It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Refurbished Computer Or New: Which Is The Better Deal?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
motherjones.com

My last laptop lived till the ripe old age of six, but toward the end of its life, it went downhill fast. It took its sweet time to complete even the simplest of tasks. I developed a nervous tic of saving my blog posts every two or three minutes, since I never knew when my browser would freeze or suddenly quit. And since its battery was only good for about five minutes, my laptop was basically a desktop with a tiny screen. I considered replacing it with a refurbished model, but in the end I was seduced by a brand new laptop that I figured could probably do more tricks than a used one. Besides, I had heard that newer models were actually better for the environment, since they used energy more efficiently than older models.

I'm not the only one who prefers shinily new over gently used. According to a survey by Resource Recycling, a company that publishes industry news for recycling businesses, consumer sales of refurbished electronics have dropped in recent years, since retailers are "flooding the consumer electronics market with new devices that are comparable in price to used goods, but are packed with more features." So are newer computers really a better deal than refurbished models in the long run? And which kind is better for the planet?

This writer/blogger ends up endorsing refurbished computers. The author says people replace their computers on the average of every 2 1/2 years. Wow. I got mine in 2008 and it's still good; I upgrade it every time new software becomes available.

I got the computer before mine in 2000 and kept it until 08. At eight years old it was, indeed, a dinosaur. It could do barely anything compared to what I have now. Surprising how fast computers get old.

I bought my computer new and am very satisfied with it. I'm not sure where one could get a refurbished one. There used to be a store called "Dead Or Alive" that bought and refurbished computers, but it went out of business.

I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions and experiences with refurbished computers.

edit on 18-10-2010 by Sestias because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Personally I am more inclined to buy brand new. I do not buy pre-built though, I build my own. I enjoy the whole process of putting it together and keeping fingers crossed that nothing is DOA. There are sites out there that offer great deals on computer parts and, normally you will spend less then going to a store for an equal.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well the difference between a *New Computer* and a *Refurbished* one is the Hardware.A new computer comes with the latest hardware and software of that time. the whole spectrum of your Computer hardware is up to date and pleasing to the consumer. Depending on which activity you use your computer for determines how soon you will be upgrading it. In my situation i am an avid gamer and need to upgrade regularly to keep up with the high speed computer world.

I have had my computer from the beginning. I have never *per say* bought a whole new computer. But have rather upgraded certain hardware components when its time has expired or when i lag behind technologically.I must say this method caused allot of anguish with my parents because.. it always seemed as if i was buying endless computer parts..

I would have rather chosen to let my computer go through its entire life.. fizzle out and then buy a whole new computer. The unnecessary stress caused by always upgrading your computer isn't worth it

On that note. Your decision to buy a new computer proved fruitful.

Hope my input helped

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It all depends on what the computer is going to be used for. For my office computer and work computer I do buy refurbished. Where a $250 dollar computer can last me 2 year and the cycle repeats. I will be upgrading my old P4 3.2 Single core to a dual core for $250 soon. So that's $500 last two/three years for my office computer. Would have had to pay over $600 for a dual core 2 years back.

My media center (HTPC) is a refurbished units as well. All it needs to do is run three programs and watch videos, don't need latest and greatest for that, but my gaming computers I always build new units, and you can get at great computer for $1000 now. Laptops and Hard drives i like getting new as well because of the warranty and they are very cheap now a days.

Out of my 5 computers I go four refurbished (home office, work, htpc) and two new (gaming comp and netbook)

Refurbished saved a lot of money when you need at least three computers to work.

top topics

join