It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We are outdated... dangerous

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Into the solar system

Into a new soloar system

Into a new galaxy..repeat..repeat...repeat..

Into a new universe....

Would be the logical course of things... seems like quite a feat when so many people are so apathetic about even getting off the earth.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I don�t believe that overpopulation will be a real issue in the future. There have been forces at work to correct this for at least fifty years. One look at global census numbers will show you that population growth as declined and even reversed in many areas.
The real trick will be evolving the mindset of humanity. We must learn to understand our place in this world and how to sustain it. Other wise we are doomed to fleeing one destroyed planet after another.
Don�t get me wrong, I am all for the exploration of space and the new frontier. I just don�t like the idea of colonizing planets because we have too.

[edit on 4-7-2004 by Taeas]

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnusualMe
Into the solar system

Into a new soloar system

Into a new universe....

Would be the logical course of things... seems like quite a feat when so many people are so apathetic about even getting off the earth.

Quite true. But maybe they already have the capability of getting us into space, that�s why they are not bothered [which is why maybe we feel apathetic]. I would love to get off this planet, and discover what�s out there. I don�t believe the argument on cost. Something else is stopping them. I remember hearing someone say that maybe we need to solve our problems here on earth before we go off into space.

posted on Jul, 4 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 10/2/2004 by esther]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It would be great if we never NEEEDED to but I still think we should.

Hopefully people will realize that building UP is better then building OUT as we aquire more people and lifespans become longer. We'll need the room for crops. Meat may become outlawed as it takes more room for them to graze then it does to grow a crop that would feed more people. Hopefully third world nations will have all the food, clean water and medicine they need.. coupled with schools and computers. Our releance on natural resources will dwindle once clean alternative methods are found.

All this would be great.. but we still have natural disasters to contend with. As we know they've wiped out life before and can do it again... I just don't think we should all be in one place.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnusualMe
Into the solar system

Into a new soloar system

Into a new universe....

I think you just described the function of a virus right there.
Into the cell
Into a new cell
Into a new organ, repeat, repeat, repeat...
Into a new host...

world population is said to peak at 8 billion people then gruadually go back down. Also john titor (if you believe him or not) said that the world ware will wipe out like 3 billion or something?

It's nice to know that people actually care about this subject but the people who can make it happen (the ones with money) are not going to do this because it doesn't get them richer. Benefiting humanity is not a way to get rich so therefore they can't do it

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Once certian systems are in place space travel will be much cheaper... and even a viable method for the extraction of resources from other planets.... so eventualy the people with money will be paying attention.

if we take the right steps we could be on our way to a new consciousness... but we need to survive to evolve.... ensure the safety of the species for millions of years...

some people have lost hope... but i think humanity is growing and changing.. we only need to make sure it's in the right direction... we can do great things if we put our mind to it.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Getting out into the galaxy is a important step for any race if they want to grow and not die out. The earth wont be here forever our sun will die out even this galaxy wont be a nice place to live in a few billion years when the galaxy andromeda crashes into the milkyway. We have to get out into the universe or we will become extinct.

Yep Dont understand why we should be "crowded" we got the whole Universe! for our bodies!
We are increasing so slow it doesnt even count as increasing, the Universe is also increasing in size,(LOL) and there is many other universes also. Its joust our ego we think we are big! Joust a small comparison to our "small" sun/star
hypertextbook.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Between the space elevator, tourism and exploration, the next century will be known as the orbtal century. The first space hotel will be in orbit by 2017, and the earth will be encircled by a geostaionary girdle connecting to Five massve pillars anchored on the land/sea worldwide by 2077. Each pillar will be 1/4 of a mile in diameter and will contain enough living area for the population of hong kong, new york, london and beijing combined. Think of the Tokyo Sky city project as a massive tower reaching space. The girdle will be 5 miles wide and 1 mile high, the outwardfacing side wll be covered with solar cells which will satisfy all of the earths energy needs. The surface of the planet itself will resemble a giant garden in that 98% of all humans will live in either the towers or the girdle and all land will be either nature preserve or farm. The whole process will be built and maintained robotically, in fact all manufacturing and constucton will be handled by machines which reqire only yearly human input. Goods will be manufactured and shipped automaticlly based on computer commands. Massve ferry shps 10 miles long 10 miles high and 10 mles deep which run an automated circuit of the solar system will allow anyone and anything to travel on a solar cruise in 6 years, By building 50 of these behemoths the supply of materials , goods and technology will be unhindered. local launch ponts will use rockets to speed cargo up to capture speed as the ferreis pass by.
Citizens will be sponsored by corporations to explore asteroids, comets, moons and other celestial bodies for resources .

At least thats how I see it. The amazing thing is that while the initial investment would be large, after the first space elevator is built the investment become progressivly smaller, while the profit potiential increases at an exponetial rate. The right government investment in the right technologies could create withtin the next 10-20 the single greatest, economic and technological boom in history, the advances in tech from 1899-1999 will seem lke a small step indeed.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
BTW the orbital debris sweep will be the hardest part of the whole process as well as the most expensive.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Do you have a link that explains these pillar things?

Also it's my feeling that the first government to complete the elevator will pretty much decide who gets cheap access to space and under what government the eventual outcroppings will be set under. Who really has the money and the tech to do something like this? I think it would be between US, China and Japan.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
So we are basically going to be living like the Jetsons. Wheee!

<< 1   >>

join