It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on living in seclusion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I don't mean like a recluse, never leaving your home, I mean seclusion as in you're the only one for miles. Totally dependent on nature. I want to do it so badly. I'm not antisocial, i'm actually watching the penguins game right now with several friends. It seems as though I want to run from society. I don't, I just don't feel like dealing with it any more.

Also, if you were to, whether for a week or for life, where would you choose?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
For me I would personally choose an isolated forest since I am largely ignored by alot of people due to my weird personality

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
90 00 S, 0 00 E

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
If i didn't have any family left then yes absolutely i would love to live some where secluded from society oh it would be nice .

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I think about it all the time. A nice forest somewhere away from it all. Count me in--this society is pretty much finished anyway.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
At this point in my life all I really want to do is live alone somewhere with a lot of trees and a really cold loch to swim in, maybe have a dog or a horse or company.
Have you ever read Walden?

EDIT - where do people consider this to be possible? There are no sufficiently large forested areas in my native Scotland. I figure I will need to move to the rockies at some point. If you've ever seen the film 'shooter' with Mark Wahlberg that's the kind of house I'm dreaming of.
edit on 18-10-2010 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I think that's a common interest these days. I know a number of people who want to just quit their jobs and disappear into the wild somewhere. My wife and I, after watching the movie 'the Village', found that lifestyle very appealing. Something more simplistic and genuine. So much of the world has become narcissistic its kind of sickening. I blame technology to a degree, definitely websites like twitter and facebook where its all commentary on the mundane.

If the economy won't work for you, don't work for the economy.

greenbuildingelements.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I once lived on a small island with a group of friends in the Northern Isles of Scotland.
It was possible to get away and be alone just be surrounded by raw nature there.
We were self sufficient, growing our own crops and doing our own thing with no outside interference.
It was the best time of my life.

The crazy world just seemed to disapear and I felt so alive.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by artistpoet

I'm just curious... why did you come back?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
reply to post by artistpoet

I'm just curious... why did you come back?

I came back for personal reasons but those are now resolved.
The place is still there and though only a few remain there we set up what we wished to achieve.
We were able to renovate old property and put the land to use for growing food.
At that time some 30 years ago we were aware that in the future many things could occur and we wished to set up somewhere where would not only survive but be in a position to help others
It is a place I may one day return to if things get too bad.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I would probably do it just for a week or so to rest my mind and body from all the stress. I don't think I would be able to do it for life though.

I would choose right beside a drinkable stream or lake so I would have water. I would probably have to eat fruits though.

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arkady
At this point in my life all I really want to do is live alone somewhere with a lot of trees and a really cold loch to swim in, maybe have a dog or a horse or company.
Have you ever read Walden?

EDIT - where do people consider this to be possible? There are no sufficiently large forested areas in my native Scotland. I figure I will need to move to the rockies at some point. If you've ever seen the film 'shooter' with Mark Wahlberg that's the kind of house I'm dreaming of.
edit on 18-10-2010 by Arkady because: (no reason given)

Yes i have seen the movie as well and love it the house is beautiful too and have a dog as a companion plus the guns haha .

posted on Oct, 25 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Schmidt1989

I spend a fair amount of time in the Oregon Cascades and to say I enjoy it would be an understatement. It's the chicken soup that works on my soul but I've never seriously considered a one way trip.

You would probably enjoy the films this guy made if you haven't seen them yet. He did it in an impressive way in Alaska.

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I know i have replied to this before but i am bored and felt like it , if i had a cabin built somewhere secluded and had food and water stored up for a good while then i don't think it would be too bad .

I am tired of it all even though i am only 21 i wanna escape from it all so bad and just rest my mind and soul they need the rest and so do i ....

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I wouldn't stay in one place but I do want to just "walk away" as it were. I plan on eventually hiking cross country for as long as I can walk. I'll probably die doing it. Not from something sinister, but I might fall out at the age of 70 or something still trying to climb mountains.

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
i do this often in the summer i just drop everything and leave to my familys land and stay in our cabin for about two weeks where theres no tv or even cell phone reception. but i pretty much go there and have a mini vacation whenever possible even if its just for the weekend as i can explore nature and see the best view of of stars without the cleveland light pollution that ruins my star gazing

posted on Nov, 9 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've lived mostly in small towns and rural communities. I liked it. I'm in a city now. I hate it. The constant noise, sirens all the time, rude people. Seeing nothing but concrete and buildings bothers me, too. I don't like to go out much because of that. As society becomes even more anti-social, the idea of living on a piece of land with at least 50 acres appeals to me more and more. So does growing my own food and getting the rest through hunting and fishing. Right now, it's only a winning lotto ticket away. Like that'll ever happen. Sigh.

top topics

join