It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disappearing car door

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I've done several searches on here using various key words and haven't found this on here. If it is here and I just missed it, please feel free to delete this post. The video featured in the link features a car with a unique door. The door actually slides into the car instead of opening outward. At first, I thought that it was the coolest thing ever. After thinking about it further, I found a few problems with it. First, how would you get in or out if the battery was dead? I would hope that there's a manual over-ride feature. Also, if the car is hit from the side and the door is damaged, would it still be able to retract? Would the jaws of life still be able to get the driver and passengers out? Sure, the other door might work but what if it was damaged by another impact? Or if the crash bent the frame in some way so that the other door wouldn't operate? Anywho, check it out. What do you think?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
It would definitely have a manual override. But as you mentioned what would happen in a crash? Normal car doors are hard to open in some collisions, this one would be impossible.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
thats cool ..looks very futuristic...but also comfortable..

i think in a crash you have the same problems with normal doors
...they have to cut you out

definatly cool stuff..reminds me that "normal" car doors rly out of date

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
Normal car doors are hard to open in some collisions, this one would be impossible.

Like angrydog said, I think they would have to cut you out. As cool as it is, I think a little more research should have been done on the design.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I read up on this a while back - it's kinda cool, but it fails for a few of the reasons other people have mentioned.

The company has been unsuccessfully looking for financial backing for a long time, I don't think we'll be seeing this in production in the near future.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

That's pretty interesting.
I think all of your questions are answered in the FAQ's section of their website.

What happens in a serious road accident?
Our doors are stronger and more impact resistant that standard car doors for the following reasons.

Our door integration technology along with our modular cruciform door structure ensure that our door reunites structurally with the body when closed in a way which offers greater resistance to crash impact than a standard door as shown in crash tests performed for us by a major supplier to the automobile manufacturers.

How do Passengers escape after a bad crash?
Jatech has developed a Proprietary Access/Escape System which is built into every Retractable Door vehicle. An Impact Sensor releases all latches after a short built-in time lapse to allow for secondary impacts. The door can then be pushed outwards to the ground as there are no hinges to hold front end of the door in place.

Paramedics, Firemen and other accident responding personnel also found that access to passengers would be much improved in any severe accident situation.

What happens if the vehicle experiences power failure?
Our vehicles are equipped with a Manual Override which can be operated from inside or outside the vehicle.

Disappearing Cars Doors FAQ's

Disappearing Car Doors website

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
wow this is old news really

BMW made a car....the Z1 and it had the same door...they were a lot smaller but the same concept. This was back in the 90s

www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...

edit on 16-10-2010 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Three_moons

I didn't see the faq section. Thanks!

posted on Dec, 2 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Something needed in every car.

www.safehomeproducts.com...
www.amazon.com...
saveyourlife.us...

Get into a crash? Car goes into water? No problem, cut your seatbelt and bust out a window with little to no effort.

Tempered glass is difficult to break unless you hit it with a tiny point, then it shatters very easily.

The door looks like a nice idea, great for a two-car garage. I wondered about the crash thing myself until I remembered the hammers linked above. Something like that even the keychain product is a nice device to have regardless of your door situation in the event of an emergency.

I would have more concern with my interior if the weather was wet say heavy rain or snow. I think I could open and close a normal car door quicker than it does and less would get wet.

Raist

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Raist

That's a neat little tool. Thanks for the links. It looks like it could also be a good little self defense weapon, if need be.

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The disappearing door trick is quite old actually.

BMW used it on the Z1 in 1989

I knew someone that had one of these in 1989 It looked amazingly cool

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

The disapearing door concept actually goes even further back
Here is a 1954 Kaiser-Darrin.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4715076640de.jpg[/atsimg]

The car in the OP has a pretty neat Idea. But they are doing it on an ass ugly car. Also what happens when it is pouring down rain? When the door starts to rotate under, wouldnt the door panels get soaked and maybe even funnel water right into the floor of the car?

posted on Dec, 3 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Thanks for reviving my thread, guys. I guess it is an old concept.

new topics

top topics

join