Thankyou everyone for the fantastic discussions and debates that this question has brought up.
I think it's fair to say that this is something of a hot topic.
I'm very interested in some particular arguments people have been putting forward -
1) The difference between multiculturalism (MC), and multi-ethnicity (ME).
2) "MultiKulti" has failed - allegedly
3) Multiculturalism caused WW2
4) Islam is less worthy as a religion / culture to integrate into the west
5) Islamic values are bad
6) What is fascism?
My responses -
1) MC is a policy - we must never forget that. It is a progressive policy designed to allow economic and social fluidity for any given nation.
People are the lifeblood of economics and societies, without this new lifelood, a society and economy will stagnate. Yes, I agree, it has been taken
too far - but what most people suggest is a complete opposite now, which is unjust, and unfair. ME is a tangible, measurable subject. Most western
countries are ME now - this is a good thing, anyone who suggests otherwise is fascist.
2) MC has failed. Mainly because, as other posters have pointed out, the legislators and leaders of western society have failed in their task of
upholding LAW and being liberally FAIR about it. Allowing discrimination (from both sides) on the grounds of religious / cultural differences is
wrong. Multiculturalism does not FAIL because it is MC, it fails, as usual, because we don't have the fortitude and 'smarts' to see it work properly.
That and certain groups profit massively from seeing it fail.
3) MC did NOT cause WW2. Fascism, empire building, and the BANKS caused WW2. Which advisors do you think came up with the idea of economic debt
based slavery that weakened and destroyed the Weimar government? Which organisations bank-rolled in secret and supported the fascist rise to power?
Which organisations provoked the Japanese into fighting a stupid war with America? MC is NOT to blame for WW2. Period.
4) Islam is a religion. As a religion it carries with it a certain cultural flavour. Is it less worthy to integrate into the west because it is what
it is? No - it's perfectly qualifed. Yes, I'm fully aware that Muslims don't always 'assimmilate' into the western form of slavery that we all find
ourselves in - naturally, we'd all want to be slaves right? Like any other religiously dominated ethnicity / society, Muslim based cultures have
their serious problems. But that's their issue - not ours. Our issue is when we make an exception for religious / arbitrary values in our social
rules and law. When we fail to tackle religious input being forcd into state polcy, MC will fail. Therefore, for MC to work - as it must - we must
promote the seperation of religion and state, and halt the slide back into the middle ages.
5) Islamic values combine a mixture of archaic and wholly civilized values. As do western cultures. Because we in the western world are not part of
the Islamic culture base, we do not understand or involve ourselves in their value system. When the two meet, judgements are made about particular
values that each holds, and stupid decisions made. Democracy demnds that the majority have things their way, and that the minority are included as
much as possible. By changing a societies laws and precedents to match any minority is undemocratic. Make of that what you will.
6) I swing the word fascism like an axe in a broad arc. Mainly because a lot of the time fascist people do not know they are being fascist. Follow
this below example -
Group A have big noses. Group B do not. Group B manages to convince the majority of the society present, that having a big nose is bad for everybody
in the given society. Society says ah well, nobody is perfect. Over time, Group B demonizes and excludes Group A because they have big noses (they
can't change because they were born that way, or just enjoyed having a big nose). Group A starts fighting back against this oppression because it's
unfair and unjust. Group B, having more people on their side, begins to remove or exterminate this DANGEROUS and UNHEALTHY Group A.
Group B are fascists. Being anti-Islamic is fascist. Being anti-christian is fascist. Being anti-hindu is fascist. Being anti-big nose is fascist.
Can you carry on the anti's to see where it leads you?
Being pro-secular is good, as you want to save religions from being persecuted. Being national interest - NOT nationalist. is good as you want to
improve your society democratically. Persecuting a minority just because of what they are, is WRONG in any view - just because Islam is a rather
blinkered and stupid way to lead your life, doesn't mean we can persecute and ostracize those who practise it. That woud be fascist.
edit on 17-10-2010 by The Revenant because: (no reason given)