It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can you survive: SHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
can you say you will survive when there is no food, no clean water? do you know how to get food/ water? can you eat bugs, kill/ hunt your food; deer, elk, or sheep. can you really say you can? would you eat raw meet to stay alive? what about plants /berry's? do you know them? take your gun your pack. what do you do when you run out of ammo, food, and medicine, insulin? no i am not being a smart @$$, just asking a tough ruff question, can you? some things i know, worms ants grass hoppers grubs and hunting for deer, getting water, were there is none, or it looks like there is none. some berry's, just because a bird or deer can eat them does not mean you can. bears are the best to see what to eat, could you eat bear meat? this is a SHTF questions no DNR, DWF, game Worden, to tell you that you cant this is survival 101, could you kill clean eat pig/wild bore.? what plants could you eat? do you know what roots to eat raw or cook boil before you can, do you know what wild onions look like? i have seen the other threads that talk about kits/ bags what would you take, do you have this stuff with you at all times? or is it in your closet or by your door? were are you now and were is you kit/ bag? let say it happens now! no power, no gas, no food, and mass panic, your on a freeway and you car stops,or in the sub way and the train stops, no light to see! are you ready to meet this or are you food for the wolfs. some things that can save your life: min mag light, leather man tool, walking shoes.for you that have a ccl/p a 38 or a 9mm pocket extra clip and cyl. food for thought from a true survivalist. add your thoughts, what would/ do you have with you at all times, what do have in your car, truck or bike that would help you in the time of need? be prepared, think that it is now, not tomorrow.
edit on 18-10-2010 by bekod because: text addition

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

As Ray Mears say's a true survivalist doesn't need any equipment, he has the knowledge to survive and if that includes making his own kit then so be it!

I'm afraid I'm no where near that level but its something I aspire to...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

I carry all sorts of survivalist things in my truck, theres usually a couple cans of food, some multi tools and rope, first aid.

I live in BC, its pretty much the easiest place in the world to survive, fresh water everywhere, filled with game, and not a soul to bother you if you drive 40 minutes in any direction.

You can bet that every deep country home has guns and ammo in it if you start to run out and when the SHTF not everyone becomes a barbarian unless you force them to through aggression.

Why would you eat raw meat? Fire and a stick is all you need for delicious bear and deer.

As for berries, the poison ones are obvious enough but most should at least carry a little folding pamphlet in the vehicle on local edible plants like I do.

We all need starches and carbs as well sometimes, I've heard you can boil the roots of cat tail plants and innumerable other sources of wild food. Pine needle teas, birch leaf salads.

I think it would be hard to die up here to be honest.

Not to mention fishing is an absolute breeze, 3 casts and you have a fish in almost any stream. Even if its only 3-4 inches long, you will survive.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
What people think they can do and what people really will and can do, are often two completely different animals. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse, though more often it's probably for the better.

When a person says they couldn't eat bugs or kill an intruder, they often will if their survival depends on it. Many people often don't know until their in a situation that calls for it. The human will to survive is extraordinary and when faced with adversity, it is amazing what we would do to continue to breath.

With that being said, I don't think it is a matter of what will people do, so much as it about what people know how to do. I have no doubt that if someone is hungry enough, they will eat bugs or kill someone who threatens their safety or the safety of their family but then the question becomes, do they know how and that is the question that will do most people in.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Just to add that I regularly go without food for a couples of days at a time (not really a choice, more a consequence of my life style) and as such I don't think I'd have a problem with going hungry for a while.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Out of curiosity, whats your activity like when you arent eating?

I know that when im in the field moving about, I like to eat every 4-8 hours minimum. but then again im usually covering a lot of ground

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
reply to post by Death_Kron

Out of curiosity, whats your activity like when you arent eating?

I know that when im in the field moving about, I like to eat every 4-8 hours minimum. but then again im usually covering a lot of ground

Typically fairly sedentary, not out of choice but due to circumstance, however I can happily go and do a day at work with no food although I'll admit that my job doesn't really have any sort of physical demands.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
i think i will do good. My family has a Ranch 200 miles north. once i get there its up in the Mt's so i dont have to worry about people. We have cattle, wild life, 8 ponds stocked with fish and year round natural springs flowing not stagnet. the problem is getting there.

I could get there by dirt bike. i can ride my bike 4-5 hours in a low gear before filling up. so i will be in a higher gear when trying to get to the ranch plus a EMP will not effect the bike. i also have a 68 camaro that might not get effected by the EMP blast. its a fully mechanical engine with no computers on it. That would be my best option if it works. I will then be able to take up all my guns and 4,000+ rounds with me.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by bekod

As Ray Mears say's a true survivalist doesn't need any equipment, he has the knowledge to survive and if that includes making his own kit then so be it!

I'm afraid I'm no where near that level but its something I aspire to...

Never where there a True statement made

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I believe that I am quite capable of surviving without my bag. While I would want to have it with me it is not necessary for survival. Everything you need to live the earth provides for you. With a little common sense you can make weapons ( even if its just a sharpened stick), build a shelter, and find water. As for fire, if you don't know how to start one, most places will have lighters/matches. But I would recommend to everyone to learn as soon as possible to learn a fire starting technique.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Honestly there is no way to know unless you go and actually try some of the things necessary to survive: foraging wild plants, eating grubs and worms etc.
Many armchair survivalists are going to be in for a rude surprise when they find out they can't build a fire in the rain, make a warm, dry shelter or set a decent rabbit trap. There's a big gap between reading such information and actually putting it into practice. All I can tell you is - it ain't always easy. Some of the things you thought were hard turn out to be simple while the simple things become impossible - just depends on the situation and conditions.
Much of what I've seen written in survival books is garbage. There are few books I would trust completely but among those I;ve found to be reliable sources of information are the SAS survival guide, Tom Brown Jr;s field guide to wilderness survival and anything by John and Geri McPherson. I would also recommend the Petersons field guide to wild edible plants. Poor information and drawings of wild plants can get you sick or killed, Just getting sick could be a death warrant in the wrong situation.
I'm always prepared somewhat: I keep a small bag in my car and carry a concealed 9mm whenever I leave home. My bug out bag is always ready to go and I keep my gas tank full at all times. If the SHTF you may not be able to get gas.
It never hurts to know your neighbors or have a family plan to meet if the SHTF. Always have a backup plan if the first is somehow compromised.
Keep your guns clean and your gas tank full.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm sure that it would be a very scary situation to be in.

My survival instincts would be coming out of my pores. haha

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Survival is dependent on the tools and the circumstances. As humans we're capable of manufacturing our own tools, so a G.O.O.D. bag isn't really necessary, though life would be much easier with one (and so mine is packed).

However, depending on the circumstance, some equipment may be necessary. Should the SHTF scenario be a meteor strike, super volcano, or viral outbreak you may want/need a Gas Mask to keep you safe from dust, ash, or whatever else might be floating around in the air. Nuclear fallout is another situation where a good gas mask is a must.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How strange for you to start this thread.

I was just having this similar conversation/argument with my room mate.

He believes the infrastructure can not be completely shut down.

He is from Illinois and a college graduate,so I know he is not very smart!

The U.S. and most industrialize countries and the residents of those countries are so dependent today on the infrastructure,that it would quickly turn in to total and utter chaos if the electrical grid were shut down.

A major earthquake and continuing after shocks in the west coast that also effected Hawaii and Alaska,a hurricane or ice storm in the east at the same time.would quickly bring this country to its knees.

Survival would depend on each individual persons intelligence.

There are millions of people who are so stupid today.

I could imagine story's of finding people,dead in their homes,with a stock pile of canned food, because the power went out and they could not use their electric can opener.

Pay attention of the number of water line breaks happening in this country daily.

Washington D.C. had them and also San Diego and Hawaii.

Not just one but multiple breaks.

To the poster who talked of high tailing it to a ranch 200 miles away.

How many bridges and overpasses/underpasses do you cross to get there?

If they go down, these will be barriers to escape.

For the first time in this country's history more people live in cities than in rural areas.

The SHTF will happen.

I think the NWO will do something around 2 Nov. to prevent people from voting.:
edit on 18-10-2010 by Oneolddude because: Because I can?

edit on 18-10-2010 by Oneolddude because: I just wanted to?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well, my first post here, so here goes. I live out in the country about 30 minutes north of a midsized city. I suppose I'm better prepared than most and not as prepared as some. I have the following:
handgun with a few boxes of ammo
2 shotguns with a few boxes of ammo
1 large caliber rifle with a few boxes of ammo
1 small caliber rifle with thousands of rounds of ammo
30 cases of canned vegetables, canning supplies
30 galons of kerosene.
Lots of wood
Above average hunting, camping, firestarting, general survival knowledge
Water filtration device
1 acre pond stocked with fish
I know I need a few 50 lb bags of rice and a few 50 lb bags of beans, plus some sugar and salt.
I've got lots of first aid stuff too
In my truck, I generally keep a knife and "all tool" and flashlight as well as a few first aid items.
My guess is the SHTF senario that will play out is one in which the economy gets so screwed up, that there are runs on banks and food and gas shortages. That is when the needy go lookin to get such things. That is when trouble starts. Hope I'm wrong, but it isn't looking very good these days.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by trouthash

You also have to consider the option that you may have to abandon your home. How quick can you get what you need and hit the road? Once the road is proverbially hit, do you have the knowledge to create everything else that you may need once the shelves have run dry?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
Honestly there is no way to know unless you go and actually try some of the things necessary to survive: foraging wild plants, eating grubs and worms etc.
Many armchair survivalists are going to be in for a rude surprise when they find out they can't build a fire in the rain, make a warm, dry shelter or set a decent rabbit trap. There's a big gap between reading such information and actually putting it into practice. All I can tell you is - it ain't always easy. Some of the things you thought were hard turn out to be simple while the simple things become impossible - just depends on the situation and conditions.
Much of what I've seen written in survival books is garbage. There are few books I would trust completely but among those I;ve found to be reliable sources of information are the SAS survival guide, Tom Brown Jr;s field guide to wilderness survival and anything by John and Geri McPherson. I would also recommend the Petersons field guide to wild edible plants. Poor information and drawings of wild plants can get you sick or killed, Just getting sick could be a death warrant in the wrong situation.
I'm always prepared somewhat: I keep a small bag in my car and carry a concealed 9mm whenever I leave home. My bug out bag is always ready to go and I keep my gas tank full at all times. If the SHTF you may not be able to get gas.
It never hurts to know your neighbors or have a family plan to meet if the SHTF. Always have a backup plan if the first is somehow compromised.
Keep your guns clean and your gas tank full.

lol wow im just like you. I always, always keep my gas tanks full. even my 5 gal tanks for my dirt bike. i dont know what it is but i do it. even if i go 10 miles to the store i will fill up on the way back. my GF gets crazy on me not know why i do it. Guns are always clean. ill clean them once every few months even when i dont use them and if i do use them i clean them with in a few hours.

Funny having other people with the same habbits. makes me not feel crazy. lol

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

WOW i did not really think about the bridges. i would have have to cross a few and the Sacramento river at least once! if i take a longer route i would have to cross three rivers one i know i can find a ford (shallow area) to cross with my bike the other, hope i find a crossible bridge.

Thanks for the wrench, im going to have to think that one out for a bit
edit on 18-10-2010 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
No.

I would be F***!!!!!

I live in the city, with about another 800,000 people. i have no weapons other than my baseball bat and some kitchen knifes.

I go Morrisons for shopping, not the feild-i wouldnt know where to start and i squirm when i see blood in my £8 12oz stake, let alone eating something i have killed with my baseball bat and set on fire with petrol because i dont know how to start a fire.

Yeah, id be pretty f***d

lets hope to god # doesnt hit the fan

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

My advise to you: Keep lots and lots of canned goods handy (about 90 days worth). 45-50 gallons of water (every time you empty a milk jug, fill it up). When the SHTF sit tight, cradling your baseball bat for 3 months. It'll take about that long for things to calm a bit. When that time comes, hit the road. Hopefully you'll meet up with someone who knows how to catch game or fish. In the meantime I would suggest that you read up on regional botany. Learn which plants are edible, and which ones are good for healing purposes.

(PS) A knife is a knife is a knife. That steak knife is more than an eating utensil. Its a ubiquitous tool that can and will be your best friend.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join