It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America and it's citizen's throughout the world safer thanks to......

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
the "War on Terrorism"..?

I do not want a full blown debate, just a Yes or No would suffice, followed by a brief reason.

You don't have to read the whole thread to answer,
the question will remain the same.

I was going to post this question as a reply to a thread, but wanted to broaden the response.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Safer?, no. Living in Canada makes me feel safe enough as it is. As for you Americans, I really don't know how much danger you were really in, seeing how you were mislead into going to war.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yes, we are safer. If we wern't fighting them over there, they would be putting forth all effort on getting over here. Because we are hunting them instead of waiting for them to attack, they have more immediate concerns, like survival.

As for Canada, I'm glad you feel safe, since your safety rides on the back of the US. The least you guys could do is tighen your own borders up. Do we have to do everything? It's your continent and economy too, eh?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Nope.

But like a member stated above, living in Canada makes fell a hell of a lot safer. I think the bush doctrine has created more terrorists than destroyed any. I can see my children fighting this pathetic oil driven war.

Deep

PS. Finally a thread where I can post my opinion without the likes of seeferoff destroying it ! lol

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Ambient Sound, I don't want to make this an Anti-American thread, stick to the question, Yes or No, Reason...No more.

Thanks for your input.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Koka]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Nope. Don't feel safer. Feel more paranoid, but not safer.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I don't feel that we are more or less safe than before. Whether we are in war or not there would still be terrorist acts as there was before the war.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My answer would definately be NO

If anything the whole war on terror has made american citizens targets of opportunity for any terrorist, irregardless of location. I would definately be hesistant to travel abroad under the american flag, as it seems it would be an attractant for those who would wish me harm.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I would definately be hesistant to travel abroad under the american flag, as it seems it would be an attractant for those who would wish me harm.

Particularly given the recent beheadings. Hate to say it, but I believe the terrorists are achieving their objectives more and more as this war continues. Instilling fear.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Funny thing is the war on terror seems to be unsettling even more of the middle east, governments over there are now actually supporting more militants than before. Plus America has singled itself out, and countries that were true threats to us are building up their forces and support.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Nope. But I have to say... it was the American GOVERNMENT that put us into that war (with the help of Congress)... not your everyday average work-a-day American. Nobody asked 'us' about nuttin'!

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Safer since the war on terrorism? At home in the US, yes they have stopped several terrorist coming into the US - whether or not they would have stopped them anyhow that's up for debate. The airlines are safer because they've changed some policies on how to deal with threats and americans are less likely to look the other way now that they know being passive might lead to their death. Safer abroad I'd have to say safer in some places, but less safe in others. Most of the unsafe places have always been unsafe for us though even before the war on terrorism. Bottom line - nothing much has changed except more light has been shed on the subject by the media and we have less freedom then we had before.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by outsider]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Safer? Hell no...

Every time i see that Bush f*ck on the tv i near # myself, everything he touches turns to shi*.

Hopefully he'll do some serious damage next time he falls off his bike or chokes on a biscuit or whatever the hell he does while hes supposed to be running a country.

The thing that gets me most is that cos i dont live in the states i dont get to vote the bastard out, even though he has a very real effect on europeans too.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Safer.

I was on a military base for the first two post 9/11 years and the ramped up small scale security on the installation showed me that the government was serious with protecting targets.

Even living in the Chicagoland area I feel safe, because of the increased vigilence and attention to detail.

However our thoughts on safety prove little until the next terror attack or failure of one.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I think Americans are not safer as a result of the War on Terrorism. How many more beheadings will it take to convince you?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
i don't feel safer. afghanistan made me feel a little safer. iraq has increased the number of people who hate americans, not reduced them, despite our "best efforts". my two cents.

-koji K.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Beheadings are an indication of the the US or the world not being safe? Huh? Foreign nation's and as with past and current US policy's for civilain's overseas has always been one of "be careful", etc. This has been occuring long before this so-called declared War on Terror-ism.

The current beheadings are having their said effect, and your response is exactly what the terrorist/militants that are doing such deeds want you to say.......

The terrorists/militants are making supreme use of propaganda news outlets and the internet. The effect: heightened thoughts of terrorism, of not being safe, bringing death to your dinner table, right to your finger tips via the computer screen and the internet, and so forth. The terrorists move and attack for political gain and effect, and as can be seen by some of the comments in this thread, their desired effect is successful........

seekerof

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
So, is that a Yes or a No Seekerof..?

I know it's hard not to debate the matter.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Definition
Terrorist: a person who attempts to make people do things through fear and intimidation.
Police State: a nationstate that uses fear, intimidation, and disreguard for citizen civil rights to forcibly rule people.

The difference is the first is out of power and the second is in power.

The 'Patriot Act' was the terrorists beginning to win the war here in the US. It allows the drift of this nation into a police state where your citizenship can be stripped from you and be locked away w/o telling anyone based on the whims of an Imperial presidential decision.

After invading Afghanistan, I believe we in the US were safer, after the invasion of Iraq with the mishandling of it especially after Abu Grabe, we are worse off. An intelligence officer in the 9-11 hearings reported that Al-Qaeda recruitment numbers are rising. Im not wise enough to know the long term consequences of Iraq, but at this point they don't look good at all.

Bush thinks God chose him to be president, goodness knows the majority of Americans chose Al Gore and not him. This is probably why he has a total disregard for Iraqis, Afghanistanis, Americans and people generally. I find his blind, mindless, arrogant actions disturbing.

I am far more worried about this nation becoming more of a police state with the goverment invading people's private lives and telling them what they can and cannot do. That would include being able to review library records, tap phone calls, track you on the internet. Without informing you and NOT for terrorist activities only, they are using it for whatever they choose. If you are terrified by terrorists, the terrorists have won. Liberty is a delicate thing and is much more easily lost than recovered. One can only hope that perceptive intelligence, reason, and some uncommon sense will preserve our civil rights.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Slightly safer at home in the US. Much less safe in other foreign countries.
joey

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join