It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea: Somali pirates hijack fishing boat with 43 sailors off Kenya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

South Korea: Somali pirates hijack fishing boat with 43 sailors off Kenya

www.duluthnewstribune.com

Somali pirates have hijacked a South Korean-operated fishing boat with 43 sailors, Seoul's Foreign Ministry said Sunday.

Two South Korean, two Chinese and 39 Kenyans were aboard the 241-ton Kenya-registered trawler when it was attacked Oct. 9 in the waters off Kenya's Lamu Island, South Korea's Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

It wasn't immediately known if negotiations with the pirates had begun or if they were demanding a ransom.

South Korean officials declined to provide details aboute
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
articles.lancasteronline.com
www.kgan.com

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
just ran into this article. its seems to happened the 9th.
I hope that the hostages are safe and return back to their families. this type of things is happening more and more. Im interested to see if this is in the news or gets any attention, my guess is no...

These are all the comments and observations i have.

www.duluthnewstribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
In my opinion Somalia is about as close as we have currently to an Anarchist state. I know there are international anti-piracy forces in the area but their hands are tied as far as taking them on. Two things need to happen to stop this; a strong Somali government and military. Secondly, the forces in the area combating these pirates need to be able to engage them with a lot less restraint then they have now.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
it would be nice if the news covered why they turned to piracy. Without a government to protect their waters their livelihood has been destroyed by illegal fishing and dumping of toxic waste. I'm not saying they are in the right, but as long as the international community ignores the cause it won't go away.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by fallinstar

everytime i read the word pirates...i have to wonder, what really is going on? seems like a new propaganda issue to use on all, love from tptb?? do ya think??

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by righteyered

Well said.

It is sad that people have been dumbed down so much. It is sad hypocrites get most airplay, it is sad people that posted above me pray for the hostages(political correctness will never get you anywhere) yet never pray for the victims, because according to the media they are pirates and terrorists. While at the same time the residential countries of said media support and fund puppet governments and extreme Islamic regimes. These countries cause suffering in many places around the world.

Patience.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

illegal fishing and dumping of toxic waste

really ?

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Wouldn't it be nice if people started taking personal responsibility for their actions instead of blaming the rest of the world.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching411

Wouldn't it be nice if people started taking personal responsibility for their actions instead of blaming the rest of the world.

They are taking personal responsibility, they're finding a way to make a living. Again, I didn't say they were in the right. But if you want the problem solved then you have to look at what is causing the problem and not just the symptoms.

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

There is never any excuse for stealing, killing (unless it is self defense, etc.). We have gotten so lax in our moral fiber that we make excuses for people who do wrong. I think it is time that we stop making excuses and make people accountable. There are other ways for the people of Somalia to support themselves. We have soooooo many charitable organizations who are more than willing to spend our money to help. There is always a need for agriculture/technology/labor. It is so easy to make excuses for failure instead of being moral. We have got to change our views and our tolerance for what is wrong. Society has got to put a stop to what is not acceptable. One way is to stop/stop/stop giving people excuses.

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by searching411

I agree with you, but you can't be selective in who needs to be held accountable for their actions. The people who destroyed these peoples means to make a living need to be called out as well. The fact that only the pirates get called out on this issue is my problem with it.

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   

This is a personal decision made by these individuals to become pirates. Everyone has horrible things that happen in their lives and they are responsible for how they react. I am saying that the pirates choose to take that path in life. The people who make their lives better are people I like to associate with. Sympathy is wearing a bit thin and charity is getting a bit short. I think that making excuses for poor decisions in our lives is becoming tooooo common. We are suppose to rise above stealing and killing. By making excuses we are continuing to enable hoodlums to get away with criminal acts because we say "Oh poor babies". Enough!

new topics

top topics

join