It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chavez: Venezuela 'Needs Nuclear Energy Program and is Studying Now'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Monday that his government is carrying out initial studies into starting a nuclear energy program.

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said Monday that his government is carrying out initial studies into starting a nuclear energy program. Chavez brought up the issue during a news conference, saying the South American country needs an atomic energy program.

"We're taking on the project of nuclear energy for peaceful purposes, and they aren't going to stop us," Chavez said. "We need it and we're carrying out the first studies."

Chavez is a close ally of Iran and has defended the Iranian nuclear program, saying he is sure Iran is not making atomic weapons in spite of U.S. and European suspicions.

Close ally with Iran? Oh cool, then I'm sure he'll get all the help he needs in how to survive like a peaceful sheep with the big bad wolf constantly blowing his house down.

Great I say. Sign the NPT, do the IAEA inspection thing, give Israel the middle finger, and make more money exporting your oil instead of using it internally. Reasonable plan, and Venezuela has every right to ANY nuclear program, as a sovereign nation.
I would temper that a bit with a warning about trying to acquire nukes, but just like Iran realized long ago- it is unnecessary, insanely expensive, and you just are NOT going to win a nuclear war with the US. Forget it. I don't care how many nukes you get. And proliferating them isn't too smart either- nukes can be traced. But why preach to the choir?

Chavez brought up the case as an example of some of the claims his leftist government has to contend with.

"They invent so many things," he said. "The fact they say there is no evidence doesn't mean they aren't going to find it tomorrow, or fabricate it ... that Venezuela is making an atomic bomb."

He called that idea preposterous, saying: "Who in Venezuela could take on a project of that type? Who? We aren't going to take it on."

Bingo. Fabricate. Evidence. Yup. True. Seen it before. Plenty. And it wasn't Venezuela. Or Iran.

abcnews.go.com...
edit on Sat Oct 16th 2010 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Chavez, you have to love that guy. He is always doing something that makes Washington mad.

He has every right to persue peacefuly nuclear energy.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I agree with the first two OP, for any fellow Venezuela Watchers out there, this may be of interest, its pretty half-cool but the translator they used wasn't the best.

To be honest tho, I wish the world wasn't moving nuclear, until we get fusion down, or a way to have 0% waste.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I thought they were already a signatory to the NPT treaty. Only 6 countries are not. Agreed, nuclear Energy is fine and they have a right to it. If his policies didn't create massive inflation and energy shortages they might not need the nuke plants, but whatever works.

I am assuming from the video link he is referencing America's involvement in some countries on his borders?
edit on 16-10-2010 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yes, that's true... most of the time he says things on interviews to make Washington mad... things that ar not even really in plans... he tell some things just for fun ;-)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Nice!

U.S. is looking hella(yeah hella... wanna fight about it?) bad lately in the international community.

I have maintained that one of the only reasons Iran pushes for nuclear power, is to show the world how big of a bully the U.S. is.

Looks like Chavez is joining the fight.

But there are those that succumb to the propaganda and call Chavez and Ahmadinejad crazy. Those people are ignorant.

There is absolutely NO reason for either of these countries to develop weapons... it is totally not in their interest.

What is in their interest, is developing their own countries and industries towards a better tomorrow for their people.

U.S. dominance is gone... sadly the dollar is going as well.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I don't wanna hijack the thread, but it is about all kinds of stuff, its 50mins long, lulz.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I don't really think Venezuela is ever going to build any nuclear weapons... it would take too long

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by loveseeker

Good job spinning this into a nuclear weapon thing. It really is the true american thing to do.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
Good job spinning this into a nuclear weapon thing. It really is the true american thing to do.

Hmm, I thought that was the FALSE American thing to do? Phantom Iraq WMD's ring any bells?

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well, that was pretty quick, to go from "Studying This Now" to inking a deal with the Russians to build the first nuclear reactor there. Hmm, I wonder what is up with that?

U.S. Said to Trust Russia in Atomic Deal With Venezuela
Monday, Oct. 18, 2010

The United States intends to "watch very closely" planned Russian-Venezuelan nuclear collaboration while trusting Moscow to honor its commitments to international nuclear nonproliferation regimes, RIA Novosti reported Saturday (see GSN, Oct. 15).

Moscow and Caracas inked an agreement last week for Russia to build the South American nation's first atomic energy facility.

Responding to a reporter's question on whether the Obama administration had any worries about the atomic trade deal -- given Venezuela's warm relations with Iran -- State Department spokesman P.J. Crowley said "this is something that we will watch very closely."

Tehran is suspected in the West of using its civilian nuclear program to covertly develop a strategic capability. Iran has insisted its nuclear program has only peaceful applications. Under President Hugo Chavez, Venezuela has espoused strong anti-U.S. sentiments.

"It is certainly a right of any country to pursue civilian nuclear energy, but with that right come responsibilities and we would expect Venezuela, Russia, or any other country pursuing this kind of technology to meet all international obligations," Crowley said, continuing "the last thing we need to do is see technology migrate to countries or groups that should not have that technology."

"But we have confidence in Russia," he added (RIA Novosti, Oct. 16).

www.globalsecuritynewswire.org...

Well the obvious question that comes from this in my mind is:

If they trust Russia's nuclear plans in Venezuela, then why don't they trust Russia's nuclear plans in Iran? And namely, to fuel Bushehr's nuclear reactor?

I mean from the neocon perspective one could argue that both Ahmadinejad and Chavez are certifiably nuts. So how is it that the US would allow this so close to home, and yet bitterly oppose it on the other side of the planet?

The obvious answer: Israel.

new topics

top topics

join