It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP updates FAIL to INSTALL!!! Please help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Hi ATS,

I am hoping someone can help me fix this problem as it is very very frustrating. For about the past 8 months I have been trying to install high profile updates on my computer. For instance windows service pack 3.5 and updates that are important just like this one will not install. They continue to fail time after time. Security updates also fail. I've tried adding trusted sites and I've tried to delete some stuff that could be the source of the problem I've also disabled my anti-virus software(I use AVG) and I have also gone into the cmd prompt window and entered a sequence of words that start with this one regsvr32 and then something followed by a .dll and that still did not work. Please help me with this before break the only laptop I have. It's a Dell latitude c810

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kid_cudi

I had a Toshiba laptop that was doing the same thing. After further reading the fix was to upgrade the BIOS for the motherboard. Once I updated the BIOS it took the update. Toshiba was no help at all. I ended up having to troll forums for a couple of months to figure out what to do.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nexdominus

I had a Toshiba laptop that was doing the same thing. After further reading the fix was to upgrade the BIOS for the motherboard. Once I updated the BIOS it took the update. Toshiba was no help at all. I ended up having to troll forums for a couple of months to figure out what to do.

How do you update the BIOS?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Don't do the bios yet.

Make absolutely sure you aren't infected with some sort of spyware.
www.superantispyware.com / scan w/ the portable version
www.malwarebytes.org / scan w/ the free version

Turn you firewall off temporarily
Make sure your time & date are set correctly
If you have any norton product, or any "internet" security product, UNINSTALL IT.

Try that.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

First you have to find the maker of the Motherboard in the PC. Then usually you can just start CMOS when you computer boots up and point it to a file you have saved on a flash drive , hard drive etc. My motherboard was a ASUS with EZ Flash but yours may and probably will be totally different.

C810 Manual
OFC. Dell Documents

edit on 19-10-2010 by Nexdominus because: (no reason given)

Edit: You can also try to install the update in safe mode. When your computer boots up start hitting the F8 key. You should get a menu that pops up to start windows in safe mode. Start hitting F8 after the POST data or splash screen from tell pops up.
Mico$oft SafeMode

edit on 19-10-2010 by Nexdominus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Another common cause of this problem is antivirus software. I suggest removing your antivirus software and installing the updates and then reinstall the antivirus software. I know this is especially true with symantec.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by damwel
Another common cause of this problem is antivirus software. I suggest removing your antivirus software and installing the updates and then reinstall the antivirus software. I know this is especially true with symantec.

What about AVG?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Sounds like the NET framework 3.5 from your post. I have seen it quite a few times. Basically have to uninstall all the .NET software and reinstall.
blogs.msdn.com...
You need .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to remove the software because it will not uninstall in most cases.
Reinstall .NET using Windows Update.
If your issue is not the .NET junk then ignore.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by staple
Sounds like the NET framework 3.5 from your post. I have seen it quite a few times. Basically have to uninstall all the .NET software and reinstall.
blogs.msdn.com...
You need .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to remove the software because it will not uninstall in most cases.
Reinstall .NET using Windows Update.
If your issue is not the .NET junk then ignore.

Here is the list of the 6 updates that really love to fail and cause pain. These are the only updateds I have left and they all have completed an EPIC FAIL many times.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP x86 (KB979909)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Update for Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB982168)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2418241)

Security Update for .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB983583)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 Update for Windows Server 2003 and

Windows XP x86 (KB982524)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update for .NET versions 2.0 through 3.5 (KB951847) x86

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Do you have a legal and registersd version of Windows?

If not it may not allow you to update.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

yep. you need to use the .NET framework removal tool and remove all the .Net 1, 2, 3 versions. Reinstall using the windows update.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I was actually able to remove two of the .NET frameworks from my computer without using the tool but I still cant delete the other one because it will affect files on my computer. How do I use the tool anyway, btw I deleted AVG also

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Its going to have a big list of everything affected and yes they will be broken if you do not reinstall the NET framework. Ignore all the drama it says you will have because windows will still boot after you remove the bad .NET software.

Just run the tool. It will ask what version of the framework you want to remove. You can try individually but I would just remove all of it. It will do its thing and remove the software and require a reboot. After that you can go to windows update and download the NET software you need.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I used the tool and removed all and restarted and now it's installing the updates but it's installing service pack 1 for .NET framework 3.5 is that what I need or do I need a higher service pack?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
You need 2 and 3. If you can still, select the version 2 first and then 3. If not, it should still install even if windows puts it on in the wrong order.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Its actually installing the updates now but will have to go back and install 2 and then 3 in order to get what I want. Its only installing 1 right now cuz I deleted everything. Its been installing for 2 hours and its only on 8 0f 10 updates installed OMG its making me so mad. lol

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kid_cudi

Its actually installing the updates now but will have to go back and install 2 and then 3 in order to get what I want. Its only installing 1 right now cuz I deleted everything. Its been installing for 2 hours and its only on 8 0f 10 updates installed OMG its making me so mad. lol

Years ago MS made such a big deal about .NET they even named their flagship OS, windows server, as .NET server. Since then they gave up the NET name and released 4 versions of the software. One would think that 2 would replace 1 and 4 could replace all previous but the real world is different. Issues like yours should not happen but actually is common.

Seems to me that you are on the right boat in the right ocean heading the right way. Good luck with the rest of the installs and post back if it works out or not.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Use Ubuntu mate,
www.ubuntu.com...

edit on 20-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I would say you have a software problem. I am a repairman, and just two days ago I had one of those little Acer Notebooks with a bad virus on it. The OS was Windows 7, and the customer stated she did not want 7 anymore, she wanted Windows XP installed, which I did for her. All service packs and security, including other software, all installed without a problem. I will not install Windows 7 for anyone, way to full of security holes, poor firewall, back doors, and a memory hog.
No wonder Microsoft is working so hard on Windows 8 and 9. Erase the drive and do a fresh install of XP, and do not use the RESTORE CD! All it does is create a new partition and transfers the virus to the new partition. You are still in the same boat. U2 me and I will tell you how to get XP.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahmose
Use Ubuntu mate,
www.ubuntu.com...

edit on 20-10-2010 by Ahmose because: (no reason given)

I hate ubuntu lol right now I am runnning mac and windows on the same hard drive. so when I hate windows I shut off my comp and switch to mac lol its that easy. yes I am on the right track thanks guys. I now have to download and install 2 3 and 4 and thats gunna take forever with my comp. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join