It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lotto Shock As Same Numbers Come Up Twice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Lotto Shock As Same Numbers Come Up Twice

uk.news.yahoo.com

Israel's latest lottery draw has thrown up exactly the same numbers as three weeks ago - at odds of one in four trillion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well, i like my conspiracies but i kinda have go with this being chance (even if it is one in 4 trillion).

But, if i am to believe that we get 1 in 4 trillion chances happening then maybe, just maybe, some of the other 'conspiracies' were just chance.

Maybe we live in a universe characterised by coincidence ? Maybe thats why we exist (if there are an infinite number of universes there has to be one where all the wild statistics come true)

Anyone here always use the same numbers in the lottery ? I wonder if the same person won this one twice ?

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
maybe they had a software problem ^^

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
My question is, how random is this? From my understanding it is very difficult to take a completely random sampling of numbers. No matter which way you do it, it provides some form of bias.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectedLogic

Viewers were stunned when the six numbers - 36, 33, 32, 26, 14, 13 - were rolled out live on television, in the exact reverse order as less than a month earlier.

A lot of bias towards the character 3 if you believe the decimal system is the be all and end all of it in numbers.

-m0r

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
its not really so odd.... the bingo parlors have a system to cause certain numbers to not pop up
in their bingo machines...

i suppose that the same numbers came up because the rest of the numbered pingpong balls
still had the last weeks cleaning agent on them...

waxing certain numbers does not 100% guarantee they will not pop up...
but the 'clean' numbers are very much, less likely, to make it to the callers hand...

the 'boss' must have been off sick that day of the drawing, and the staff were in the dark
on the protocols of a rigged lotto model

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Were these the numbers?

4 8 15 16 23 42

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Wobbly Anomaly

Im a great believer that any possibilty, no matter how improbable can and will happen if given enough time. I believe its how life came about and its what makes the universe such an interesting place to explore.

Its the reason i believe in many things like Aliens. To some the possibilty of them visiting is highly improbable, but its not impossible. So i believe it will happen or may already have or be happening.

As for lotto numbers. I dont really care unless my numbers come out. Which is improbable, but a definate possability. Thats why i religiously put my same numbers on, week in, week out.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
An immortal monkey on a typewriter will eventually write the whole works of Shakespeare, and that is more unlikely than winning the lottery every day for 25,000 years!

I would say that this is just chance, albeit pretty spooky. I wonder if the first winner had carried on with the same numbers, if not can you imagine how much he is kicking himself right now?

edit on 18/10/10 by Soshh because: typo

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

You've got to think that if they did continue to play. They would have thought " I might aswell change my numbers, theres no way they'll come up again"

Im sure there disapointment will be offset by the millions in the bank though, but still a definate bummer.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
On the other hand, the chance of getting the exact same sequence again is exactly equal to getting any other sequence. So if this outcome had a chance of 1 in 4 trillion, any other sequence of numbers also had a chance of 1 in 4 trillion.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
maybe they had a software problem ^^

I may be wrong, but I believe the Israeli lottery draw is done with a similar machine to the British one; that is to say, that they empty the numbered balls in to a physical machine that mixes them up randomly, and they get popped out a shoot, one by one.

This makes it highly difficult to actually rig the draw, unless you weight the balls previously.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This means the odds of winning that lottery are 1 in 4 trillion. And people play it?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

No thats just the odds of the same numbers coming out twice.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrypticCriminal
No thats just the odds of the same numbers coming out twice.

Which are equal to the odds of a specific set of numbers coming out.

You have two sets of numbers to be drawn, A and B. You don't care what A is. Once A comes out, now you care what B is. B has to be A. Thus, the chances of the same set of numbers coming out twice is equal to the chances of a specific set of numbers coming out.

ETA: Nevermind. I did not realize you can win without having numbers in the same order.

edit on 18-10-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
i remember in colorado, a while back,

a guy bought 3 lines for the lotto, machine picked.

won the 1st prize and 2, 2nd prizes.

nice ticket.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Statistically those are independent events. I'm not sure what the odds of hitting the Israeli lotto is, my guess the odds of drawing set of numbers is around 1 in 20 million, the odds of those same numbers getting drawn the next time is still 1 in 20 million. Lucky people have also won the lottery more than once.

new topics

top topics

join