It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OxyContin Neurontin and Motrin Oh my! MATURE CONTENT!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I just got caught up with all of the posts. You guys are absolutely awesome. You have given me much insight with how to deal with this situation. It has been discussed in a mature manner and there has been zero trolling. With this being said...

I am going to be calling the doctor on call tomorrow during the afternoon probably. I want him to try and call me in some Tylenol 4. I have researched from your info guys and my own info. Coming off of a Narcotic so strong can have severe side effects which to me, sound like complete hell if stopped suddenly. They can also cause dangerous physical side effects such as: Heart palpatations, nausea, vommiting, and diahahrea. I would rather not experience that!
The guy is very understanding and should work with me if I express my concern in an honest manner. I doubt he would be so cruel as to let me suffer.

I am getting ready to "throw away", the OxyContins and get me some Tylenol 4! Then baby step down to the #3's! This whole thing is just nuts. Cancer sucks!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NeverApologize

Good luck partner!
Baby steps, scratch that - take fetus steps.
you can't go to slowly on to this.

Congrats on the upcoming baby!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If you are not certain on the difference between Drug Addiction and Chemical Dependence I highly recommend you discuss this issue with your physician.

These are all excellent medications, but ONLY WHEN TAKEN EXACTLY AS PRESCRIBED and/or prescribed by a trustworthy physician who has your health and not BigPharma's wealth as their main concern.

Jello Said It Best -- "Trust Your Mechanic":

I wish your the very best in your road to recovery,

t

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
When I had neuropathy, because they wouldn't take the time to figure out what was causing it, lol, they had me on a lot of neurontin.

It made me ditzy and one day I tapered off and quit it. I noticed it didn't help my pain anyway I had been telling my doc that it didn't seem to help and he just kept increasing my dosage until the world spun. Bleh.

Motrin decreases inflamation and has some use, but it's bad on your liver. It' might be helping your oxycotin kick in better so don't mess with it.

Neurontin, in retrospect, I know what it is supposed to do, but I don't think it does it worth a crap. It's just expensive.

Got a good immunologist that has me straight now, and the myalin is now back on my nerves and I've not taken crap for pain in over a year.

I almost think some of these idiots are too jaded and too quick to write people off.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Motrin is hard on the liver, but man is it effective. I take it daily to keep my nemisis, Arthur Itis, away.

OxyContin is nothing more than Oxycodone (Percocet) encased on a molecular level in wax. It is what helps make it long lasting and supposedly unable for junkies to shoot up (they say it kills them....i really don't know and don't care).

Neurontin is a great reliever of nerve pain. I get that, too, from shingles I had on my face/scalp about 15 years ago.

You shouldn't need all three...but i am not your doctor. OxyContin, primarily, is something i would look to replace with a PRN medication.

I am not a doctor, but few here are. Don't take any of our advice. I have seen some really, really stupid people on this site trying to get people to do some really, really stupid things.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by theuhstuf
[mor

I can tell you that Neurontin will make u brain dead. My ex-boss is on it, couldn't work with her any more because she is a complete idiot. It destroys nerves, and since your whole brain is full of nerves, you'll slowly lose cognitive abilities.
I took it for a few days couldn't handle it and threw it away... bad!bad! bad! stuff made me feel like I was going crazy

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
reply to post by reticlevision[

I get your sarcasm. Thanks. Smarty pants!

I came for an ALTERNATIVE view. I am just trying to see what others experiences are. I have been on the medical boards and forums. Those people don't think things out like the people on this site do.

Can you try again, although I liked your Motrin comment! I do have a sense of humor. The Motrin didn't hurt that!
Unless you absolutely have to take it get off of all of it!been there done that, it will mess your life up in ways you cannot imagine but if you do check with your doctor.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I am allergic to NSAIDS, and they cause skin rashes and cellular damage. Not a good thing to use.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
You are addicted. Not to the Motrin (which is horrible for your liver), or to the Neurontin (a relatively clean/safe drug that disrupts pain signals), but to the Oxycontin. Pain medications with a morphine basis cause physical addiction. When the medication in your system becomes low, your body's reaction is to go into a type of withdrawal until you obtain more. Physical withdrawal would include sweating, shaking, aching, headache, an inability to sleep. You can also be psychologically addicted, and simply crave the drug. However, when you become physically addicted, you have an issue. Depending on how long you have been on the drug, the best thing is to slowly titrate off of the drug. Start dividing the drug, and over a month slowly go down in dose until you can quit relatively comfortably.

Another issue you may be facing is that of 'rebound' pain. Rebound pain is actually caused from taking pain drugs for a duration of time. The issue with rebound pain, is that you may not really have pain anymore, but because your body no longer manufactures it's own opiates (and endorphins), it cannot mediate pain. Rebound pain is treated by slowly withdrawing off the oxycontin by titrating to lower and lower doses- while your body begins to start making it's own pain preventative chemicals.

Addiction is a complicated disorder. The Neurontin, properly dosed (usually higher than the recommended dose), should be enough to alleviate the pain by itself. You shouldn't need the Motrin or the Oxycontin. Neurontin is not addictive. Addiction can range from mild withdrawal symptoms that are uncomfortable to severe pain and problematic symptoms. Without knowing more about the symptoms you are experiencing, it is hard to gage where you should go.

Physical addiction can be dealt with by lowering your dose and titrating off. Psychological addiction, however, may require assistance. Psychological addiction will make you go to extremes to get the drug, and you will be withdrawn, moody and possibly depressed without your substance of choice. Your doctor should have been monitoring you closely while on Oxycontin. If you want to get this stuff out of your system, be sure and be gentle on yourself. You are not a weak person, these drugs are addictive. They fit right into the synapse that causes pleasure. A good sign is your honesty and readiness to address your concerns. Good Luck.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostviking
Pain medications with a morphine basis cause physical addiction.

This is true, but studies have shown that the worse your pain is, the more morphine you can take without getting addicted. There is no need to fear taking morphine for treatment of serious pain.

However taking Oxycontin may be different to taking pure morphine in that respect. I suspect, after seeing valium forced on young mothers in a maternity ward in the 70's, all of whom became addicted during their hospital stays, that drug companies work to make their products addictive.

Another issue you may be facing is that of 'rebound' pain. Rebound pain is actually caused from taking pain drugs for a duration of time. The issue with rebound pain, is that you may not really have pain anymore, but because your body no longer manufactures it's own opiates (and endorphins), it cannot mediate pain. Rebound pain is treated by slowly withdrawing off the oxycontin by titrating to lower and lower doses- while your body begins to start making it's own pain preventative chemicals.

As a clinical masseuse, I've observed this problem in many patients who have come to me for pain relief. The more pain-killers they had taken, the lower their pain threshhold was.
People should not take pain-killers for minor pain, (or give pain-killers to children unnecessarily,) because by doing so they lesson the body's ability to produce its own opiates to cope with pain in the future.

When you have needed pain-killers long-term, this increased pain sensitivity is a serious issue, which can make it terribly hard to get off them. I recommend a long, hot bath every day or two, make use of a relaxing spa if you have access to one, meditate or do relaxation exercises, and drink camomile tea to help you relax.

You should also, of course, see a co-operative doctor who can help you lower the dosages safely.

Addiction is a complicated disorder. The Neurontin, properly dosed (usually higher than the recommended dose), should be enough to alleviate the pain by itself. You shouldn't need the Motrin or the Oxycontin. Neurontin is not addictive. Addiction can range from mild withdrawal symptoms that are uncomfortable to severe pain and problematic symptoms. Without knowing more about the symptoms you are experiencing, it is hard to gage where you should go.

Physical addiction can be dealt with by lowering your dose and titrating off. Psychological addiction, however, may require assistance. Psychological addiction will make you go to extremes to get the drug, and you will be withdrawn, moody and possibly depressed without your substance of choice. Your doctor should have been monitoring you closely while on Oxycontin. If you want to get this stuff out of your system, be sure and be gentle on yourself. You are not a weak person, these drugs are addictive. They fit right into the synapse that causes pleasure. A good sign is your honesty and readiness to address your concerns. Good Luck.

All excellent advice, and I echo the "good luck".

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

The Neurontin, properly dosed (usually higher than the recommended dose), should be enough to alleviate the pain by itself.

Neurontin only works on certain types of pain mostly neurological pain.(postherpetic neuralgia, neuropathy, fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, diabetic neuropathy,
Its best use is for nerve pain where the nerves are cross firing or have been severed/damaged or affected by a autoimmune disease and are trying to regrow.

neurontin (gabapentin)is also used for epileptic seizures disorders because it stops nerve cross-firing in the brain.

When you are starting gabapentin The initial dose of 300 mg daily is increased over several days/weeks to the recommended daily dose. The max dosage for gabapentin is 3600mg a day
Suddenly going from 0 to 900+mg a day can cause many of the side affects as your body tries to acclimate

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeverApologize
Hey guys! I just wanted some help and opinions. I am curious about some of the medications that I take on a daily basis. A brief reason why I take: OxyContin 20mg (2-4 per day), Neurontin 300mg (3 per day), Motrin 600mg (3 per day).

In early February of 2010 I was complaining of Left Testicular Pain. For weeks I was debating on whether or not to go to the Local Emergency Room for the pain I was experiencing. Well, to make a very long story short, I ended up going to the hospital the Third Week of February.

I arrive at the hospital and am checked out. Again, a long story short, I was Ultra Sounded, MRI'd, and CT Scanned. Lumps were discovered on my RIGHT. The opposite side of the complaint of my pain! The LEFT, they discovered a Clotted Vein which they assumed may cause the pain. They also say what they called Micro-Calcifications, inside the LEFT. They also stated that the left with these issues shouldn't be causing this much pain. At this point I am a little confused and shocked!

OK. Well I am shot up with all kinds of powerful drugs at the ER and monitored for the next three days in the Hospital, I was admitted. For the next few days I was pumped full of Hydromorphone, Morphine, Toradol, and anitbiotics. They also add that upon further investigation I have a case of Epididymitis. Bingo! This was what was causing the pain! I regain some sanity! I am not crazy for having this pain and I no longer look like a drug seeking dope head!

On day three I am discharged. I am told to follow up with a Urologist. Long story short I had my Right Testicle removed for a set of Leydig Cell Tumors. I recover over the next few weeks and am forwarded to a Pain Doctor.

At the pain doctor I am prescribed the above listed drugs. My real question and point is what are these drugs doing to me and others on the long term? I know I am addicted and dependent on the drugs. I am more concerned on what the off label consequences are. What is it doing to my chemical balance in my Brain, organs, and other body parts. I wake up some mornings, if I take my meds too early, in withdrawal like symptoms. It hurts. My body craves it!

I know we have some Doctors on here, well, I assume we do? Thanks in advance guys and this site has never failed me to date! Let's hash this out and also maybe get some other experiences. Statistically there should be hundreds of other ladies and gentlemen on these drugs!

Let me tell you friend.. unless you knew when you started taking oxycontin that you intended to take it for life you shouldn't have started. I started them long ago, am cleaned up in a sense now but will fight those cravings forever. A doctor once told me he'd just assume kill me as prescribe me to it. It's basically big pharma's heroin. Seriously people who have abused heroin and oxy's both know it's nearly identical. If you decide to get cleaned up off of it there is a drug called suboxone. It will help you through the worst part of the withdrawls. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You are addicted. Not to the Motrin (which is horrible for your liver), or to the Neurontin (a relatively clean/safe drug that disrupts pain signals), but to the Oxycontin. Pain medications with a morphine basis cause physical addiction. When the medication in your system becomes low, your body's reaction is to go into a type of withdrawal until you obtain more. Physical withdrawal would include sweating, shaking, aching, headache, an inability to sleep. You can also be psychologically addicted, and simply crave the drug. However, when you become physically addicted, you have an issue. Depending on how long you have been on the drug, the best thing is to slowly titrate off of the drug. Start dividing the drug, and over a month slowly go down in dose until you can quit relatively comfortably.

I would like to say with opiates this doesn't really work. Once you have built up your tolerance there isn't much chance for weening down. If you don't have enough to even you out you will be sick. It's pretty much cold turkey (if you succumb to a craving you pretty much reset this process) or an alternative drug like suboxone or methadone. I would suggest suboxone a million times over methadone. They are not similar at all just two different options.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Hi,

so sorry about your pain and discomfort. As a nurse, I can tell you stopping oxycontin without a doctors help is extremely dangerous and can even be deadly. The best way to come off the oxy is to have a doc. wean you off very slowly. To do this safely it will probably take almost a year.

The Neurontin has several different uses. In your case it is being used to treat neurogenic pain.

As far as a natural pain reliever, I am at a loss. Acupuncture has been successful though in helping control the pain.

Best of luck to you,
Pax

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'm being treated for severe rheumatoid arthritis and also other form of arthritis. It seems i have run the gamut of pain killers. I have just switched to a new one called Exalgo which is a extended release Dilaudid. Before that it was 20 a day, 10 milligram tablets, of Methadone. 6000 mil a month. I had the 80 milligram Oxycontin, 4 times a day. I have screws in my back. I had reconstruction surgery because of a coal mining accident, [roof fall] about 20 yrs ago so I think that is the root cause of the arthritis. The symptoms of long term use are: constant dry mouth, constipation, low libido [boy will THAT piss your wife off] no appetite, constant blood shot eyes and various other fun stuff. Would I give them up? No. I STILL have severe pain in spite of all the drugs. The point is this: How bad is the pain? If you think alternative medicine may help, try it. I have and went right back to the drugs. Alternatives are not meant to control pain this severe, but you never know till you at least try it. The drugs may have long term effects but if nothing else works, what choice is there?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I would like to say with opiates this doesn't really work. Once you have built up your tolerance there isn't much chance for weening down. If you don't have enough to even you out you will be sick. It's pretty much cold turkey (if you succumb to a craving you pretty much reset this process) or an alternative drug like suboxone or methadone. I would suggest suboxone a million times over methadone. They are not similar at all just two different options.

I agree, methadone is a nightmare to detox from. It's given to herion addicts to help them wean from it, then they have to wean from that. Stay away unless you have tried absolutely everything else.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus
Hi,

so sorry about your pain and discomfort. As a nurse, I can tell you stopping oxycontin without a doctors help is extremely dangerous and can even be deadly. The best way to come off the oxy is to have a doc. wean you off very slowly. To do this safely it will probably take almost a year.

The Neurontin has several different uses. In your case it is being used to treat neurogenic pain.

As far as a natural pain reliever, I am at a loss. Acupuncture has been successful though in helping control the pain.

Best of luck to you,
Pax

Not to knock you, but quitting oxycontin isn't going to kill anyone. You are gonna feel like garbage, have diarrhea, back pain, no sleep, sweating, sneezing, misery, but no death or real danger. Weaning wont really work because your body is still relying on it, so every time you don't get the full dose you are making yourself sick and still introducing enough to prolong withdrawals. All weaning does is make you sick for a much longer time. Suboxone is the way to go.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Just a clarification. As a nurse who has spent years working with trauma patients, I will tell you that a person who is suffering severe pain and taking narcotics does not receive the high that a person who is taking narcotics for the hell of it does.

You should go easy on yourself. Do not listen to the people telling you you are a drug addict and "shame on you". It is impossible to heal and function when you are in severe pain.

Just curious, who said you needed to stop the Oxycontin? Did you decide this or your doctor. If it was your doctor, he certainly understands withdrawl symptoms and would never stop you cold turkey. There are also rapid detox clinics, that are very safe and effective. I'm sure he is aware of these. Trust him and talk to him about your concerns.

I sense a lot of false guilt coming from you, and there is no need. You did not plan to become dependent on this drug. Millions are suffering the same fate as you right now. Relax, there is help available, just no quick fix.

Just a note, most narcotics are classified as opiates which are synthetic heroin. Do not lose hope you are going to be okay.

Praying for you,
Pax

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Everybody is essentially a drug addict, we are pushed medications, alcohol, and of course coffee and soft drinks. All of them are physically addictive, and we all actually have a real physical dependence on one or several substances, if you have ever drank coffee, or had a beer or a glass of wine, for more than 3 days in a row, say two coffees every morning, you are a drug addict. Plain and simple, and coffee shops, doctors, bars and restaurants are constantly pushing these substances.

We are all essentially drug addicts and being controlled. You must remember this.

I wouldn't trust a doctor's advice one bit.

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Not to knock you, but quitting Oxycontin isn't going to kill anyone.

Actually it can be deadly. The withdrawal can cause panic attacks that can increase your BP and cause a heart attack. It can also cause seizures in certain people. (which can kill too, if they choke to death).

ALWAYS taper off any hard pain med.. its a shock to your system.. The pain you feel coming off them, and restless leg/arm symptoms are basically your nerves waking back up.

For those with chronic pain that is 24/7, and will have it the rest of their lives, addiction is irrelevant. As long as you don't abuse your dosages, being addicted to it is a moot point. Just make sure you get liver/kidney tests every 6-8 Months.
edit on 10/24/2010 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join