It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dead Greet the Dying

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You know, this sounds nice but if it's true it could be real bad too.

Who says it's only your loved ones that come to "visit"? The dead greeting the dying could be sort of a negative thing, ya think?

"Hi, Tom, remember me?!" No thanks.

I have also had friends that were on the way out that were talking to the CRRT machine or the IV pump, so I'm not sure it's necessarily supernatural, might just be confusion.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
hi,

This is such a popular occurence that it seems to be completely real. I started a thread ages ago about this, have a look

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Had nurses saying they had experience of this.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
use logic, you can scratch pain medications as causing hallucinations as opiates don't cause hallucinations plus it would make sense God would send someone to greet you on your new life. God is merciful and loving above all else.

I am not sure what painkillers I was on in the hospital, but they made me hallucinate like crazy. My mom had some crazy hallucinations as well when she was in the hospital. Maybe they weren't opiates?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I'll propose something different. I believe that when you die, you are dead. Conscious of nothing. I beleieve that people who are visited are being deceived. They think they see someone that was already dead and then they tell the living. The living then go and tell others, spreading the deceit and misleading others. It all comes down to this...if the dead are visiting them, then the bible is a lie.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

I loved your perspective on this; if it is a matter of gaining a form of closure, or peace of mind as death draws near, one has to wonder at the sheer brilliance of either:

a) the human mind/brain, in overcoming the conscious fears of the dying individual - playing out such an effective show to calm the dying displays a huge subconscious drive to keep the person themselves and any onlookers in a positive and peaceful mindset... got to be good for encouraging life, even in the face of death?

or:

b) the inherent mercy and benevolence of the intelligence behind the universe, behind the mystery of consciousness itself. Allowing people to know ahead of time that their essence will carry on, reassuring them and perhaps providing a chance to reflect and be at peace with the world.

Refreshing to consider again why we believe the things we believe.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

Or, God is providing the dying with a means of comfort and reassurance that they can understand and relate to - a facet of his mercy, and proof to them of his goodness and benevolence, even if they hadn't formerly believed.

No need to be so cynical!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

No need for being judgemental.

If God did that, then it would undermind what is stated as the truth in the bible.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Awesome article but, I knew it sounded familiar as I had just read it this morning... It's from ellies blog on crystalinks.com... I don't see any sources mentioned so, did they completely rip off her blog and post it on CNN?

Regardless, it's a very inspiring and eye opening read!

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ignore previous post of mine... crystalinks.com actually liinked the source to THEIR page..
edit on 19-10-2010 by Ouroborus2012 because: my mistake

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust

Whether or not this phenomena is related to the misfiring of neurons in the brain, wishful thinking or even something on a much deeper, spiritual level remains to be seen.

That's often the claim. Though, do you know how many billion of neurons would have to misfire for a person to carry on a conversation? And it's not just the "malfunction". It's the amount of time the instances occur and the coincidental value to the malfunction. If a few million neurons misfired and Aunt Thelma thought she saw Uncle Fred for a split second and then peed herself ... maybe I could buy it. But, it's the fact the people often carry on conversations for several minutes ... yet all other bodily functions remain normal. Funny that all 20 billion neurons that misfired were in relation to Uncle Fred.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
S&F

Engaging and thought provoking topic. I wrote a similar thread last year. I don't wish to re-type it all again so if you'd like read my experience and some other members moving accounts please visit : Witness to the Dying Process

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Who's being judgmental? I was just suggesting an alternative viewpoint..

The remark about cynicism was an observation, not a judgment - I fully understand the viewpoint you maintain.

EDIT TO ADD - The Bible's claims of the process of death and dying are oft-misunderstood, certain things are generally ignored as they seem to support a more esoteric mindset than the fundamentalists would have people ascribe to. For example, there are definite references to astral travel, the process of dying (the severing of the 'silver cord' at the point of death is but one example). There are references to an attack by extraterrestrial life forms (interstellar beings) as part of God's judgment on the Earth, there are multiple references to alien craft, and the interdimensional nature of the angels and demons. Multiple references can be found attesting to the reality of clairvoyance and the reality of contacting the dead as a medium. It is frowned upon, but it is repeatedly claimed as a true thing, and a potentially accurate source of info for the living.

It's all there, if you look hard enough. It's worth noting that books that were written in the same Spirit as those of the Bible were prevented from being included in the formal canon, because the contents would have undermined the position of certain groups controlling the information.

edit on 20-10-2010 by FlyInTheOintment because: clarification of a point

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by snusfanatic

The reason I titled this thread as I did is because I believe the dead do in fact greet the dying. It's an undisputed fact that the dying, at least, believe such a thing happens to them.

When my great-grandmother was dying in our home, she took my old bedroom and I moved to the addict. One day while watching TV with my mother she looked over to an empty chair and back to my mom "Sandy....is little Nathan dead?" My mom responded, "Yes." My great-grandmother looked puzzled, not confused, just puzzled as if she was being given two completely contradictory statements at the same time to work out in her head. She died a couple days later.

The reason I post this in the medical issues forum is because I believe this is first a medical issue. I would like to know what people of all or no religious beliefs think about this article and, in particular, the best scientific arguments against my assertion that the dying are, in fact, greeted by the dead.

I think it's important to clarify a point in this discussion: what does it mean to say that "the dead meet the dying?" Does it mean that a previously deceased individual has some part of his/herself (for example, a nonmaterial 'soul') that survives death and is able to communicate with a dying individual? I assume this is what you mean.

I am relatively certain that the answer here is "No". I've not seen any evidence to suggest that deceased individuals can communicate with us after death, or even that any part of them survives death. I suspect that the dying individual imagines her deceased loved ones, essentially as one would during a dream.

Originally posted by tyranny22
Though, do you know how many billion of neurons would have to misfire for a person to carry on a conversation? And it's not just the "malfunction". It's the amount of time the instances occur and the coincidental value to the malfunction. If a few million neurons misfired and Aunt Thelma thought she saw Uncle Fred for a split second and then peed herself ... maybe I could buy it. But, it's the fact the people often carry on conversations for several minutes ... yet all other bodily functions remain normal. Funny that all 20 billion neurons that misfired were in relation to Uncle Fred.

I often have many of my neurons "misfiring" while I'm asleep.
edit on 20-10-2010 by imnotbncre8ive because: (no reason given)

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment

EDIT TO ADD - The Bible's claims of the process of death and dying are oft-misunderstood, certain things are generally ignored as they seem to support a more esoteric mindset than the fundamentalists would have people ascribe to.

The fundamentalists have not somehow misinterpreted the Bible, seeing as how they are the world's experts on the Bible. You have simply imagined more into the Bible than was there to begin with.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by imnotbncre8ive

Are you serious? They haven't misinterpreted the whole of the Bible, but they most certainly have decided to ignore certain sections which point to realities that they prefer not to think about. I'm not criticising them as such, I'm just making the point that there is more to the Bible than meets the eye. There are different levels of interpretation available. God caters to all mindsets, including those who like to dig away at reality to unearth various esoteric phenomena - these people are justified by the inclusion of references to those same phenomena in 'God's book' as it were.

I don't see any references from you which prove my points wrong?

I'd rather not have to take the time to dig out all the scriptures I'm referring to - it would take a long time, as there's a lot of them and it's a while since I checked out where most of them are.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I never truly believed in all this until my grandfather's death. Dying from lung cancer, in his last six days at the hospital while being on morphine and hooked up to the machine all he wanted was to quickly recover and go home finally, I was amazed how stongly he was fighting for his life and he would even get mad at anyone who thought he'll stay in the hospital another week. I visited my grandfather twice a day while he was there. His mind was always clear, he would always smile when he saw me and would even joke by offering to try the famous gourmet hospital food
One evening as I was walking down the corridor to my grandpa's room, I heard him loudly talking to someone and was sure to find one of my family members visiting; but nobody was there!!! My grandfather was fully awake, and alert but seemed a little disappointed. As soon as he saw me he said, "Oh, where did she go? I can't believe you just missed her!" while looking at the door. I was sure he was talking about the nurse but decided to ask anyway who was just here. And he looked at me, as if I was completely blind, "My mother! Your great grandmother!"(she died a few years before that) then he changed the subject by asking questions about my day. Nurse walked in to give more drugs to my grandpa and I've asked if she was in his room recently and she said, No!, but also heard when passed by his room a few times that he was clearly speaking with "someone". I remember my grandfather was really tired and weak that night. He would fall asleep and 5 minutes later wake up to make sure I was still there, that I was not leaving to go home yet. For some reason, that night was different. I did not know what it was, but it sure felt different somehow. My grandfather seemed different, more peaceful and relaxed, almost as he was certain of something. Then once again, he opened his eyes, looked at the door which was wide opened, and like a happy kid started to smile. I was sitting in a chair right next to the door, there was nobody outside the room and in the hallway and my grandpa continiued starring at the doorway saying:"Come on in! Please! Have a seat!! We have another chair for you!" and looked at the empty chair which was right next to me. At that very moment I started to feel chills down my spine and was afraid to even move or disturb my grandpa. As I was watching my grandfather, he was looking at "someone" and then saying:"Oh, okay...come back when you can". I was even afraid to interrupt whatever it was he was saying and whoever he was referring to. I don't think I was able to speak at all at that moment, but my grandpa just took a deap breath and said:" My father just came to see me again, unfortunately he could not stay. But he said he will return very soon." (I don't remember my great grandfather, he died when I was 2 yrs old). Until today, I can't even explain or describe those two episodes of communication my grandfather had with his parents that night. It was so real!! As if he was talking to them and not realizing they were dead after all. My grandfather's ability to switch and carry normal conversation between two worlds proved to me that life does exist after death. Another thing which completely left me speechless that night - when the nurse came in to remind me of their hospital policy and visitors' hours, as I was getting ready to leave, my grandfather gave me one of those long, loving, tight squeezing hugs and started to cry like a baby. He said to me that I should always remember how much he loves me and if I am ever lost in life or need anything... just to call on him and he will always be here for me. I asked him not to talk like that, since I was coming back in the morning to see him again, but he just smiled and repeated again those same exact words. I was chocking on my tears (like I do now now as I write this).... as painful as it sounded, my grandfather somehow knew (I also felt it, but still was in denial) that this was the last time we see each other. I left the hospital, my grandfather passed away 3 hours later. It's been five years since he died.... I miss him so much. One thing I know for sure now, my grandpa will be there to greet me one day. Very touching topic, I thank you kindly for this post.

posted on Nov, 11 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Whether or not this phenomena is related to the misfiring of neurons in the brain, wishful thinking or even something on a much deeper, spiritual level remains to be seen.

It's not misfiring of neurons. They are slowly entering the spirit world, and that's why they see them.

The medical industry gives this excuse because they, like anyone in power, will do whatever it takes to convince people the spirit world is all hocus pocus. If people knew the truth, they would live their lives differently, and TPTB can't have that.

Talk to nurses (alone) and you will find they have some very interesting stories. Doctors have more to lose, so they will tend to keep their mouths shut.
edit on 11/11/10 by NuclearPaul because: typo

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 03:02 AM
link   

There is no indisputable evidence suggesting that what is contained in "The Bible" is any more factual than it is a lie. What amazes me is that the many who are "religiously oriented", those whom take stock in the fantastical and absurd nature of the stories that "The Bible" contain as word for word fact, always seem to dismiss this type of subject matter and accompanying experiences as being possible. So it is logical and rational to believe in a "second hand" story that a man rose from the tomb and then just vanished into the ether? Yet to consider the possibility that we are greeted and met by the dead around the time of our own death, or the death of our loved ones, just doesn't make logical or rational sense? This is where religious stigma and personal [non-religious] belief come into direct and complete conflict. So you are basically saying that the dead cannot greet the dying just because "The Bible" says so, and why?,,because it is the "The Bible"! There have been plenty of accounts of very religious individuals having these types of experiences, but their belief in "The Bible" or it's speculative truths were not shaken in the least, if anything their faith was strengthened. But I do not believe that a religious view should close ones eyes to the possibility that this does indeed happen. I mean how would you be affected if and when making it to the "other side", only to be faced with the fact that that there is no "Kingdom of Heaven", as you have perceived it, awaiting you after years of devoting yourself to the "written word". That would be the ultimate lie. But I will say this, in my dying minutes, I would prefer the idea and possibility of seeing the faces of my dearly departed waiting to usher me to the "other side" than to die clutching ideals based on stories contained in a 2000 year-old work of fiction... Just my opinion...

posted on Dec, 8 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by openmind444

I know. My beliefs aren't near as fun to believe in. I have believed like you believe now. My eyes have been opened. I hope that yours will open someday.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join