation.

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amiga_de_los_Gatos
Perhaps the government could just give us the adult response.

Are we children that need to wait for big daddy government to tell us what to do? Do nothing until the government gives us instructions in comic book form?

Pffttt............Anyone who subscibes to having the government "tell" them what to do and is waiting on that very thing to happen is naive.

Ostrich's Are a Hazard

1. If an Ostrich is not killed in an attack they become a drag on medical and emergency services due to their total lack of foresight and preparedness.

2. When medical and emergency sevices become inadaquate due to overpopulation of Ostrich's - Ostrich's immediately go into a panic mode and attempt to take what is not theirs from more cunning creatures.

3. Ostrich's tend to cause more other creatures to take far more radical steps to restore order due to their panic prone nature, causing the loss of rights for more intelligent creatures.

Ostrich's Are Dangerous

posted on Jun, 28 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
During 1975, the UK Biological Warfare centre- the Microbiological Research Establishment Porton Down, were commissioned to investigate the feasibility of simple biological shelters for the civilian population.

The experiments are described in the scientific document MRE Field Trial Report No 20. The biological shelter was a Portakabin which were shielded from the simulated biological attack by means of duct tape (adhesive tape based on linen did not seal well and a plastic sheet adhesive tape was used in all experiments), plastic sheeting and plasticene.

The room was sealed in various ways and each version was challenged by spraying a BW simulant (spores clouds of Bacillus subtilis).

Before these trials began it was determined that the proportion of biological particles entering an unprotected room varied from about 5% to 75% of the outside dosage.

The results for the different types of room protection are given in this page from the Field Trial Report.

community.webshots.com...

As you can see, the trials did not take into account any movement to and from the room during the simulated attack.

In the worse tested circumstance; no protection except for an air-scrubber. the protection value offered was about 10, but with ad hoc sealing, the room protection factor rose to 50.

Inexplicably, MRE Porton Down didn't bother to investigate the protection offered by ordinary housing so unless you live in a Portakabin we are still none the wiser as to how to seal a room from BW particles.

zero lift
:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Something makes me think you really don't care what response you get to this, but I might be wrong.

I think it was excellent advice, and hopefully, with time passing, the general populace has not forgotten this.

Now why would you say a thing like that? I care very much about responses I get when I pose a question, but that is for you general information about me.

Besides, anyone who thinks taping their house up in response to terrorism lacks understanding of crime prevention. That's just my opinion. Duct tape and plastic sheeting should be used only under close governmental supervision.

new topics

top topics

join