It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where are all the Republicans?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by justadood

Interesting. How does that contradict my main point in the OP that many Republicans are distancing themselves from the title?

You didn't offer up any proof just you personal observation.

No, I didn't. And neither did you. I figured it was common knowledge. perhaps you live in a cave?
edit on 18-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

Interesting. How does that contradict my main point in the OP that many Republicans are distancing themselves from the title?

No, I didn't. I figured it was common knowledge. perhaps you live in a cave?

Is that your idea of a valid response?

Is the cave response PROOF?

I offered numbers and stats you offered nothing,

Rasmussen Predicts Republican Gain of 55 in House...
ABCNEWS: 63 Dem House Seats in 'Serious Danger'...
Barone: Dems find careers threatened by ObamaCare votes...

Still waiting.
edit on 123131p://bMonday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Do I REALLY need to point out politicians in numerous Senate races who have been Republicans FOR EARS who are now running as so called independents?

i thought that was more of a demo dodge.

hmmm. ears.

yes, the unwashed masses, we know what you are trying to do.

kinda like human shields!! ooooooooooooooooo!!

i'm not repub/demo! i'm one of you, now!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You'll see plenty of Conservatives, which I am one of. There are a lot of "moderate" Republicans nowadays, which stray too far from Conservative for me.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

No, I didn't. Neither did you. I figured it was common knowledge. perhaps you live in a cave?

Is that your idea of a valid response?

Is the cave response PROOF?

You want PROOF of the existence of the Tea Party, or the fact that numerous Republicans are now claiming to be independent, yet you offer no proof that Democrats are distancing themselves from the party, as you claim.

Interesting. Well, Christine O'Donnel and the gentleman in Colorado both come to mind as Republicans who are running away from that label. As far as polls, i have no desire to post a link to a poll that will only be dismissed as being biased. Y

I offered numbers and stats you offered nothing,

Rasmussen Predicts Republican Gain of 55 in House...
ABCNEWS: 63 Dem House Seats in 'Serious Danger'...
Barone: Dems find careers threatened by ObamaCare votes...

Those 'numbers' dont relate to my OP at all. I didnt say the Republican party is over. I said numerous people who have called themselves 'Republicans' are now calling themselves 'Independents'. Your headlines dont even relate.

But i get that you dont get that.

Still waiting.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

No one these days seems to want to admit to being a 'Republican". Why is that? Politicians who have been Republicans for DECADES are now calling themselves 'independent'. Is this a rejection of Republican values? What happened to the Republican party? Did Bush ad his enormously expensive, illegal wars and draconian legislation like the Patriot Acts destroy it? What will become of the Republicans?

Where have all the Republicans gone??

So true, all of it.
2nd line

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

i thought that was more of a demo dodge.

hmmm. ears.

Demo Dodge? So, I'm a Democrat for noticing that many former Republicans have distanced themselves from the party of Cheney/Bush?

Wow.

ears?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

All across the country, independents -- many of them struggling blue-collar workers -- are making similar calculations. Many helped elect Obama in 2008 and solidified the Democrats' hold on Congress. They appear to be just as engaged in this new season of discontent, but on the opposite side.

"For the third national election in a row, independent voters may be poised to throw out the party in power," the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press concluded in a report released in September.

www.lancastereaglegazette.com...

So independents are voting for republican candidates?

independents -- who went for Democratic congressional candidates by 18 percentage points in 2006 congressional elections and by 8 points for Obama in 2008 -- favored Republican candidates by 13 points in Pew's mid-September survey.

the independents who are the most interested in this election and the most likely to vote favor Republicans by a wide margin.

BTW I consider myself a libertarian.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   

So independents are voting for republican candidates?

Sure. Happens all the time.

Just look at this board, for example.

How many here will admit to voting for Bush, once or twice?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

No one these days seems to want to admit to being a 'Republican". Why is that? Politicians who have been Republicans for DECADES are now calling themselves 'independent'. Is this a rejection of Republican values? What happened to the Republican party? Did Bush ad his enormously expensive, illegal wars and draconian legislation like the Patriot Acts destroy it? What will become of the Republicans?

Really? What president spent more money Bush or Obama?
Both parties are the problem and it isn't going away, its all broken.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511

Really? What president spent more money Bush or Obama?
Both parties are the problem and it isn't going away, its all broken.

I'm sorry. What does that have to do with my OP? What does this have to do with Democrats or spending? AT. ALL?

I am commenting on the amount of people who seem very unwilling to admit to being Republicans.

How many on this forum will admit to voting for Bush?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I was apathetic still at that time and did not vote at all. This election I did not vote for any of the media's chosen ones, I researched all of them, and knew they were all full of it on the campaign trail.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
" Where have all the Republicans gone?? "

Well , All the Smart ones became Libertarians , and the Rest are Still without a Clue .

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

... Is this a rejection of Republican values? What happened to the Republican party? Did Bush ad his enormously expensive, illegal wars and draconian legislation like the Patriot Acts destroy it? What will become of the Republicans?

My opinion is in agreement with those that said many voters who previously identified themselves as republicans are now leaving to become independents and libertarians. I cannot speak for every ex-republican, but in my own case i was raised catholic and conservative. then I grew up. (and educated myself) and now i am an adamant atheist and libertarian. It seems that "republicans" have expanded beyond their original purpose, to limit the size and scope of our government while preserving the constitution. Now, both parties seek to expand the government.
Democrats basically want a collectivist nanny state in the name of safety, equality, and fairness.
Republicans state that a collectivist nanny state is unnecessary, limits freedom, robs peter to pay paul, and shreds the constitution. (yey). Unfortunately they increase the government in other areas, such as military (in order to police the world) and are comprised mostly of christian fanatics who want ridiculous things like creationism to be taught alongside evolution in public schools, oppose gays and abortion on moral grounds dictated by a supernatural being 2000 years ago.

Repubs dont limit the government any more, most of the voters are religious fanatics. So the question of parties becomes "Do you want us to take your money and redistribute it as we see fit among you simple citizens OR should we take your money and buy guns/bombs and further our irrational religious agenda so that we can take war and religion to places it doesnt belong. given these choices in our sad 2 party system, an educated voter that doesn't fit either description has little choice but to become independent or some other party. Since I beleive in free market economy and the smallest gov't possible to maintain life, liberty, property, and don't think faith has place in politics, I am one of these republicans that left the party and am now a libertarian.

This is my first post, so hi all!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jmack512

interesting.
Thank you for a useful and informative addition to the conversation.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Easy, the reason all the republicans are becoming independents is as follows:

LIBERTARIAN FTW!!

edit to add:

On a more serious note.. There really is a movement towards more fiscally conservative government. The republican party that used to stand for these values has lost its way. Just look at the insane spending Bush has done

edit on 10/18/2010 by BobbinHood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobbinHood
There really is a movement towards more fiscally conservative government. The republican party that used to stand for these values has lost its way. Just look at the insane spending Bush has done

edit on 10/18/2010 by BobbinHood because: (no reason given)

I would submit that while the Republicans have indeed "stood' for said fiscally responsible values, the reality that they havent practiced it goes back much further than W.
edit on 18-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by BobbinHood

still wondering if you can point out some examples of Republicans being 'fiscally conservative'

as you claim

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Since when did social conservatism become 'revolutionary' in this country?Are we REALLY interested in turning the US into a theocracy?

Or is it that when the any party find themselves in the minority, they whip the populist frenzy and stickto nonsense social wedge issues that will never amount to anything, because ti mobilizes the rubes while keeping them distracted from things that actually matter?
edit on 20-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Look man, I said in my first post that they haven't been for a long time, but still if you ask republicans, that is one of the things they will tell you they believe in. I don't know when it changed, or any good examples of when republicans actually did what they were supposed to. I guess most conservatives would point to Reagan as an example. I don't want to quibble over the details though. That wasn't the point of my post.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join