It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 5 Developments that Obsolete the Upload Dilemma

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   

When discussing the future, one has to be careful not to consider one change in isolation, as if this one aspect were to change while everything else remains the same. I think this is what happens when substrate-independent minds are discussed. People imagine mind uploading occurring today, with today’s beliefs about self and identity. But, if we consider a broader range of changes that the enabling technologies of uploading could bring about, it becomes reasonable to suppose that the classic upload dilemma (is a copy of my mind me? Or somebody else?) will be rendered obsolete.

Source

I know there are some transhumanists on this board, as well as those who vehemently oppose it, but I think we can all agree that it's amazing what progress we've already made, and what current research could mean for the future. While I am a supporter of transhumanism I have always had a problem with the upload dilemma, and while this article may not completely answer my questions, it at least provides me with a better framework to work with.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Source

I have always had a problem with the upload dilemma
I read what it says about the upload dilemma but it doesn't sound like much of a dilemma to me and won't be in the foreseeable future. Perhaps in the future beyond what can be immediately foreseen, it might be an issue at some point but we are talking centuries in the future.

I believe that, as technologies like MyCyberTwin become more sophisticated, people will appreciate having an avatar that is not just a tool for communication, but also a person in its own right that collaborates with the user in order to get things done and help organize increasingly complex augmented realities.

ATS, when will the upgraded avatars mentioned be available here on ATS?

join