It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is being anonymous on ATS the right thing? I dont think so.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by MrRed

You First...

Name...
dob....
address...
political affiliations....
Children names/ages...
Spouse ....

That should do it

I'm with you on this one mate!

As for the OP, MrRed, again what kind of information do you want to know? What must be verified here and what should the ATS public at large be allowed to know about members in your opinion?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I suppose you are all right.

Its easier to slander, insult and attack people in the public eye when you can sit at home using a multitude of ways to hide who you are.

the people you fight against, or talk about or make up stories about all have their info in the private domain to some degree.

This is why conspiracy theorists are branded "crazy", "anti-this, anti-that". Its because there are too few who are open and upfront with their opinions. these few people carry the rest of you. But they are too light in numbers. They do not have support from any of YOU.

NO one will take you seriously when they have no face to put to a theory. No matter how plausible and researched it is.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

I'll tell you exactly who i am.
Who are you?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectJimmy

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by MrRed

You First...

Name...
dob....
address...
political affiliations....
Children names/ages...
Spouse ....

That should do it

I'm with you on this one mate!

As for the OP, MrRed, again what kind of information do you want to know? What must be verified here and what should the ATS public at large be allowed to know about members in your opinion?

I just want each person who wishes to post opinion or threads to have a FACE that is of YOU. Plus a first name. This can be varified with the owners of ATS......through a system.

NO OTHER details for members on members.

BUT A REAL FACE pic and first name confirmed by the ATS admin.

Thats all.

Unless you dont have any faith in the owners of ATS?

They already have some of your details. So you trust them that much. Or dont you?
edit on 18/10/10 by MrRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Lol

Think ATS has become a refuge for most people from mainstream ideas,ect. Sure there's alot of crazy threads and claims but you can ignore them if you so choose. No one said you have to read every thread. Think it's all part of the learning process anyway, for most members. You start to get better at the content you post and you start learning a whole lot more from other members.

People are people.

I will definately terminate my account if I had to start paying. And there's no way I'm sharing any personal info with anyone on this site. Think it's all just a phase anyway for some members. Mean,with all the Nostradamus predictions going around and the end of the world stuff I think people have turned conspiracy sites looking for answers or trying to catch some shine, who knows.

But yeh, even if you ask people to verify themselfs they'll just find loops holes anyway.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

Like a swingers site you mean?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
"So please discuss this. Am I wrong to even suggest this?"

Hi Mr Red, No, you are not wrong, merely looking for solutions to a problem that infests the world wide 'web.'
As you can see I've just signed up, and yes, this is my name. I'm signed up to many forums & the only one I don't use my own name on is the Icke forum (was rather tipsy one night when I signed up and put my password as my username, lol).

I don't mind people knowing my opinions and ideas.

I've been a mod on the Icke forum and I help moderate another forum, a freeman site & have found that if these people were to be shut out entirely the forums start getting attacked behind the scenes with 'denial of service' problems. Seems to be if they're not allowed to disrupt the game they don't allow the game to take place. Sad but that's how they play it.

I used to get frustrated by them a few years ago. Bitter & twisted even, but now my brain knows how to filter the rubbish and get to the nuggets of info that's important.

Have fun & be happy!

Darren
edit on 18-10-2010 by DarrenPollard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed
I suppose you are all right.

Its easier to slander, insult and attack people in the public eye when you can sit at home using a multitude of ways to hide who you are.

the people you fight against, or talk about or make up stories about all have their info in the private domain to some degree.

This is why conspiracy theorists are branded "crazy", "anti-this, anti-that". Its because there are too few who are open and upfront with their opinions. these few people carry the rest of you. But they are too light in numbers. They do not have support from any of YOU.

NO one will take you seriously when they have no face to put to a theory. No matter how plausible and researched it is.

Are you going somewhere with this MrRed or is this just going to turn into a rant about how people on here were mean to you?

If you'd like to make a real proposal we can debate it, if not relax and let it go mate, this is the internet. Winning an argument on ATS isn't really worth much in the grand scheme of it, and neither is loosing one. Yea we've all got a degree of anonymity on here because you know what, we are conspiracy theorists and we get to be a bit eccentric.

We're not completely anonymous of course, when you see a post by me, with my little Jenny Sparks avatar and Imagine lyric at the bottom you'll get used to the kind of style I've got over time, and learn a good bit about my opinions I'd think. The same is true for most posters on here.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Why don't you lead by example and post up your real face and name? My first name is Sean and that's all you'll get.

I am a hideous creature of the night, hence why I don't post my actual face. It is for your benefit. As you might recoil in terror...

But as you rightly state ATS admin already have some of my details in fact Skeptic Overlord has my full name and proper email. I assume he didn't just delete the email I sent. Although I never did see my ATS skin on the home page.

edit on 18-10-2010 by Big Raging Loner because: To add I flagged this as it is certainly a topic worthy of discussion!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by discolo

Hi,

Im not sure what a swingers site has in terms of ID fronting.

Could you tell me?

If its just a Face pic and a first name then yes.

We dont need to know DOB, addresses or shoe size as some people think i was referring.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

Its not just the sex card, there are plenty of people on both sides of the gender fence (and probably a few in the middle as well) who have had abusive spouses or partners whom they would like to remain disconnected from. Could you sleep at night knowing that you enabled someone to be hurt or killed with such a concept? Would the perceived benefit to the community outweigh the potential harm or death of members who previously wished to remain anonymous for safety reasons?

Honestly this concept stinks of short-sightedness, I suspect if this issue were put up to poll the mind of the membership an overwhelming majority would NOT want their details splashed all over every post so that it was easily indexed by search spiders and quickly located by even the most average of users with a basic knowledge of how to use Google.

Its also easier to sit behind a machine and discuss concepts that if you talked about at work around the water cooler would put your job in jeopardy. Having this handle instead of my actual name means that I can post topics here and not have to worry about a future security clearance coming back as unfavorable because a handful of posts turned up saying the government is about as crooked as a paper-clip thats been through the blender. It means that if some religious zealot who things I'm the spawn of satan because I don't follow his particular flavor of faith can't track me down and burn my house one night because his deity said he should.

Oh wait now you also want a full face picture as well? I guess in a few more pages a cell phone number and street address will come into play somehow. I'm going to go ahead and call clever shenanigans on this one, something smells foul about this whole thread now that I think about it. If you can't grasp why anonymity is good and protects everyone including YOURSELF then its a lost cause, have fun!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

What difference would a real face pic make for you? Do you give credit to those you preceive is okay looking? Are ugly people not allowed to post content?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I've never said anything on here that I wouldn't want a potential employer to see and I don't care who knows my opinion about anything.

BUT - I value my privacy. I don't want my name or my photograph on here or on any other forums. It's that simple.

Another thing to take into consideration is that as long as we are anonymous our words have equal weight, unless we screw up badly and make ourselves look like an idiot.

We cannot be judged by our gender, age, ethnicity, attractiveness or whatever else. All the usual prejudices that people will have don't come into play so long as we retain our anonymity.

That's a very valuable thing and I wouldn't want to lose it.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SlovenlyGhost

I would have to agree with you... What is the point of a face pic and a real first name, you can't really tell what a troll would look like, or what their first name would be.

Plus think about this, a face pic and a first name, a troll decides to harass you and finds your facebook page, based on some info you put into threads giving away the area you live or where you work and narrows it down. I can see this doing way more harm then good, like allowing the government to snoop all of our digital data.
edit on 18-10-2010 by TKDRL because: Thought of another thing and added it

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse. Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express critical, minority views . . . Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society.

- McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Comm'n, 514 U.S. 334 (1995).

I see where you're coming from, but despite our differences on this site, we must remember that we're all a minority in the greater society. The benefit of revealing ourselves to each other would be dwarfed by the chilling effect that knowing we're not anonymous would have on our discourse here.

Anonymity makes a better ATS.

I'd rather have a less-polite but vibrant community here then the kind of lame, college-newspaper platitudes you see when people have to moderate themselves out in the open. There's anonymity of name and there's anonymity of ideas. Sometimes you can only take the veal of anonymity off of ideas, and truth, by shielding the thinker, or truth-bringer's identity.
edit on 18-10-2010 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrRed
I just want each person who wishes to post opinion or threads to have a FACE that is of YOU. Plus a first name. This can be varified with the owners of ATS......through a system.

NO OTHER details for members on members.

BUT A REAL FACE pic and first name confirmed by the ATS admin.

Thats all.

Unless you dont have any faith in the owners of ATS?

They already have some of your details. So you trust them that much. Or dont you?
edit on 18/10/10 by MrRed because: (no reason given)

A face an a first name is enough to confirm an identity? Maybe if you're Madonna. If that was required would I be here? Hell no! I really don't have anything to prove and neither do the other members of this site. So the Admins have my IP address, well that doesn't mean that I do no use a proxy or something, there's a degree of trust that we as users must have for each other, that helps make us a community.

You as a fellow user must make your own judgments, if you do not believe I am who I say I am or anyone else is for that matter, that's your call.

I really see no reason why these identity tests would ever be needed at all to be honest.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

Mr Loner,

Hi there, I understand your concerns. And I thiank you for saving my eyes from the horror of your face

This thread was more of a way to suggest keeping things above board and a way of being able to take the word of someone without a face to go with it.

I can not take the word of anyone on here as I really on seeing who i talk to. Even blind people want to feel peoples faces to "see" who they are interacting with.

I for one would not be judging someone beauty on a forum like this.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrRed

hahahaha.

hahahahh.

Actually,

edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: To add: Bwahahahahahhahaha

On a more serious note

edit on 18-10-2010 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Yea, this isn't facebook.

This is ATS, a place where a lot of paranoid people, some with serious mental health issues, (and some who like to abuse the paranoid people some with serious mental health issues.) come to talk to each other.

Real names won't fly here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join