It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Forbidden Truth About Pirates

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Mention the word 'pirate' to anyone and it immediately conjures up a specific image...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f92ac7a5ba9.png[/atsimg]

These stereotypes were sown into the fabric of society by the likes of Robert Louis Stevenson (Treasure Island) and J.M Barrie (Peter Pan) and a whole new generation of children will carry the exact same stereotypes forward thanks to the success of Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

Modern piracy doesn't peddle to such stereotypes. The cutlass is replaced by an AK-47, the Flintlock pistol replaced by RPG's and the great wooden ships have been replaced by powerboats - in summary; things have moved up a notch.

Still, modern pirates are just as bloodthirsty and money hungry as their forefathers, aren't they?

Indian warship foils Somali pirate attack: Navy

An Indian warship on Sunday foiled an attempt by Somalian pirates to hijack merchant vessels off Somalia's coast in in the Gulf of Aden, a Navy spokesman said on Monday.

Source

Somali pirates attack Dutch warship

Dutch marines on Sunday disarmed 12 suspected pirates off the coast of Somalia who had mistakenly attacked their warship thinking it was a merchant vessel, the Dutch defence ministry said.

Source

US destroyer foils pirate attack, sinks mother ship

The flagship of the international Combined Task Force (CTF) 151, USS Farragut, operating off Somalia and in the Indian Ocean, has rescued an oil tanker from suspected pirates in the Somali Basin area of the western Indian Ocean.

Source

Well yes, if the media is to be believed, piracy (especially in Somalia) is rampant. Hundreds of indiscriminate attacks each year on all manner of vessels, military and civilian.

In fact, the situation in Somalia is so out of control that the UN Security Council adopted a resolution on November 20, 2008, proposed by Britain, introducing tougher sanctions against Somalia over the country's failure to prevent a surge in sea piracy.

And it is at this point that we all put on our tinfoil hats......

...because while some may see these pirates as the aggressors (and in many cases this is absolutely the case) there are some who see them as defenders, defenders of Somalian sovereignty.

UN Resolutions 1816, 1838 and 1844 had nothing to do with preventing piracy, in fact, they were concerned with doing the complete opposite - just on their terms. These resolutions gave a license to any nation who wants a piece of the Somali marine cake. Both NATO and the EU issued Orders to the same effect and Russia, Japan, India, Malaysia, Egypt, Yemen and anyone else who could afford an armed boat and its crew on the sea for a few months joined the fray.

And so, since 1991 countries from all over the world have been stealing Somalia's precious food supply - stealing much needed food resources from a nation that has been teetering on starvation for nearly 20 years. And they have been doing it under the pretext of 'fighting piracy.'

It gets worse.

In return the people of Somalia get the rest of the worlds waste...nuclear waste.

Yes: nuclear waste. As soon as the government was gone, mysterious European ships started appearing off the coast of Somalia, dumping vast barrels into the ocean. The coastal population began to sicken. At first they suffered strange rashes, nausea and malformed babies. Then, after the 2005 tsunami, hundreds of the dumped and leaking barrels washed up on shore. People began to suffer from radiation sickness, and more than 300 died.

Johann Hari: You are being lied to about pirates

This issue has been completely ignored (surprise, surprise
) by the mainstream media, that was until the tsunami of 2005...

Somalias secret dumps of toxic waste washed ashore by tsunami

THE huge waves which battered northern Somalia after the tsunami in December are believed to have stirred up tonnes of nuclear and toxic waste illegally dumped in the war-racked country during the early 1990s.

Apart from killing about 300 people and destroying thousands of homes, the waves broke up rusting barrels and other containers and hazardous waste dumped along the long, remote shoreline, a spokesman for the United Nations Environment Programme (Unep) said.

“Initial reports indicate that the tsunami waves broke open containers full of toxic waste and scattered the contents. We are talking about everything from medical waste to chemical waste products,” Nick Nuttal, the Unep spokesman, told The Times.

Source

This forced some other media outlets to question the piracy campaign in Somalia; 'Toxic Waste' behind Somali Piracy

But this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, after all, it has been admitted by one of those responsible, none other than Lawrence Summers, who was Chief Economist of the World Bank at the time. In a leaked 1991 memo Summers states:

"The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that."

He later stated he was merely being 'sarcastic', either way the mans a nasty piece of work.

A summary of this can be seen here:

The truth is, the world has turned a blind eye to this issue for nearly 20 years and it is now time to see it for what it is; a conspiracy.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0b2daaf08c27.jpg[/atsimg]

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Addittional: The Two Piracies in Somalia: Why the World Ignores the Other?
edit on 16/10/2010 by LiveForever8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Good thread.

MSM has covered it somewhat though.

Here's a report from 60 minutes Australia that you might find interesting:

sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

True, they have been forced to cover it in recent years because more and more people were speaking out.

The report you provided is a good example of how these issues are mentioned, very briefly, before the report moves on. The nuclear waste dumping wasn't even mentioned.

Another point worth making is when the reporter asks the police chief "Do you think these men are pirates?" and he replies "I don't know, the Americans say they are..."

Which is exactly what I would expect.

Also worth citing (from the report) "Beneath the desert there is thought to be an ocean of oil just waiting to be exploited."

I wonder how long that will take?

Cheers.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I actually consider myself to be a Pirate.

In part because I will commandeer anything from an ATS thread to the family trickster, to the TV remote and so on and so forth.

Above all to be a Pirate you have to drink prodigious amounts of Rum from time to time and throw aye into your sentences frequently while doing so. This is one of the more fun parts of being a pirate.

I consider computer hackers to be modern day pirates, and anyone who hijacks a system and bends it for their own use to be a modern day pirate. That system doesn’t necessarily have to be a computer a system, but most systems in this day and age to revolve around computers of some sort.

I personally believe Pirates are an essential ingredient when it comes to combating tyranny and oppression and creating enough of a wild card to keep the Powers that Be at least on their toes.

To be a Pirate or any kind of real outlaw and Pirates are outlaws you have to have a code. Your code is your own set of rules for what is right and wrong that you believe in as opposed to the Powers that Be, Politicians, Bankers, and frightened and brainwashed average citizens.

Part of the reason you chose to be a Pirate and an Outlaw is because you recognize there are real hypocritical and moral problems with the actual laws of the land that are often not just and lead to an imbalance in the world that is detrimental to everyone but a chosen few.

As a Pirate and an Outlaw you are in part dedicated to restoring that balance by living outside the law that creates that imbalance.

While most of us are trained to religiously adhere to the laws of the land and frown mightily on anyone that doesn’t, some of history’s greatest heroes even for such people who toe that line are outlaws, pirates, gangsters and rebels.

Many law abiding citizens romanticize such figures because they do inherently know or at least sense there are too many laws, that are stacked against the average person that rob them of true freedom, real opportunity and a quality of life, but because of family or position feel it’s better safe than sorry.

Yet when one goes to the movies, Hollywood clearly dishes us up a non-stop production of people who aren’t interested in playing it safe and are rarely if seldom ever sorry. So most people have a secret admiration for such people in fantasy, that often leads to a real jealousy in reality, that then makes them resentful of those who chose not to play it safe, and aren’t particularly sorry.

Pirates, Outlaws, brigands and other assorted knaves and scoundrels in fact often pioneered some of the most precious freedoms we all now take for granted. They dared to be free and enjoy these things despite the laws of the land and in so doing enticed others to emulate them and enjoy them and popularize them to the point that political and religious leaders had to accede and allow the populace to enjoy them too.

As such, such people will always play an important part in maintaining and ensuring the notions and concepts of freedom.

Which leads me to ask, have you hugged a pirate today?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Instead of reading this article, aren't we all supposed to be focused on who will play the Supervisor in the movie made about the Chilean Miners? (I say Ben Affleck)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
Above all to be a Pirate you have to drink prodigious amounts of Rum from time to time and throw aye into your sentences frequently while doing so.

Sounds like one of my lecturers

Yer, I can't stand the anti-piracy adverts they play before films...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b7bf473001e3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Somalia has no functioning government. If and when aid reaches the shores it it stolen by warlords and NOT given to the starving masses - fact. The pirates who operate out of Somalia don't do it for any noble nor just cause, they are warlord controlled who are in it for personal gain, nothing more, nothing less. Any many of the targets they hit are in international waters.

There are too many people who want to find a conspiracy perpetrated by the evil west under every single rock they look under. Get real people.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3finjo
There are too many people who want to find a conspiracy perpetrated by the evil west under every single rock they look under. Get real people.

Perhaps a site that deals almost exclusivley in conspiracies isnt for you?

I for one got beef with the Somali thing. Maybe the pirates are good bad or both, what does not make a lot of sense is that so many countries have put high tech war vessels in the area (including countries that generally dont get along).

I was really creeped out by the killing of the French man on his yacht where his family were, killed by his own governments special forces. I found the footage shot from the yacht a few days earlier very ominous. A French naval helicopter comes up on the boat and coldy tells the family off, saying this is no place for a holiday. They were well away from Somali coastline, why would the pirates risk going out that far, they would have to slip through warships there and on the way back for a ransom or reward that was far from guarenteed.

What was the yacht close too though? THE GULF OF ARDEN STARGATE!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

I say follow the money trail...

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by 3finjo

So countries ILLEGALLY dumping nuclear/toxic waste in Somali waters isn't a conspiracy? And ILLEGALLY fishing in Somali waters and then covering it up isn't a conspiracy?

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Majestic23

Originally posted by Majestic23

Maybe the pirates are good bad or both, what does not make a lot of sense is that so many countries have put high tech war vessels in the area (including countries that generally dont get along).

To fight piracy, of course.

Combined Task Force 150 (CTF-150) is a multinational coalition naval task force with logistics facilities at Djibouti established to monitor, inspect, board, and stop suspect shipping to pursue the "War on Terrorism" and in the Horn of Africa region.

Countries presently contributing to CTF-150 include Republic of Korea, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Pakistan, Thailand the United Kingdom and the United States. Other nations who have participated include Australia, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, and Turkey.

Combined Task Force - Somalia

They were well away from Somali coastline, why would the pirates risk going out that far, they would have to slip through warships there and on the way back for a ransom or reward that was far from guarenteed.

Somali pirates have ventured far into the Indian Ocean in the past, some even as far as Indonesia and the general Oceania region. They have no problem covering vast distances so I am not surprised by that story.

What was the yacht close too though? THE GULF OF ARDEN STARGATE!!!

I followed that story for a while until I heard about this piracy issue, then the huge military presence was explained as far as I was concerned. Unless the piracy story is just a cover story

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

See now this doesn't surprise me at all! Can someone please explain to me why it seems like from the get go, tptb have had a particularly nasty love of destroying everything african/aboriginal, its like out of all the races in the world those of african descent seem to get the worst deal than any of us! Why is this?

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhebefree

These powerful people (Prince Philip, Bill Gates, Rockefeller) have a very definable history within eugenics and the the vaccine programs. They consider themselves to be 'the elite' and want to very much keep it that way by killing off completely or rendering infertile any 'undesirables'. I'm sure you and I would be included but it does seem that Africa bares the brunt of their wrath.

Nigerias Muslim clerics fear polio vaccine

The global campaign to eradicate polio by 2005 is being threatened by the resurgence of the disease in the far north of Nigeria.

Despite this, an immunisation programme has been put on hold because of claims by Muslim clerics that the vaccine is being deliberately contaminated as part of a western plot.

In the predominantly Muslim region where anti-American sentiments often run high, the idea that the polio vaccine is part of a US plot to render women in the developing world infertile quickly took hold.

Source

These poor people are told that if they do not take the vaccines their aid will be removed and the fertility rate in Africa has dropped accordingly.

It's all about keeping the 'stock' (as they call it) clean and healthy. which is why inbreeding was so prevalent amongst these affluent families for hundreds of years.

new topics

top topics

join