It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apes Get Revenge on Humans at Zoo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Having to look at the humans on the other side of the glass for years pounding on the glass, taunting these captive animals, The Apes at one Lincoln Park Zoo now have the ability through technology and some pressurized air to get a little revenge...

Guardian

The apes at Lincoln Park Zoo are finally getting a chance to take their revenge on people who for years have been pounding their palms against the glass walls of the primates' old home.

At the zoo's new Regenstein Center for African Apes, chimpanzees can touch a panel hidden from public view that will shoot harmless bursts of air at unsuspecting visitors.

``You often hear about chimps spitting or throwing,�� said Steve Ross, a behaviorist at the zoo. ``They do that to get a rise out of the public. This gives them that opportunity but in a safe way.��

The feature is one of many in the 55,000-square-foot habitat meant to help people connect with their primate cousins.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yes even in a human world now Apes too can find a way to Deny Ignorance.

Gazz

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
That is slightly more sophisticated than the revenge strategy taken by the chimps at our zoo. They just wait for a crowd to form at the viewing window and hurl a nice big blob of feces at the glass. Both sound ultimately rewarding.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
If given a choice between pressurized air and feces, I would choose the air.

No, wait...

Yes...Yes... the air.

After being urinated on by a lion when I was a child, I can honestly say, with my hand over my heart, I would have preferred pressurized air.
I have dodged so much flung monkey feces I could audition for the Dodgeball sequel.

DODGEBALL 2: ATTACK OF THE CHIMPS WITH IRRITATED BOWELS

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Given the bad behavior of some of the visitors to the zoo, I think it's an admirable idea!

And think about it from a sentient's viewpoint: you probably wouldn't want to be stared at 24/7, yelled at, and teased to see how you react... no chance to get away, being put on display all day.

I like the idea that they will have a chance to make their opinions felt about human behavior.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I remember seeing, as a child, gorillas behind bars in an exibit. It was horrible. The people were jeering at them, and they were spitting at humans from behind the bars. I really felt sorry for them- the gorillas, that is...
However, the ideal situation is at the zoo in Singapore. So educational, unusual, and delightful it is when you can either have breakfast or afternoon tea with an orangutan. If only this approach was taken in all zoos- it was an unique experience. Their zoo is fenceless, also. They built it with a train that cruises throgh natural style habitat and terrain.
Sadly, the plight of the gorillas in the wild grows worse each day.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
think about it...why wouldnt they attack us humans? were the race that put them behind bars and fences and what not. were the race that ruined their perfect life. what do yall think life would be like without zoos?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
It is wrong to have any wild beasts in captivity, but this is a side of humans that will always be existent- as long as both man and beast live, anyhow.
Life would be much better, abductee93. Especially for the animals. But I also don't get how revenge using compressed air is a peaceful and ethical means of promoting interaction and education of both species- us and them. Totally wrong- imop.
The humans, and apes should be taught and encouraged using other means( I personally would vote to teach them handgun markmanship,lol) and the situation at the zoo in Sing was different in a great regard....to this effect.

new topics

top topics

join