It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anothr useless thread about useless threads "ET phone home"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
So gives the fact as of late in a nut shell over the last year more hoaxes than anything has buzzed the wire, what the hell is with all these useless threads? I mean i feel like a schmuck for creating a thread about threads that need beaten with a waffle bat and wrapped in duct tape by Red Green himself and then dumped off the Jersey Shore about 20 miles out would suffice.

Perhaps he moderators are on a vacation, and this may be some rant but can we PLEASE get back to talking about UFO's and Aliens?

You know...

The UFO's that had no strings attached, a " i will call you" kind of deal with these Intruders?

In all seriousness i hate to create a thread knowing the case or point has been discussed a million times at is is. I just want to read about actuality, some Data and some actual cases rather than 40 balloons let loose after a Quinceañera in Brooklyn.

US
edit on 16-10-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
And in keeping on topic heres another useless reply for your useless thread about useless threads

I know what you mean though it does get tedious.

Star for thread title though - quality

edit on 16/10/10 by cropmuncher because: insert mean

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Unknown Soldier

I could not agree more with your sentiment on this issue. It is extremely testing to sit here time after time, sifting out some hoax BS that wouldnt fool a ten year old, just to get to the good stuff. I miss the days where EVERY SINGLE THREAD had some finer points to dwell on, were the post quality was enough to make your intellectual balls ache.... It was glorious and nourishing to the mind.
These days though, you can barely scrape enough interesting material out of a days threads to make even the most utterly tedious of persons take note.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The staff might bust my chops and move this thread but it deserves discussion. At least contributes more than the "i have proof of aliens " or "i dont believe aliens came here guys" kind of threads. Might as well waste the bandwidth.

I am one to keep to myself and speak when i feel i must or if i see it is of merit. Seems to be a trend now and for some time, i rather make a thread about UFO's that has not been created or a classic case that has not been discussed. No lash out at the moderation, it just seems there is a snow ball effect of useless threads. That is the whole point of this thread about useless threads. As if thinking logic in reverse, this serves nothing. Opinions, Disbelief and Blind faith.

Use to be deny ignorance and keep hearing many users use this term yet no "be all end all" to such nonsense.

I feel like a tool for making this thread but someone need's to set the bar once again in my opinion
Real research and progress depends on factual data, not opinions and perception of ones reality what he feels works for himself. Egos and intolerance has disrupted the way of ATS.

Deny Ignorance?
[
edit on 16-10-2010 by Unknown Soldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's the posters that feel the need to repeat post the exact same opinion again and again in a thread that are grinding my gears lately. Saying something over and over doesn't make it more believable.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Star I totally get what your saying. I put it down simply to it being a slow news day. When there is not much happening in the world, and it does occasionally happen, the crazy threads come out and take up space.

The annoying thing is people visiting the site may assume this kind of content is glorified, and therefore anyone who is a member is also gluebag. Which simply isn't true...

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
Star I totally get what your saying. I put it down simply to it being a slow news day. When there is not much happening in the world, and it does occasionally happen, the crazy threads come out and take up space.

The annoying thing is people visiting the site may assume this kind of content is glorified, and therefore anyone who is a member is also gluebag. Which simply isn't true...

Well, sir, I remember seeing twice in the last two days responses from you that were one-liners and virtually worthless to the topic at hand. I have seen better from you.

A problem area that has not been mentioned here that goes beyond the hoaxers is the 8-page thread that was just closed. I would bet that the OP knew full well that the image was not worth putting out (again), but did so and suckered posters in by ending with the "debunk this..." phrase. Knowledgeable mods could help a lot before eight pages are used.

But is that fellow and similar posters acting independly or are they a part of a formal or informal group? And is ATS behind some of this? After all, I keep reminding people, ATS is not in the business for truth per se. It is for money, and the methodology is via entertainment to the masses. Pro and con controversey is the way to keep activity up. And if you are in the entertainment business, you may have to create your product sometimes.

Take for example a related area, a couple of the constant debunkers here on ATS. Why are they constantly around? Can you image that ATS honchos would pay them to always be shoving sticks into our eyes? I think the answer is yes, but I've learned to live with it because they aid in our critical thinking skills. They get the juices flowing on what would become a dull site of sloppy pro arguments (of which we have enough already).

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

p.s. be the change u want to see in the world

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Between 'user-generated content' and the T&Cs, we've already got boundaries in place. Throw in the usual thread terrorists and the combined brainage of ATS members and the 'useless' threads tend to get dealt with.

Naturally, some threads are on the hysterical side and get flagged to death by people on the hysterical side of ufology. Nevertheless, we've all read threads that have changed our thinking or consciousness to some degree. The flip-side of the excellent threads are the truly poor threads that don't mean much to anyone bar the OP. Let's be honest too...we've all posted a bad thread at times.

This section probably averages out at a dozen threads a day and they can't all be original, good or thought-provoking. Like movies, books and TV shows...it's worth having all the bad ones while we wait for those that catch our imagination.

ETA: Just looked through the first two pages of the UFO/Aliens board. Barring the stickies, I counted 9 threads that are good in my opinion.

edit on 16-10-2010 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Have you been stalking me?
Just kidding.

I know which comments you are referring to. I have to say given that the two threads I commented on relate to the issue stated in the OP of this thread, I think they were justified.

In one of those threads the OP said, 'I am an alien, any questions?' That was it. I don't think you can blame me for a one liner there. The other one was regarding a very obviously fake photograph that shouldn't even really been up for discussion. After all we could discuss stills from every science fiction film ever made otherwise. If I had wrote any more it would really have just been a waste of my time. But I agree with you in a sense, in that case I should instead, just not have bothered.

I will probably do this in future.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Unknown Soldier.....

Actually.....

I think that amongst the preponderance of extremely low quality UFO material that has been presented on ATS during the past month or so, there has been a small number of quite interesting threads.

The thing that will damage ATS in the long run is the relatively new group of "hard core" wilful liars & hoaxers who knowingly "skate along the ragged edge" of the T&C's. There are a few that are causing real problems.

I think that is a difficult area for ATS to manage.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 16-10-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Lol.... I like this thread. It's kind of harsh but true. I'm starting to get more and more familiar with the threads and I'm starting to learn not everyone who posts a thread looks into it themselves before claiming it's a UFO. After the NYC balloon thread...I learned the hard way to not take people's opinions to heart...because a lot of people let their passion and wants to get in the way of common sense. Ah! I guess we all had to learn that at one point! It just took me a little longer =P

I also want to add that the increase of hoax threads probably have a lot to do with the Oct. 13 prediction. I think most of us wanted it to come true...but a lot of people took it too far and needed it to come true...so the silly UFO threads that were obvious hoaxes, was more wishful thinking than a deliberate time waster. Hopefully it dies down in a couple days to a week? Unless it's always like this..I'm not sure how it was before I discovered ATS.
edit on 16-10-2010 by IzzycomesinPeace because: Had another thought I wanted to add.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I just thank God that the Bloosom Goodchild and Nancy Leider material has been kept at bay.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8c4c29cf3562.gif[/atsimg]
If I ever see another thread about Zeta Talk it will be the death of me. By now everyone should realize that is a hoax.

The balloons are a tough call sometimes, but when objects are just drifting along without maneuvering, one should begin to get suspicious.

Here in Arizona, I watched through binoculars one night several years ago as some people were trying to hoax a PHOENIX LIGHTS episode with flares. You can always tell flares because they generate a thick smoke plume in addition to the intense light. You will always see this smoke plume due to the intense light and it is a dead giveaway that flares are being used. If you do not see the smoke plume, then maybe you are looking at a genuine ufo event.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

As a member who recently posted a useless thread about useless threads, I concur with your useless thread about useless threads as well. Finally, someone on here who was also terrorized by the helium balloon invasion! Believe it or not, there's actually members on ATS who are trying to claim the helium balloon invasion never occurred! It seems many choose to live in denial forever, man! They're like the Holocaust deniers!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   

I totally agree with you besides I want to read about new developments and new theories about ancient aliens. And ofcourse reliable information about disclosure.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

The balloons are a tough call sometimes, but when objects are just drifting along without maneuvering, one should begin to get suspicious.

It also doesn't really help when one can see a string attached to one of the balloons flapping in the wind, which is what I saw in a video someone posted specifically for me to prove it was ufo's.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

In my opinion, there's far more proof of UFO's to be found in the ancient artifacts and paintings by artists from the past few centuries than there is in some of the photos and videos we've seen in recent times.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Flag for sure!

IMHO it´s not so much about the content provided by the ATS OP´s as how the threads are executed and related to. ATS is turning into a chat room without any purpose other than to muddy the waters. There´s like 10+ threads about "how to get into area 51", 10+ threads about "proof of secret base in Dulce", 30+ threads about "i demand disclosure now dammit" and so on. IT´s impossible to follow unless you are unemployed and have invented 48hr days.

Further, have people stopped reading thread content? In some cases members are even openly stating "i didn´t read the whole thing but here´s my take...". How can you provide content that is not already provided a dozen times if you don´t read the thread? It makes some threads impossible to read.

For the purpose of beeing a tad constructive, there should be an ATStube of some sort. Got footage of some blurry dots in the sky but don´t really know what to say or don´t care to do some research, put it up. If enough interest is generated, THEN make a thread. Or...if you have done some homework, then by all means, put up the 89th thread about area51 if you feel it adds relevant information.

IMHO, a good example. Zorgon has made a huge amount of interesting threads, sure, you need to keep a pretty open mind about it to follow and some of it might sound pretty crazy but he certainly does his homework. Truth WILL be found in unexpected places.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomra
Flag for sure!

IMHO it´s not so much about the content provided by the ATS OP´s as how the threads are executed and related to. ATS is turning into a chat room without any purpose other than to muddy the waters. There´s like 10+ threads about "how to get into area 51", 10+ threads about "proof of secret base in Dulce", 30+ threads about "i demand disclosure now dammit" and so on. IT´s impossible to follow unless you are unemployed and have invented 48hr days.

Further, have people stopped reading thread content? In some cases members are even openly stating "i didn´t read the whole thing but here´s my take...". How can you provide content that is not already provided a dozen times if you don´t read the thread? It makes some threads impossible to read.

For the purpose of beeing a tad constructive, there should be an ATStube of some sort. Got footage of some blurry dots in the sky but don´t really know what to say or don´t care to do some research, put it up. If enough interest is generated, THEN make a thread. Or...if you have done some homework, then by all means, put up the 89th thread about area51 if you feel it adds relevant information.

IMHO, a good example. Zorgon has made a huge amount of interesting threads, sure, you need to keep a pretty open mind about it to follow and some of it might sound pretty crazy but he certainly does his homework. Truth WILL be found in unexpected places.

Peace.

I really do agree with you. When people post threads like you stated...I don't really understand how we are supposed to discuss some topics. Like when people start a topic with some crazy speculation story with no evidence to back it up...What am I supposed to say to that?
You also say that you don't like when people start a reply that says "well I haven't read the full thread..but.." I have to admit I've done that a few times. If it's an obnoxiously long thread that will take 3 hours to get through...I don't blame people. I try to at least skim through threads. But..I never thought about how it could make it tedious for others to read threads if I say the exact same thing as someone else. So...I'll do my part from now and not comment unless I'm sure that the same idea wasn't posted before mine.

new topics

top topics

join