It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

important please help. Someones safety may be at stake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Out of the message boards I frequent, I definately feel that I will get the right answer here.

Just watching Holland in the middle of beating sweden at penalties, I noticed a flare floating slowly down.

I have never ever seen a flare before, defo never one out of the blue in such a way.

Now, I am worried about why this flare had been shot. Could someone possibly be in trouble?

The flare was a very bright pink colour, with possible purple.

I live nowhere near a coast, nowhere near mountains but there is a small moorland area round teh back of me, where this flare seemed to come from.

I will give a link to a local map, pinpointing the area it seemed to come from.

Would this flare have been shot as an SOS? What should I do? Do I phone the police?

Please check this map, to see the immediate area, so you can see if there is anywhere which looks like it could be a danger spot.

#.. sorry, I cant find a map of any use, they are just street maps, as it is a suburban area.

ANyway, if you know of a decent link to get a map of the UK, east manchester, please add me the link.

Please reply as fast as you can, if someone is in danger i would like to make sure i can do all i can as soon as i can.

ps Looking up to where the flare was now, there appears to be the smokey echoe of a second (or possibly more)

thankyou

[edit on 26-6-2004 by triplesod]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Call the police -

I don't think it would be wise to rush over there not having any idea of who it is or what they want. Be safe, call the police - let them check it out. If there is a serious problem they will most likely be of more use anyway as they have the training and resources to help.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
13 views and no-one has replied.

If you believe (through real knowledge) that this could be something and nothing and is most probably nothing then please tell me, as I am quite concerned with this.

Do not just read my post and think "ahhh look at this nob! going on about a poxy flare", mighnt be a giggle to you but i know nowt about these things and I have never seen a flare before and am unsure of there need, so please set my mind at rest.

I am not just posting for the sake of it or attention seeking, obviously it is the flare thrower who seeks attention but do I give them 100% of mine?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
What more could be said? Badkitty just gave you the best advice anyone could possibly give you. Call the Police, don�t sit back and wait for replies, Call the Police.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Triple, I didn't reply as I thought the topic was overblown.

So someone on a moorland needs help and they fire up a flare???
How real is that??

Are they standard survival items for people out walking?
As far as I know flares are only used at sea, not behind stadiums with 1000's of people in them

Doesn't it strike you as more obvious that it has something to do with cellebrating the soccer game, sure as heck does for me.

Rereading your post raises even more questions,

Did you see the match life or on TV, if live, how are you communicating with us?

If on TV is it in your city - Manchester - The match is in Algarve - portugal ...

If its in portugal, what is the connection between your small moorland and the match?.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Netchicken]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
link to map and aerial info off entire UK

Try this street map and aerial photos

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   
sorry, Badkitty replied while I was typing up my second post.

Thanks for that BK.

I actually decided to phone the dibble after i typed that last post but I am glad to have read your post as I was a bit concerned that I was phoning them without cause and wastinbg there time, so I was glad to read your post after I had spoken to them, I hope they didnt check my record after I gave my name or they mighnt just think I was #ing about with them, not that I have ever done that before.

They are going to send someone up to check it out.

Can people just bye flares at some Army and NAvy stores? Could it be kids #ing about?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
The soccer game was in Portugal (on the telly). They guy's talking about the moors out to the east of Manchester.

triple, of you're concerned, just call the police as the others have said and report it. they won't come round or anything! (they've got better things to be doing on a saturday night... especially round your way. Ashton can be a bit larey , so I hear!..
)

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplesod
Can people just bye flares at some Army and NAvy stores? Could it be kids f****g about?

Oh yes.. any decent camping or boating shop would have them, so you're right.. it could well be kids. Any more gone off? (btw I don't think they'd check your record for anything like this!)

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Triple, I didn't reply as I thought the topic was overblown.

So someone on a moorland needs help and they fire up a flare???
How real is that??

Are they standard survival items for people out walking?
As far as I know flares are only used at sea, not behind stadiums with 1000's of people in them

Doesn't it strike you as more obvious that it has something to do with cellebrating the soccer game, sure as heck does for me.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by Netchicken]

Thanks NC.

This is mostly what I was thinking but having never seen a flare been shot before and not really knwonig what they are about, I was worried, which I think is a good response.

I think you are getting confused a little though, I was talking about a FOOTBALL match on TV, Holland V Sweden at the European Cup, not a local game. This is in POrtugal, so I am unsure what you mean about the stadium, maybe crossed wires.

Yeah, people shoot off loads of fireworks after good FOOTBALL results but I have NEVER, EVER seen a flare. Plus, the match wasnt finished, I doubt there are many Swedish opf Dutch nationalks round here, the odd family maybe and if they wanted to do such a thing, then surely it woudl be easier with fireworks.

BUt I am content with your reply, I think it is what I was hopeing to hear, I am pleased with your calm response, I think I was getting a wee bit paranoid here.

Oh well, the police are involved now as that naughty kitty advised and I can relax a little without any urges to jump on my moterbike and go zooming over the moors (take me to the moors, dig a shallow grave and i'll lay me down)

will let you all know if anything comes from this.

IN the meentime, thanks very much for your help.

ps funny thing was, the reason I saw it was because I sat up at the foot of the bed, getting excited at the penalties. My immediate reaction was "# me!!! UFO!!!!! they have finally shown themselves to me!!!!!!!" hehe, oh well, was not to be.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
OK I see the connection now, sorry, he looked out his window....

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply (ya muppet!)

Ashton is where I live.. well, Hyde which I think you will know, as you seem to know teh area well, are you in the NW or have you studied in Manc or something?

I dont think anymore have gone off. I just thought, if they were easy to buy, if kids could easily get hold of them they would be going off all the time, I know I would have been at it when i was a little scally-wag.

I am not talking about Saddleworth moors by the way, The site of the MOors MUrders, I really mean just a stretch of fields just outside Hyde.

Anyway, thanks again...

By the way, whenever the muppets used to come on TV when I was a kid, I used to stand up and yell that my two grandads were on TV... I was sure that those two ald guys in your avator were my grandparents! They are the spitting image! Another time, when I was about 5 or so and I was watching TV with my old man, he flicked over (got up and turned teh dial over) to the debate going on at the house of commens, I stood up really excited shouting "yayyyyy The muppets is on!!!!" hahah, seems very apt now.

i'm very hyper tonight

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

OK I see the connection now, sorry, he looked out his window....

Netchicken.... did you think I was getting so worried about a flare I saw at a football game on TV??....

awww.. Netchicken, you changed your post now you realised. You shoudl have left it like that, classic case of Ascii mistakes.. It was really funny, in a kind of sweet way, not in a nasty "ahh look at that cock!" type way..

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:28 PM
link   
whoops.. meant to say it is a suburban area, not rural...

Thanks for the link, Weirdo!

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Yeah

I thought that you either saw it on TV or were in the staduim yourself. Thats why I though it was a strange post
Ahem, just ignore me from now on until I grow some more neurons....

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Yeah

I thought that you either saw it on TV or were in the staduim yourself. Thats why I though it was a strange post
Ahem, just ignore me from now on until I grow some more neurons....

heheh... no, I really like that mistake.. Kind of thing I really wish I could know what was going through your mind when you first read my post...

hehehehe

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Anyway, I'll wrap this thread up now.

Thanks for everyone who took the time to reply!

Thanks to netchick for hiswonderful faux pas that will no doubt keep me giggling for days

and thanks for whoever shot that damn flare for allowing me to see my first flare and make my mind up once and for-all about the Phoenix Lights case (they werent feckin' flares!)

goodnight

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Glad you called the police -- if it is nothing it's not a problem but if you hadn't called and later learned someone was in trouble you would have felt bad that you didn't call. We carry flares on the boat but I am sure that there are people who hike in areas where they might not be heard if there was a problem would carry a flare or two also.

If you hear anything let us know.

top topics

join