It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portable Water Desalinization Technology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Another advancement to aid in our ever shrinking provision of natural resources, particularly fresh water.
It has always seemed sad and ironic that so many go without fresh water on a planet that is mostly water.
I have watched the desalinization tech over the years and seen how it was too costly to be practical. Why wasn't more effort being put into this?

About one in eight humans do not have access to clean drinking water, according to the World Health Organization. That's approximately 884 million people.

The repercussion of this reality are a daily reality in developing nations: an estimated 1.4 million children perish each year due to diarrhea brought on by waterborne bacteria. In spite of breathtaking advances in human technology, over 97 percent of the world's water is still undrinkable.

Enter MIT's newest desalinization advancement of a portable, solar-powered system. This system uses reverse osmosis and produce up to 80 gallons per day, and there is a bigger version processing 1000 gallons per day.
A single cargo plane could transport 24 of these devices at a time. potentially creating 24,000 gallons of fresh water a day which could sustain 10,000 people.

"The system is designed to be cost effective," he explained. "It is made from standard parts such as PVC pipe and basic electronic components. It can be assembled and operated by local people who do not need advanced technical training. The units can also operate efficiently in a wide range of weather conditions. They have built in computers with sensors that can change certain variables if it gets cloudy. For example, the computer can adjust power going to the pump or the position of the valves to ensure the system will always produce water."

www.rawstory.com...

This is great news and I hope to see it used soon! I am curious as to how much one costs and the fact that one can hook it up to take with them is a valuable feature no doubt. I'd like to see some philanthropist get involved here and get these things out to needed areas.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wow this thing slipped off the board in 10 minutes, so pardon my self bump, but I think there are those here that would be glad to hear of such advances.

Peace

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I will take one, wtf can I get this tech????

I currently distill 1 gal every other day and need to up my production.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by robbinsj

No doubt robbins! I hope this isn't another "look we can save the world," but then never hear of it again type of thing. This past year I have posted numerous threads on superb advances, but I always wonder if they will become reality or not. Imo, anything that cuts into the pockets of the established energy industries, conveniently fades into oblivion, rarely heard from again.
A Green City With A Brain
www.abovetopsecret.com...
'Biofuel Cells' Could Power Gadgets With Energy Drinks
Wind Power - Personal and Portable
Gasoline From Air? Plant Enzyme Used To Power Cars
New Solar Cells First To Produce Electricity From Heat and Ligh
Poo Powered Car Seen On The Streets Of Bristol

Blah, pardon my pessimism, I'm going against my own hopefulness.

I have tried to find out where/how to purchase one of these desalinization devices, but no luck so far.
If I do I will surely return to post..

Peace,
spec

edit on 18-10-2010 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Hey spec! Nice post, I must admit I really do not know much about this kind of technology....well I dont know much about a lot of technology out there but I must say its a shame that many many people do not have access to "clean" water. Hopefully one day this will not be a problem and maybe the world leaders can actually help solve a problem like this and quit trying to sit on all their money!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Hey hey friend! I know, it sounds crazy that so many suffer from lack of fresh water with friggin' ocean's all around us!
Like the article says, one giant cargo ship of these things could make a huge difference in the health and stability of certain regions.
Thanks for chiming in man, and have a good one

peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
If we all used de-salination plants and let the rivers run free, we could improve the environment AND combat sea-level rises
/joke.

This kind of technology is great, would be great in a SHTF situation and also good in a post SHTF situation, ie third-world countries all around the world.

nice-find

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

True true ghostsoldier and I hope we see more of this SOON!
Thanks for the reply,
spec

new topics

top topics

join