It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Conspiracy Before Your Nose: A Fracking Disaster in the Making!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

"Fracking"

Hydraulic fracturing (called "frac jobs" or "frac'ing" in the oil and gas industry or recently "fracking" by some news media reports) is a process that results in the creation of fractures in rocks, the goal of which is to increase the output of an oil or gas well.

40 trillion gallons of contaminated water???

(Another fracking video.)

A Fracking Disaster in the Making: Report

The earth-shattering exploitation of deep deposits of shale rock for natural gas production has broken global records in northeast British Columbia and now threatens critical water supplies across the country, warns a new Munk School of Global Affairs report by award-winning B.C. journalist Ben Parfitt.

Earlier this year at Two Island Lake north of Fort Nelson, two corporations, Encana and Apache, blasted an estimated 5.6 million barrels worth of water along with 111 million pounds of sand and unknown chemicals to fracture apart dense formations of shale over a 100 day period, or what Parfitt calls "the world's largest natural gas extraction effort of its kind."

"Hydraulic fracturing," a brute force technology used in 90 per cent of all unconventional oil and gas well drilling, has allowed companies to exploit vast shale deposits across the continent over the last decade.

The article continues:

...the fracturing of deep rock formations with water, sand and chemicals appears to be a chaotic, non-linear process that can open fractures to freshwater formations as well as other oil and gas wells.

Widespread contamination in U.S.

Fracking chemicals or what industry calls its "secret sauce" can be highly toxic and involve hundreds of chemicals, including silicas, petroleum byproducts, potassium-based chemicals and alcohols. In the Marcellus Shale, a huge deposit stretching from New York to Tennessee, industry leaves as much as 3 million gallons of contaminated water in the ground for every well drilled.

Various U.S. regulators have demanded full disclosure on these chemicals.

More...

From a different source:

What the Frack is going on?

There is a new trend in natural gas and oil well drilling. Its called Multi-Stage Fracking (MSF) and its all the rage. Why? Because it allows for the collection of natural gas from sources that in the past could not be tapped or needed to be tapped with many wells and can now be tapped with just one long horizontal well.

While I'm impressed with the technology and its rapid development, everything I have seen shows the hazards of this reclamation technique seem poorly understood (probably intentionally) and potentially very dangerous.

So what's the problem? Well part of the problem is the fracking fluids used to make the fractures in the rock formations. They're proprietary and the drilling companies are under little to no obligation to disclose what they're pumping into the ground.

That article continues:

The 2005 Energy Policy Act exempted hydraulic fracturing from regulation under the Safe Water Drinking Act.

After Deepwater, do you have the warm and fuzzies?

Look at some of these:

See also:

The Fracking Elephant in the Room

Lawmakers must take action now on fracking

Past deadline, EPA can’t confirm companies have sent fracking info

A fracking disaster in the making, indeed.

:shk:

Here's a map that gives you sense where this is happening or likely to happen.

Source.

It's funny how the biggest conspiracies openly surround us long before they are widely acknowledged.

What a fracking mess...

edit on 18-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
For frack's sake. More dangers for us to deal with

Water is the most important natural resource, and that pic of the guy drinking sludge water was nasty, this is BC, home to some of the cleanest water in the world. Do industry elsewhere and keep our water system intact, it's not worth the money to ruin the water supply that one day might prove extremely important.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Originally posted by star in a jar
...it's not worth the money to ruin the water supply that one day might prove extremely important.

I'll remind people of this thread:

Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I watched a show about this a few months back and it really ticked me off to see these people get away with this.The thing that really upset me was when i saw halliburtan trucks. My first thought was bush/cheney exploiting the world. Im glad to see this post. when i tell people about this they seem concerned a little, then they just forget about it. like no big deal. This is a big deal and it needs to be stopped.

If we dont do something now, we will all feel its affect in the very near future. What is wrong with us? Why do the populous allow such things to happen. we live in a sad world.

Star and flag. this needs more attention than it is getting.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Literally, if we do not stop this we will be FRACKED.

Bush said, "Y'all go ahead and poison and country, just send me a cut of the profits down in Paraguay"

Nevermind the increase in demand it will create for freshwater, like it doesn't cost enough already.
$50 a gallon for water, anyone?
How can people do this?

The map looks like someone is trying to kill everyone in the rust belt and the bigger cities of the midwest.
edit on 16-10-2010 by Asktheanimals because: added comments

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I agree.

I think given the Deepwater experience, this subject requires much more consideration.

Frankly, I did not appreciate the current scale of the practice.

Did any of you?

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Another great article from today:

Eyes of natural gas industry on Pa

The gas riches of the vast Marcellus Shale — which underlies Pennsylvania, New York, West Virginia and part of Ohio — have attracted a rush of drillers and related operations to the region in the last two years. Tens of thousands of acres of Pennsylvania land have been leased and thousands of wells have been drilled.

Some geologists estimate the Marcellus contains 500 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, of which 50 trillion cubic feet might be recoverable by hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking" — enough to supply the entire East Coast for 50 years. Those vast gas riches are attractive because they're so close to major markets in the Northeast.

"The Marcellus is so big, so new and happening so fast," said conference presenter Bobby Huffman, project director for Houston-based Spectra Energy Transmission, a major natural gas infrastructure company. "I would say the rest of the industry is watching it because the potential for the ultimate amount of gas production is so big in Pennsylvania."

It, of course, confirms:

The fracking process is currently exempt from regulation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency; EPA is considering how to structure a study requested by Congress, where bills are pending that would reverse the exemption and give the EPA regulatory oversight.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I see from the map that this fracking practice occurs near rivers and lakes.

If this mining practice causes some sort of fracture disaster like, say, the GOM gusher- for example fracking opens up a conduit to some deep earth oil conduit, then potentially the great lakes could be ruined.

Too close for comfort, but as long as profit is put before safety, it won't be a question of if but when.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Another great thread, my friend.

I too had no idea that this was being done so much. It was just earlier this year that I first heard about it in connection with the quake down in Mexico. I knew there was discussion of developing it here in the states,and hydrothermal fracking.....but man, this is crazy.

I can't help but wonder if this is related to all the new, wierd quakes over in arkansas and oklahoma. This is a pandora's box...and I am afraid it has already been opened!!!

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thank you.

I'm still trying to get my head around the numbers.

For example, one estimate I saw said the number of fracking wells in New York alone was over 13,000 wells. If each well leaves approximately 3 million gallons of contaminated waste water, that's 39 billion gallons!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Interesting.

I wonder how often this is repeated?
edit on 18-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Why this doesn't have more interest I don't know, since it poses the most critical and immediate danger to all of us right here and now. This is going on in upstate NY. That is where I am from. Nothing but shale mountains.

This is a horrible ongoing crime.
Freedom of speech we worry about.
Apparently we don't care about freedom to drink water that has not been poisoned by folks trying to blast the natural gas out of veins in the earth.

edit on 16-11-2010 by rusethorcain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Met someone on facebook also interested in this and I said I would post their link.
Course I sent them to ATS on facebook and told them to post there as well.

www.dentonrc.com...

Blasted free by millions of gallons of fresh water and chemical soup sent miles below ground, some of Earth’s baddest geological actors — radioactive elements capable of scarring soil and scourging human health — are slowly rising to the surface along with the Barnett Shale’s natural gas.

posted on Nov, 30 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Mark Ruffalo on terror advisory list

Actor Mark Ruffalo has been placed on a terror advisory list by U.S. officials after organizing screenings for a new documentary about natural gas drilling.

The "Zodiac" actor arranged showings for "GasLand" earlier this year and voiced his concerns about the practice in relation to the national water supplies.

But his efforts to raise awareness and demand a stop to natural gas drilling reportedly attracted the attention of officials from Pennsylvania's Office of Homeland Security - and he recently discovered it had landed him on a terror alert watchlist.

Exercising even mild expressions of dissent against the government is no longer safe.

So this is how it is done... How free republics die...

Good luck, everyone.

edit on 30-11-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hey loam, just ran across your thread and I am glad to see more info posted on this issue. I did another thread with some more info too, and specifically how Haliburton got sued by EPA for not disclosing chemicals involved with fracking. Here

Peace,
spec
ETA: a link from Robin Marks with some good info:coto2.wordpress.com...
edit on 8-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Thanks for this. I couldn't S & F quickly enough. Sad sad news. Besides forcing many families to uproot themselves, these guides will enable me to wander the continent based soley on what comes out of the taps.

I just heard of mysterious cancers in Clyde Ohio. There are pure springs nearby in the same state wherein I was considering relocating...the water is (was?) supposed to be artesian quality.

In 'Downhiill Racer', bob is chatting it up with Pops, and while discoursing about wanting to become a 'champion', Pops says: 'what do you want to be a champion for? World's full of champions.'

bob, eating a Ritz™, says: 'water's gone bad'.

I guess we just can't understand one another, eh? But one thing I can tell you is it's got to be clean.

I am also wondering what effect fracking has on spiritual roots, seeing as the universe is electric. There's more than meets the eye here. Anybody can make pebbles. Now, try making a rock formation. Is this manhunt for natural gas a result of 'global warming™'? It is a conspiracy of the highest order. We are 3/5 ths water, as humans. Looks like they got us, at last.

Thanks, politicians. You know who you are.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

Looks as if they already hammered the Great Lakes. It's like tossing the punchbowl, with turds in it up to the brim, into the pool, then telling us to take a dip in the pool. Probably the Great Lakes were first on the hit list.

Someone said this will affect us in the future? Yes. Like yesterday. I'm not sure if there's any going back. It makes above ground disasters seem tame by comparison. Who the FRACK gave them the right to do this? Answers, now.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Can you dig it?

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by starless and bible black
www.bbc.co.uk...

Can you dig it?

Now, in the first link, it sounds as though the UK is going against fracking. An nearly unheard of trend as of now.

Whoopsie, a few day pass and bbc manages to now sell the same idea, rather than to oppose it, and without saying the f word. FRACKING. They are calling it 'unconventional gas', and other things, so fracking concerns have caught on. Yes, we wonder about the trillions of gallons of cheap, clean water these companies inject with poison and then bury in the ground. Out of sight, out of mind? Oh, I suppose they'll royally screw us for using any other form of heat than gas. Remember the false flag globalwarming™ hoax campaign? That is why cops are called if you have a few logs burning on your property, or a party on the beach, or a survival fire in the wild, or on the street...

My guess is that the bbc sets up a negative story, and then waits for the payoffs to present it differently, just like pols do.

Just note the new tone bbc has taken: www.bbc.co.uk...

It is chief in effectiveness, this 'contradiction method' of hypnosis. It works best when the conflicting, contradictory statements come from a position of authority. The statements are supposed to be issued at a certain pace. As such, you can always pick off bbc examples of conditioning campaigns, usually within a few days. You bend a piece of metal back and forth~I care not how malleable it is, or how you try to conform to the changes~that metal will break.

edit on 20-1-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Pa. fracking blowout spews fluid onto state forest lands

Talisman Energy has resumed its Marcellus drilling operations in Pennsylvania, a week after one of the company's gas wells experienced a blowout that caused an uncontrolled discharge of sand and fracking fluids onto state forest lands in Tioga County.

As a result of the incident, Talisman shut down all of its hydraulic fracturing operations in North America while it conducted an internal investigation into the cause of the Jan. 17 blowout. Those operations have since resumed, with Talisman's Pennsylvania drilling program being the last to be brought back online.

One example of dozens I can pull over the last 90 days.

*crickets*

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join