It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK's Busiest Oil Refinery Blockaded for Five Hours (ATS Citizen Journalist Reports)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
imagine if those 500 train fares were spent on food for the homeless?
enough said!

If we don't stop our oil addiction and contributions to global warming, we'll face millions more homeless/hungry.

NUFF SAID!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirClem

Originally posted by boondock-saint
WOW
absolute genius
S&F

that's all I got to say about that
~Forrest Gump~

"genius"? right. .....There is no climate-gate here.... just move on....

"Climate-gate" was a disinfo sham. All the supposedly "damning" quotes of scientists were horribly cherry-picked, taken out of context, exaggerated, and misinterpreted. In the end, the CRU scientists were completely exonerated of ANY wrongdoing, let alone manipulation/deletion of data. Ahh... but the propaganda has already been spread, and climate-gate is a mountain in the minds of easily-duped conspiracy theorists when it should be an understandable molehill.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Umm No - nuclear reactors use heavy water (duterium) to cool down the process and keep the reaction from going critical. Once the duterium becomes contaminated it needs to be diposed of (dumped somewhere). So it's not as clean as they would have us believe.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It's very easy to be angry when mummy and daddy line your pockets and paid for your wasted university education, meanwhile in the real world, nobody heard about this, and when I was there yesterday morning, nobody had any difficulty getting their petrol at the BP near me. What a bunch of pathetic, arrogant little middle class tossers.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHierarchy

you do realise the planet has been known to cool and warm of its own accored and this whole glabal warming thing hast made some people mega rich! i agree we need alternatives i just dont think this protest made one bit of differance thats all..

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jerryk42

yep and we tend to dump that with those poor folks we already raped of resources. along with the rest of are rubbish!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Those bamboo poles looked a little dangerous to stand on. Lucky their binding rope didn't pop, ouch! A minor inconvenience this caused for an important message: It's Oil Over.

I like that the British protested BP themselves. Good on them. As for the Americans.....

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
My hats off to them!
Even though there was oil based products possibly being used, it doesn't take away from the fact that these people had the guts to do this. Yes, the people in this world need to change their habits with the products they use, but I think I that it's awesome that these protesters do use oil based products against the oil companies themselves.
I look at this as inspiration for myself and hopefully others who care about what's going on with the world.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

you do realise the planet has been known to cool and warm of its own accored and this whole glabal warming thing hast made some people mega rich! i agree we need alternatives i just dont think this protest made one bit of differance thats all..

Scientists aren't saying that the planet doesn't warm/cool naturally. What they're saying is that the very RAPID recent increase in global temps over the past century is due to the INCREDIBLE increase in CO2 emissions over the same time-period. CO2 is a greenhouse gas and has a FORCING effect on global temps, it is one of the central factors to maintaining Earth's temperature insulation aside from the sun. There is also NO evidence that the sun is behind this. Solar irradiance and sunspots have DECREASED over the past few decades while temps have increased to RECORD levels. Essentially, 99.9% of the science points to human inducing of the vast majority of current global warming. It's demonstrable and obvious to the many members of the scientific community. The global warming "skeptics" have all proven to be liars, paid off by industry, and/or have NO expertise in the fields of climatology or atmospheric physics.

There also WAS a rigorous scientific debate during the middle of the 20th century over the existence of anthropogenic global warming, but by the 70's it became very alarmingly obvious and unarguable to scientists. The fossil fuel industry has a HUGE stake in the global warming crisis we face, and as they've committed terrible things before, they do the same now by spreading propaganda/disinformation around so that they can continue business as usual for as long as possible before we give them the boot and switch to renewables and/or reduce consumption altogether.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

well each to there own mate but im not buying it.. however i do think its partally the reason 1 in 3 people get cancer but as for climate the records dont go back far at all. and most of these scientests lack credibility in my eyes. but thats just me and my opinion. i respect yours an by all means will listen to what you have to say, but i'll end as i started etch to there own!
edit on 18-10-2010 by danielhanson420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoHierarchy

WOW
absolute genius
S&F

~Forrest Gump~

"Climate-gate" was a disinfo sham. All the supposedly "damning" quotes of scientists were horribly cherry-picked, taken out of context, exaggerated, and misinterpreted. In the end, the CRU scientists were completely exonerated of ANY wrongdoing, let alone manipulation/deletion of data. Ahh... but the propaganda has already been spread, and climate-gate is a mountain in the minds of easily-duped conspiracy theorists when it should be an understandable molehill.

Have you checked out 'TRACER7's post about the newest confession by another climate scientist? I'm new to this but here's the link www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

You could always walk your ass to the market... or, god forbid, MAKE YOUR OWN BREAD!

And you could do with a dollop of reality.

I'm sure that if your circumstances were different you'd be singing a different tune.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

well each to there own mate but im not buying it.. however i do think its partally the reason 1 in 3 people get cancer but as for climate the records dont go back far at all. and most of these scientests lack credibility in my eyes. but thats just me and my opinion. i respect yours an by all means will listen to what you have to say, but i'll end as i started etch to there own!
edit on 18-10-2010 by danielhanson420 because: (no reason given)

Well... we can say to each their own woman, to each their own beer, to each their own religion even (I'm Agnostic, btw
), but we cannot say to each his own facts. The facts are the facts and climate science actually has brought an immense number of facts to the table. Of course, in science, there is NEVER an irrefutable truth or proof. Of course there are VIRTUALLY or thus-far irrefutable facts/proofs, but science is ALWAYS looking for the most complete picture. However, that doesn't preclude us from MASSIVE successes with the science we do know. We wouldn't have been able to send a man to the moon or split the atom successfully without seriously hard science.

The problem with the global warming debate is that the mountain of GOOD science has been muddied by a landslide of bad science/disinformation purposely spread to foster doubt about global warming. Of course the bad science wouldn't have worked on people unless it was coupled with a conspiracy theory bent that plays to peoples', normally healthy, mistrust of TPTB. However, the reality is that TPTB are the industries and think-tanks that have spread false global warming denial and have taken a total sh*te on the hard work/research of serious scientists who actually care about the world.

The climate record actually goes back hundreds of thousands, even tens of millions of years. Of course, the further back we go, the more difficult it gets to paint a perfect picture, however there is very real/useful data to be gleaned from it.

www.grist.org...

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

WOW
absolute genius
S&F

~Forrest Gump~

Have you checked out 'TRACER7's post about the newest confession by another climate scientist? I'm new to this but here's the link www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes I heard about that guy... and really he has no merit or expertise in Climatology or Atmospheric Physics. I'm sure as more facts/background comes out, it'll show that he's somehow linked to industry and/or think-tanks.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Star

You could always walk your ass to the market... or, god forbid, MAKE YOUR OWN BREAD!

And you could do with a dollop of reality.

I'm sure that if your circumstances were different you'd be singing a different tune.

Yeah well somethin tells me YOUR circumstances ARE different than starving on the side of the road because some protesters blockaded an oil refinery. So let's not blow smoke up each others' a**es.

And to be honest... I already plan on becoming as self-sufficient as possible, making my own food and the like, and if I were in serious poverty, that'd be a BETTER option than buying more expensive (and crappy tasting) pre-packaged Wonder bread.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We have technology that allows cars, trucks, etc.. to run off Hydro... We have cars, trucks, etc that can run off cooking oil.

Global Warming is a scam...

A top Scientist just quit the the Global Warming team due to the propaganda perpetrated towards the *People* for the up and coming Billions few will make concerning their lies.

There's some major reasons I don't agree with this protest...however 1 of the reasons has nothing to do with Fossil Fuels and Global Warming.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
This is to all the R-tards whom say that these "spoiled brats" went there using petroleum products are a bunch of hypocrites.

Well no doubt you goofs, it's called a monopoly for a reason. Jesus thats the whole point about this. Get away from oil. These multinational corporations would have it the other way. Use their oil for everything till the last drop is sucked up. The only reason the alternatives are coming out is because they are trickle feeding it out to us. They milked us dry until we got wise and now they will try to monopolize the alternative sector guaranteed.

If only Tesla's dreams fully came true. The world governments need to legislate alternatives, like Germany and thier solar panels. But who finances the politicians? Hmm the same sick s hits that are sending our potential down the #terrrr. What a waste of human potential all these years on oil.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BluntMetal
You know, it's great to see our education system working oh-so efficiently and put to good use. If you can't gather, I'm being sarcastic.

But my sentiments exactly Ferris.Bueller.II. The protest achieved nothing but to let a few students make some pretty banners and chant some benign and empty slogans. Yet people are treating this like an ultimate form of valiancy, when in reality it's nothing but a gross act of self-indulgence on the students part.

Tell me, how did these protesters travel to this event? That's right, by train. A form of transport that heavily relies on fossil fuels. And what about all them placards, the face paint and the clothes they donned? Again, all by products of oil. I can agree with the gesture, but really, hypocrisy and empty gestures aren't something that impress me.

If I had my way, I would have driven a tanker straight through the crowd of infantile students. Lets see how "valiant" they are for their cause when they've got a 20 ton speeding lump of metal careering towards them. Talk about sorting the men from the boys.

Well look at yourself. How do you travel to work every day? Car, Plane, Public transport??? What do you wear everday??? You certainly don't walk around the house naqued.

They travelled on a train. Better to travel by train than 1,000 cars don't you think?

Get of your high horse, and actually start to support the fact that something good has happened.

And stop being such a hypocrite.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join