It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth in Milk Labeling - Monsanto fails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

At the end of September, a federal court struck down an Ohio law forbidding companies from labeling dairy products as made from milk that is “rBGH free,” “rBST free,” or “artificial hormone free.” In its ruling, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals said that the law violated dairy processors' First Amendment rights and was “more extensive than necessary to serve the state’s interest in preventing consumer deception.”

Thank goodness. I was reading a thread on here some time ago about the FDA not allowing "Non-GMO" labels on food. Hopefully this precedent will trickle down.

The Ohio law was the result of a national campaign sponsored by Monsanto, which originally developed the genetically modified hormones in 1994. Around the time Monsanto was developing the hormones, the FDA found—in spite of scientific testimony to the contrary—that there was “no measurable compositional difference” between milk from cows that had been treated with hormones and milk from cows that hadn’t been treated with hormones. As John Robbins points out, that finding, controversial at the time, was overseen by a former Monsanto lawyer who was working at the FDA, who went right back to work for Monsanto after leaving the agency.

This article goes to show that Monsanto is a corporation whose employees work their way into our government to help pass laws that help Monsanto's profits at the expense of our health.

When are we going to see some change? Show this article to some of the people you work with or your family members, and ask them to pass it on. It's one step in the right direction.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It is good news. One step in the right direction, at least. I posted about this ruling a few days ago but no one really paid attention.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the post and good news that Monsanto has been stopped for a change.
They are criminals against nature - we do not want their crap

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Good. At least not all of the system is corrupt. We as citizens have a complete right to know what we're eating. I wish more people would be angered by this.
I don't see how in the world anyone could think that something made in nature, and something created by humans in a lab, could be the same on any level. That's called playing God, which is something Monsanto is definetly NOT.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This just reminded me of a spooky site about milk I found a while ago. NOTMILK

I think it's worth checking out.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I personally don't like milk. I'm mildly to aggressively lactose intolerant depending on some factors, but I've recently found myself being a milk purchaser since the 1st birthday of my son. Since before he was born, I told my wife that if she insists on him drinking cow's milk after his birthday, I was going to buy organic, no hormone milk. She agreed and I'm very happy for that fact.

For those that are interested, here is a scoresheet for organic milk based on a number of factors including the business practices of the producing dairies and whatnot.

cornucopia.org...

I still think milk sucks.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
We are brought up to eat our fellow beings and their products
We are taught this is perfectly normal by our elder and betters
However I have not drunk milk for 30 years or eaten any dairy products nor any animal products.
Why? Because though it may be the normal thing to do it is not natural and causes untold harm to the body.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Monsanto is truely an evil company. They're the ones that brought you such wonderful things as DDT and Agent Orange. They actually help develope the first atomic bomb (see Wikipedia). Now they have infected 90% of the U.S. Soy crop with their genetically mutated seed. They've done the same to the corn crop and now their eyeing the wheat as well. They have attacked organic farmers after their crop was pollenated by Monsanto GMO crops from a nearby field. So the Organic farmer looses his hard earned organic status because pollen from nearby Monsanto GMO garbage crop cross pollenated his field and Monsanto sues the organic farmer for copyright infringement. They want to control the food supply. Imagine feeding your family with crops that someone created in a laboratory? And they saturate the plants with Monsanto's Roundup insectacide while they grow...feed that chemical saturated crap to your family? No thank you, not me! Raise your own food or know where and how it was raised and or eat organic.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A lot of people hate what Monsanto does. I almost lost hope in the whole system because of them.

It's so refreshing to see a powerful corporation like this get slapped down by some people with some good common sense. I'm just worried that over time, Monsanto and other corporations, will have infiltrated our government so deeply that we won't be able to root them out.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
On a laterally related topic:

Did you know that humans have no need for dairy once we have finished breast-feeding.

Its better for us to get our calcium, vitamin K etc from green-vegetables and our protein from lean meats.

Why We Don't Need Dairy Nutritionally

But out of all the milks (excluding human), Goats Milk is best for us.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

I'm pretty sure I read similar stuff at notmilk.com

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Reason #372 why we should get ALL our food from sources we know and trust.

NOT the grocery store.

Also, raw, unpasteurized dairy is worlds apart from the crap in a jug at the supermart.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yes, raw, unhomogenized dairy is a completely different dairy and milk than what is sold in the supermarkets, to include "organic" milk.

We get ours from a place up the way that sells it for $4/ gallon, and it is organic too.

Costs no more than "milk" at the grocery store.

The government is against raw milk. Here in PA they have raided many farms over the issue of raw milk, even though we are a state that allows sales with a permit.

One example:

Feds raid Amish dairy and threaten action over raw milk sales

www.naturalnews.com...

So the FBI has nothing better to do than raid farms over Milk??
Monsanto's reach is that large.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Yeah, to get raw and unpasturised Goats milk here in Australia, you get around it by buying it as a "cosmetic" product.

Totally bogus ey.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth

So the FBI has nothing better to do than raid farms over Milk??
Monsanto's reach is that large.

Now, i'm not defending the FDA (as i said above, i regularly source my raw milk from a local farmer), but there ARE laws on the books the are required to uphold. Blaming monsanto might be a stretch on that one.

new topics

top topics

join