It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim scholar says: the loss of Christians from the region was an “impoverishment.”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This is an interesting take on the Middle East situation: a Muslim scholar has said that the flight of Christian populations from the Middle East has damaged the stability of the region. he blames a lack of democracy in the region and Bush's invasion of Iraq for exasperating the hostile feelings toward the Christian populations in the Middle East.

Muslim Scholar Upholds Christian Presence in Middle East

Reuters News reported on October 15 that Mohammad Sammak, a Sunni Muslim who serves as secretary general of Lebanon's Christian-Muslim Committee for Dialogue, told a synod of bishops that the loss of Christians from the region was an “impoverishment.”

"The emigration of Christians is an impoverishment of the Arabic identity, of its culture and authenticity," said Sammak, who is an advisor to Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri. He added that maintaining the Christian presence in the Middle East was a "common Islamic duty as much as a common Christian duty."

Another Muslim invited to address the conference was Ayatollah Seyed Mostafa Mohaghegh Damad Ahmadabadi, an Iranian Shi'ite law professor at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran, who addressed the need for maintaining security for communities of varying sizes and beliefs. "The stability of the world depends on the stability of the livelihood of small and large groups and societies," Damad said. "This stability could only be achieved when all can live without fear and threat from others. This is our duty to bring about such conditions."

Addressing the situation of Christians in Iraq since the removal of Saddam Hussein (whose close advisor, Tariq Aziz, was a Chaldean Christian), Sammak said Iraqi Christians unwittingly were caught in the middle of a struggle for power that has pitted Sunni Muslims against Shiite Muslims.

"Christians of Iraq are not — and I underline not — part of that conflict," said Sammak, but "they are caught in the middle of the conflict and they are paying the price for it."

In addition, he said, "Christians of Iraq had nothing to do with the invasion, they didn't call for the Americans to come to Iraq, they didn't ask for American protection, and yet they are sometimes treated as if they are part of the American invasion of Iraq."

The New American

It looks like all Muslims don't want all us heathen Christians dead after all. It shows that you can't believe everything you read in the MSM after all, especially when they're beating the drums to push us into yet another war in the Middle East.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
great post !! I know that there are well intentioned people among all the worlds faiths ,it's nice to see that you posted this ,I read Muslim scholars sometimes,but for some reason I have never posted what I find .

you did!! thankyou

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
From my own experiences, I wouldn't even say that there is anti-Christian sentiment in the Middle East, so much as there is anti-western sentiment, often expressed as anti-Christian sentiment, due almost exclusively to the foriegn policies of western countries such as the US. With that being said, I think that a lot of leaders motivate their followers by using religion and turning our foreign policies into a struggle for religion. In other words, they claim we are doing what we are doing, based on Christianity on our part or Islam on theirs. It's not so different from what many people here in the west (and Middle East) attribute to Judaism, where they blame Jews for the practices and policies of Jewish people and/or Jewish entities

Of course you have your religious extremists, where that notion is out of the window, but then again so is almost all rationality.

I do however believe that out of all three Abrahmic religions, Christianity seems to usher in the most prosperity, though I don't really attribute it to Christianity itself, rather the kinds of people who tend to subscribe to that particular religion.

Of course, having a region dominated by one religion - any religion - can be very bad, in my opinion, as it breeds fundamentalism. When you have only one religion, you tend to have laws and policies based on that religion and opposition to these restrictive laws and/or policies becomes rare. I believe that religion itself (at least Abraham-based religion) often stifles societal progress, as science and acceptance are often repressed.

Just look at some of the Middle Eastern countries, where the laws pretty much dampen intellectual and social progress. The US is similar, though not nearly as bad, as we tend to be a little more diverse. Could you imagine if there was no opposition to the Christian influences here in America? The US would probably be similar to certain ME countries, only tailored to Christianity instead of Islam.

Take stem cells for instance, where the Christian influences are trying to limit stem cell research based on their religious views. Of course this hampers science, particularly medical sciences that could ultimately lead to improved standards of living. The same with liberty, where people of one religion feel the need to impose their will on others, which is often the case in the ME, though here in the US too (think of all of the laws that are based on Christianity). The only difference between the US and the ME, is that we have a voice of opposition, as not everyone subscribes to those beliefs, thus we have more tolerance and freedom.

All in all, I think that the Abrahamic religions stifle societal progress, whether it be war, science, liberty or even justice. So, while we may have more liberties and our science is the best in the world, I don't attribute it to Christianity or even Judaism, rather I attribute it to diversity in religion, where opposition to repressive laws and polciies based on religion can't flourish unimpeded. If there were Christians in the ME, it may only help the region because it would be a voice of opposition, though ultimately, I believe the region would be a lot better if no religion at all were dominant.

--airspoon

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

Of course, it throws the delicate balance of beliefs even farther out of wack then they already are. It is my opinion that is when you get theocracies, inquestions and the various other forms of deadly silliness you see in history. People find it easier to demonize and want to destroy those they don't see on a daily basis.

And with tongue planted firmly in cheek: There you go. Not making the entire Islamic world sound like bloodravening intolerant barbarians. You must be Sleeper Islamist!!!! Just kidding.

edit on 17-10-2010 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: If you build it. They will come.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Only the extremist want total control and prolification of Islam. No where it is written directly that all other religions should be suppressed, it can however be interpreted but this is true to all books of God. " Go forth conquer and convert " !

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
This is actually quite an obvious thing.

I mean...imagine Egypt without the Copts? It just seems weird...and inconceivable! They may just make up about 15% of the population, but their cultural identity has become VERY STRONGLY linked to what "Egypt" is.

Similar case with Lebanon. Same with Syria. Same with Iran.

top topics

join