It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who invented the Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
but in reality it's true -- nobody really knows who invented the PB&J sandwich!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ken10
Is "Jelly" in the US the same as "Jam" that we have in England ?

If so what is the best flavour to use in a peanut butter jelly sandwich ?

Oh and do you still use normal butter or margarine on the bread ?

Thanks for any replies, I'd like to give it a try

In Canada
Jam = sweetened fruit mash gelled through cooking, and addition of sugar and/or pectin
Jelly = sweetened fruit juice, strained through cheesecloth, no fruit pulp, see through, no cloudiness, pectin added.

No butter or margarine needed, peanut butter is creamy enough. I prefer whole grain bread, makes it healthy. Strawberry seems to be the most used flavor. I like mine with marmalade (orange jam). Or honey. Toasted is good too.

For something different, I used to do peanut butter and crispy iceberg lettuce sandwiches. Yes, people told me I was weird, and not many others liked it. There are so many things you can put with peanut butter.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

sounds weird but kind of reminds me of "ants on a log" which was just celery w/ peanut butter on it, then raisens on top for the "ants" - if i remember correctly..

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
yup sum1, you were just talking about this in chat...
I dont care who did it TBH, I HATE PB&J.....

Haha I was in that chat lol

PBJ rocks! Mmmmm esp with potato chips inside..OMG and a glass of cold milk.

ok...now off to make one.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I can't believe there's a "Cooking" forum on ATS.. but yea, that's a whole other story..
Anyway, "MessOnTheFed!" was just talking in the chatroom and telling me the Incas invented Peanut Butter -- so I looked into this, and apparently it's true -- sort of, anyway:

Peanut butter was invented and reinvented many times during history. Peanuts were known as early as 950 B.C. and originated in South America. The ancient Incas used peanuts and were known to have made it into a paste-like substance. As a crop peanuts emigrated from South America to Africa by early explorers and then traveled by trade into Spain who then traded the product to the American colonies. The first commercial peanut crop was grown in Virginia in the early to mid 1840's and in North Carolina beginning around 1818.

According to the Corn Products Company, Dr. Ambrose Straub of St. Louis patented a peanut butter-making machine in 1903 and some unknown doctor invented peanut butter in 1890.

The History Of Peanut Butter

Ok.. so the Incas were the first to make peanut butter - but it wasn't "official" until 1890 - still a good 50 years or so BEFORE 1940.... weird. And nobody knows who the inventor of peanut butter in 1890 was either? Weird.

So.. what about jelly? This also turns out to be a lot harder than I expected to try and find an answer to, the best I could find - and for all I know it could be just made up -- is the following:

The making of jam and jelly probably began centuries ago in the Middle Eastern countries, where cane sugar grew naturally. It is believed that returning Crusaders first introduced jam and jelly to Europe; by the late Middle Ages, jams, jellies and fruit conserves were popular there. In fact, the word "jelly" comes from the French word "gelée" which means to congeal. The use of cane sugar to make jam and jelly can be traced back to the 16th century when the Spanish came to the West Indies where they preserved fruit.

Who invented Jelly?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join