It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melting Pot Rock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Scriptural Influences in Rock?

this one I had posted on another thread a few days ago is not only direct about it's scriptural influence but also very matrixy-ish to me personally so I'll start with it

Released, March 19, 1971.

lyrics-
Oh, he picks up Gideon's Bible
Open at page one
I thank God, he stole the handle

Then Jerubbaal (that is, Gideon)...The LORD said to Gideon, "With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you...they shouted, The sword of the LORD, and of Gideon.- Judges7

GRB 080319B was a remarkable gamma-ray burst (GRB) detected by the Swift satellite at 06:12 UTC on March 19, 2008. The burst set a new record for the farthest object that could be seen with the naked eye"most intrinsically bright object ever observed by humans in the universe"

edit on 17-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Yet Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses, dared not bring against him a reviling accusation, but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”-Jude1.9

The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life.
-John6.63

Released September 26, 1983

termed somewhere as "the man who saved the world"-Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov (Russian) (born c. 1939) is a retired lieutenant colonel of the Soviet Air Defence Forces who deviated from standard Soviet protocol by correctly identifying a missile attack warning as a false alarm on September 26, 1983. This decision may have prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its Western allies. Investigation of the satellite warning system later confirmed that the system had malfunctioned.

In the beginning
Good always overpowered the evils
Of all man's sins...

that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their sins to them.-2Corinthians5.19

For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead. Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.-Romans7.7

What, then, was the purpose of the law? It was added because of transgressions until the Seed to whom the promise referred had come. The law was put into effect through angels by a mediator.-Galatins3.19

But in time
The nations grew weak

“ How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer,[literally Morning Star-footnote NKJ] son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!-Isaiah14.12

You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.-Galatians5.4

Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not! For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.-Galatians3.21

Because of that experience, we have even greater confidence in the message proclaimed by the prophets. You must pay close attention to what they wrote, for their words are like a lamp shining in a dark place—until the Day dawns, and Christ the Morning Star shines in your hearts.-2Peter1.19

So come now, children of the beast
Be strong

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.-Matthew12.40

For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, of him the Son of Man will be ashamed when He comes in His own glory, and in His Father’s, and of the holy angels.-Luke9.26

For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.-1Corinthians7.14

edit on 18-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

By 'Gideon's Bible', the singer means one of the Bibles that are left in hotel rooms all over the world by an evangelical organization called Gideon International.

The 'handle' that was stolen refers to the 'dead man's handle', a safety lever that train drivers have to keep pressed down all the time. If the driver lets go the handle, the train stops.

Whatever you're trying to say in your post, it has nothing to do with the Jethro Tull song Locomotive Breath. Wh don't you listen to the lyrics and work out what the song is about? It isn't that hard--it's just comparing some guy's out-of-control life with a train running out of control.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

LOL yes I am very aware of the intended meanings, the winner, loser, train and handle, what and who Gideons are, even that you can't be a member of the clergy to be a part and about the color codes of the covers and no they did say opens a Gideons bible that actually does mean something and so does thank God-it is scriptural biblical influence just like the intention of this thread says
edit on 18-10-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Rock 'n' roll cabbalism, eh? Well, you won't be the first to take your low-rider down that dead end.

Ian Anderson, who wrote those lyrics, isn't at all religious. He's the man who once said, 'If Jesus saves, he'd better save himself.' You can read more about his view on religion here.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to post by Rustami

Rock 'n' roll cabbalism, eh? Well, you won't be the first to take your low-rider down that dead end.

Ian Anderson, who wrote those lyrics, isn't at all religious. He's the man who once said, 'If Jesus saves, he'd better save himself.' You can read more about his view on religion here.

well thats interesting

He saved others; Himself He cannot save. If He is the King of Israel, let Him now come down from the cross, and we will believe Him.-Matthew27.42

I have no idea about every ones professions nor motivations other then the obvious which is basically their talent and what they do for talent fruits-which is why I said Rock songs/music instead of musicians (cause that's what I dominately listen to and having family in the record business even met a few) there are many that mention nothing at all directly but overall song may have a message or bring to mind certain scriptures or stories, some in plain sight some more in depth good and bad

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
There is a river whose streams shall make glad the city of God,
The holy place of the tabernacle of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
God shall help her, just at the break of dawn.
The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved;
He uttered His voice, the earth melted.-Psalm46

Like a desert flower

Until the spirit be poured upon us from on high, and the wilderness be a fruitful field-Isaiah31

In the morning rain

And he shall be like the light of the morning when the sun rises,
A morning without clouds,
Like the tender grass springing out of the earth,
By clear shining after rain.’-2Samuel23

She`s well aware of every promise made

The yes to all of God's promises is in Christ-2Corinthinas1

She`s a child of light in a world of pain

For you are all children of the light and of the day; we don’t belong to darkness and night.-1Thessalonians5

Oh let her be free, Holy Zion

the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all.-Galatians4

And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those who exercise authority over them are called ‘benefactors.’ But not so among you-Luke22

Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, Which cannot be moved, but abides forever.-Psalm125

Give us eyes to see

Your eyes shall see, And you shall say, ‘ The LORD is magnified beyond the border of Israel.’-Malachi1.5

Something to rely on

Kings shall be your foster fathers,
And their queens your nursing mothers;
They shall bow down to you with their faces to the earth,
And lick up the dust of your feet.
Then you will know that I am the LORD,
For they shall not be ashamed who wait for Me.-Isaiah49

Your brethren who hated you,
Who cast you out for My name’s sake, said,
‘ Let the LORD be glorified,
That we may see your joy.’
But they shall be ashamed.-Isaiah-66

God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name-Philippians2

far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.-Ephesians1

edit on 8-11-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The voice of the Lord strikes with bolts of lightning.-Psalm29

He loads the clouds with moisture,and they flash with his lightning.-Job37

For as the lightning that flashes out of one part under heaven shines to the other part under heaven, so also the Son of Man will be in His day.-Luke17

“I saw Satan fall from heaven like lightning!-Luke10

lyrics-Oh please God help me
they're trying to take it all away
I don't want to die

Now the Egyptians are men, and not God;
And their horses are flesh, and not spirit.
When the LORD stretches out His hand,
Both he who helps will fall,
And he who is helped will fall down-Isaiah31

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.’-Isaiah41

The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed,
A refuge in times of trouble.
And those who know Your name will put their trust in You;
For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You.-Psalm9

For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.-John3

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.-John10

For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.-Romans5

Now there was also a dispute among them, as to which of them should be considered the greatest. And He said to them, “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them, and those who exercise authority over them are called ‘benefactors.’ But not so among you-Luke22

For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience?-1Corinthians10

For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.-Galatians5

"We are allowed to do all things," but not all things are good for us to do. "We are allowed to do all things," but not all things help others grow stronger. Do not look out only for yourselves. Look out for the good of others also.-1Corinthians10

Then you recently turned and did what was right in My sight—every man proclaiming liberty to his neighbor; and you made a covenant before Me in the house which is called by My name. Then you turned around and profaned My name, and every one of you brought back his male and female slaves, whom you had set at liberty, at their pleasure, and brought them back into subjection, to be your male and female slaves.’
“Therefore thus says the LORD: ‘You have not obeyed Me in proclaiming liberty, every one to his brother and every one to his neighbor.-Jeremiah34

So the words of the Lord to them will be,
"A command here, a command there.
A rule here, a rule there.
A little lesson here, a little lesson there.-Isaiah28

Who say, ‘Keep to yourself, Do not come near me, For I am holier than you!’ These are smoke in My nostrils, A fire that burns all the day.-Isaiah65

For if there had been a law given which could have given life, truly righteousness would have been by the law.-Galatians3

And so it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being.” The last Adam became a life-giving spirit-1Corinthians15

But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter. And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”-Acts15

For My yoke is easy and My burden is light-Matthew11

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh-2Corinthians12

a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world—how he can please his wife— and his interests are divided. An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord’s affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world—how she can please her husband.-1Corinthians7

but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock-Matthew7.24

Not one of these shall fail; Not one shall lack her mate.-Isaiah34

While you were watching, a rock was cut out, but not by human hands. It struck the statue on its feet of iron and clay and smashed them. Then the iron, the clay, the bronze, the silver and the gold were all broken to pieces and became like chaff on a threshing floor in the summer. The wind swept them away without leaving a trace. But the rock that struck the statue became a huge mountain and filled the whole earth.-Daniel2.34

The women represent two covenants.-Galatians4
edit on 17-11-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

top topics

join