It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Office Shooting: Henning, Tennessee Sight Of Incident

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Post Office Shooting: Henning, Tennessee Sight Of Incident

www.huffingtonpost.com

HENNING, Tenn. — Two gunmen opened fire Monday at a post office in a rural West Tennessee town that was home to "Roots" author Alex Haley, killing two workers during what a survivor and authorities described as an attempted robbery.
The shooting happened Monday morning at the post office in Henning, the Lauderdale County Sheriff's Department said. Officers were searching for a maroon Chevrolet Malibu with two men inside, and no arrests have been made.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.topix.com
www.wmctv.com

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I still cannot believe no one else posted about this. I kept using keywords in the search and nothing about this came up.

Well, anyway, this is a small town in Tennessee. So far they haven't caught the people who did it yet. They put financial buildings under heightened security. Some places closed early.

Two female postal workers were gunned down. Some think that robbery could be a motive.

I used key words Tennessee post office shooting and post office shooting and even copy/pasted the town into a search and nothing came up. So, if this is a dup, not my fault. I still cannot believe no one has posted this since it happened this morning. Something is wrong with that.

I hope they catch the gunmen soon.

With the economy in the toilet, more of this is going to happen. I don't know why they didn't just rob them and leave instead of killing the poor women. That is totally wrong.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessicamsa

www.wmctv.com...

Local news report.

Story hasn't hit national news even though it happened at 9 a.m. this morning?

This is why I have been wearing my gun 100% of the time for the past month. More and more stories like this. Too bad someone in that room wasn't armed besides the criminals. Maybe those women would still be alive. At the very least they would be investigating dead criminals instead of fleeing criminals.

Thanks for the story. Star and flag for you.

Why rob a post office in the first place and why shoot the clerks? If you don't mind shooting people, why not rob a bank or a night club, or a check cashing place? Someplace with a lot more cash?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Maybe the perps picked the place for lack of security. It seems it was a little while before the bodies were even found. If they'd hit a bank then the security would've alerted police a lot faster.

They're probably out of the area by now, seeing how it's a small town and all. It would be stupid of them to stay in the town after the shooting. Of course, many criminals are pretty stupid...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   

That is why I am confused? That would make sense if they didn't want to hurt anybody, but if their plan is to go in, shoot the clerks and take whatever they want, then they could have taken a bigger target with a better payoff.

You choose an obscure low traffic target if you want to minimize risk. You use lethal force if you want to maximize payoff. You don't choose an obscure target with minimum payoff, and use maximum force?

Makes absolutely zero sense!

I hate to jump to outrageous conclusions so early, but I am thinking there was a specific package in that post office, and there is no telling what it might have been, or where it might be going!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Actually, it makes sense. Had they done a bank robbery, there would be cameras all over the place. Police would be alerted sooner.

The shooters didn't want attention brought to it for a long length of time. So they shot the clerks so that they couldn't call the police as soon as they left or identify them later. They probably didn't wear disguises.

The shooting was to cover up the crime to help their escape.

I hope they catch them. It seems a vehicle with two men were seen in the area before, so they're looking for them.

A post office does have cash in it.

They could have been stealing mail as well.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

But murder, especially during commission of another crime, comes with a maximum penalty. Surely it wasn't "necessary" to kill two female post office clerks to get a few bucks from their cash drawer? The violence indicates either professionals intent on moving very quickly or psychos, but psychos don't usually work in pairs, and psychos would surely have robbed something with a better payoff or a more convenient location?

I hear ya, and I know a post office has some cash, and I know people kill convenience store clerks all the time for $20 and some cigarettes, but my instinct tells me the post office and the quick kills points to something planned and executed professionally.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Maybe. I mean it sounds kind of planned out to me.

If they didn't want to kill them then they could have disguised themselves and tied them up.

Maybe it was a hit on one of the women and the other was killed to get rid of the witness. Maybe there's an insurance policy on one of them?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I tend to agree here, it makes more sense that the murders were for non identifying of the perps....
What if a couple Zetas were expecting something from the south?
Would they nessessarily want to leave a couple of witnesses?
Suppose the delivery of their particular parcel was observed by them, and they knew it was there waiting?
Further details may not be available for a while either....lerts hope somebody picks this up....

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
www.indyposted.com...

Here's an update.

I still don't understand why this isn't national news by now.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How tragic, I heard it my radio in the car about noon today, didn't check the news but did get a breaking news email from clickondetroit.com, time was mid morning but didn't open it as I wasn't here.

This bring back sad memories of the shootings at the Royal Oak Post Office in the 1991, one of those killed was my Postman I knew him for years.

Royal Oak, Michigan in 1991

The U.S. post office in Royal OakOn November 14, 1991 in Royal Oak, Michigan, Thomas McIlvane killed five people, including himself, with a Ruger 10/22 rifle in Royal Oak's post office, after being fired from the Postal Service for "insubordination." He had been previously suspended for getting into altercations with postal customers on his route.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 18-10-2010 by Aquarius1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The last I've read is that there is a reward of $25k for information about who killed the women and that they're searching for two men in a car.

Such a thing is going to mess up the small town atmosphere the residents have taken for granted over the years.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

It finally hit CNN. I can't believe how long it took. Maybe because they couldn't mention "assault weapon" over and over again in the coverage.

These women went to work expecting it to just be another day.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
It seems there was another woman there who escaped and can identify the shooters. She has been taken into protective custody.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

That is good news! She can identify them, testify at trial, provide motive, etc.

Any new updates today?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

That is good news! She can identify them, testify at trial, provide motive, etc.

Any new updates today?

I have not heard/read anything else.

Why is the activity level on this website so down??? I mean years ago when I joined it was so much busier than these days. I feel like I'm on a ghost forum some days.

Anyway, if there was a witness, why didn't the authorities release a description of the shooters?? Why no description of the car at least? I mean they're looking for a maroon Chevy in one report, but the authorities are denying it at the same time. What??? How are people supposed to phone in tips if there's no description released of the suspects?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Ever been to Henning ? It's a little place just north of Memphis. Crime has been on the rise there for quite some time.It's probably going to end up that these people were from Memphis,scoping out easy pickings.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Star and Flag

I heard and saw this on my local news yesterday.....I live in Memphis and so they ran a tickler on this on the primetime shows...

Very sad

One victim was a caucasian woman in her 50's and the other was just like me...a black female age 33.

They had the victim's families interviewing yesterday. I did find it strange that the black female's brother was on the camera, nonchalant and showed no grief when he was asked baout his sister. The incident had just happened and he was on the news an hour later, very calm and coherent.

They also said that the one clerk who wasn't shot at was being questioned, I guess to try to find a reason that they were not bothered.....

I'll be sure to post and provide updates as they come in to help with the speed of the scoop

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

ty for that update.

It could be that the brother and sister weren't that close or something. Or he could've been so upset that they sedated him.

It still seems suspiciously like a hit or something.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
There has been no updates to this other than the reward being upped to $50,000.

There are flyers all over post offices asking for information.

What happened to the witness??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join