It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking Elephant from South Korea

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I am amazed by the many videos...

We have a cat and our cat always calls my mother " Maow-ma " and replies to my meows when I try communicating with him for a sort of joke.

I actually tried for a joke to make him say my name, that is similar to Maow-ma word XD but he just uses a variant of that when he sees me.

He also learnt to jump to be able to open a door that is closed because he saw us.

When I'm going to sleep, he comes near me and touches my nose and face with his paw, and if I get my finger near him he tries to grab it with his claws to bring my finger to his mouth.
He gets nervous when, for example, I discuss angrily with my brother about something and we often stop the discussion because he might attack us...
He also gets nervous when I walk near him with bare feet.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It makes one noise that sounds like air being released. It's not even similar to talking. This is a non-story.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
It's a beginning. In the future from the things I have been shown in my experiences with other life forms amimals do/will speak.........and theymight jusst be smarter then us one day

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Interstingly there was a special on PBS just last night about elephants regarding the effect of the death of a matriarch on the rest of the "family". It was hosted by a woman scentist and cameraman that had been filming them for years.

The communication between the elephants and researcher, and amongst the elephants themselves was powerful and full of emotion. I was brought to tears a number of times.

All creatures are amazing, but there is just something extra there with elephants that is both compelling and awesome. There is no question that they are sentient beings deserving of respect and admiration.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MechanicalSunrise

It makes one noise that sounds like air being released. It's not even similar to talking. This is a non-story.

tough room...

Animal behaviour: Elephants are capable of vocal learning
There are a few mammalian species that can modify their vocalizations in response to auditory experience1 — for example, some marine mammals use vocal imitation for reproductive advertisement, as birds sometimes do. Here we describe two examples of vocal imitation by African savannah elephants, Loxodonta africana, a terrestrial mammal that lives in a complex fission–fusion society.
Nature: International weekly journal of science
www.nature.com...

Elephants Imitate Sounds As A Form Of Social Communication
ScienceDaily (June 1, 2005) — Elephants learn to imitate sounds that are not typical of their species, the first known example after humans of vocal learning in a non-primate terrestrial mammal. The discovery, reported in today's Nature, further supports the idea that vocal learning is important for maintaining individual social relationships among animals that separate and reunite over time, like dolphins and whales, some birds, and bats.
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

theres something a bit sinister about that

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Can anyone articulate the words that the elephant knows? This is really cool, but it could also be simply that the elephant has been trained (purposely or incidentally) to vocalize elephant sounds in certain situations, without really understanding that he appears to be carrying on a conversation, Meaning, I could train my dog to bark when I ask him "how was your day," but that doesn't mean he is articulating that he had a "rough" ("RUFF") day.

That's why knowing the words would be good. If the Korean word for "Hello" sounds like an elephant growl and the word for "good" sounds like an Elephant happy noise, this could be much ado about nothing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join