It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists close to cracking 'sixth sense'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Science is slowly catching up with the paranormal.

The mystery behind the ''sixth sense'' - how people interact on a physiological level - is a step closer to being unravelled, according to a Sydney neuroscientist.

A five-year study monitoring brain activity during therapy sessions has shown that two people can become physiologically aligned - parts of their nervous systems beating in harmony - despite having no physical contact with each another.

Trisha Stratford, the neuropsychotherapist who did the research at University of Technology, Sydney, said her study provided a deeper understanding of what happened when people interacted, including when a couple fell in love.

Ms Stratford said her research could also provide clues about how best to communicate with or ''chat up'' a potential partner using this sixth sense, which has long been suggested but never extensively identified in science.

This is what is amazing in the findings:

''My energy impacts with you just standing there,'' she said. ''I am impacting your brain and body just by being here.''

So basically the study is saying that if you have a negative energy, you can affect those near you in a negative way. But if you have a positive energy, you can also affect those near you in a positive way. I think this is also true even if the interaction is just through the internet. Somehow, we are interconnected to each other but we are just not aware of it.

Source here: www.stuff.co.nz...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by wavemaker

Wavemaker.....

I agree this is a very interesting topic.

Unfortunately, I started this thread about it several days ago.....

The Mind Blowing Power of Love

You might find the discussion therein quite interesting.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

edit on 15-10-2010 by Maybe...maybe not because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

Wavemaker.....

I agree this is a very interesting topic.

I started this thread about it several days ago.....

The Mind Blowing Power of Love

You might the discussion therein quite interesting.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Yup, that is the same article but with a different title. I haven't read that thread yet that is why I made a new thread about this topic. I will now just let this thread die a natural death.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Before even getting into something as complex as how our brain functions we should first clearly understand quantum mechanics first.Everything that goes on in the mind is basically just caused by different quantum effects.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Couldn't this also be our bodies re-acting to minor body language? Body language impacts how people perceive you, also if you are in a bad mood usually you tend to do things not so much recklessly but not the same way you would if you were in a better mood. So it would impact also your surroundings. I'm not sure what to think about the theory that we are all connected, I just think that all of our actions effect everyone around us. Body language is the key to it all. But body language starts within yourself, I've heard this before I think in some string theory movie or something like it, everything that exists outside of you is created from within you.

But then again subjects like this always perplex me.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I am glad that science is catching up. This phenomenon is well established in the esoteric world. In fact the modus operandi of psychic attacks involves making a telepathic connection with the victim.

As the researcher says, you impact somebody's mind by just being in close proximity.

We are all aware how if you stare at someone's back for while, they will sense it and turn around. Itis all about the energy that follows your focus of attention.

It is very relevant to the UFO forum although it may not seem so .

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Wavemaker.....

I hope my post didn't sound too rude.

I suspect it might have.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

It didn't at all. It sounded very gracious.

Wavemaker, I'm glad you posted this thread. I would not have know another existed otherwise and I find this kind of thing fascinating.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by binomialtheorem
Before even getting into something as complex as how our brain functions we should first clearly understand quantum mechanics first.Everything that goes on in the mind is basically just caused by different quantum effects.

You don't say... But if we could leave quantum mechanics out of this, that would be swell. That particular science has been hijacked by every New Age jerk under the sun, because it isn't completely understood. Quantum mechanics still has a large enough margin of mystery to provide fuel for pseudo-scientific theories and buzzwords for people with a Wikipedia-level understanding of the subject.

Of course there's a connection between us - go back far enough and all matter has the same source spring. That's intuitive knowledge. I didn't need to observe electrons to reach that conclusion.
edit on 15-10-2010 by FOXMULDER147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i agree with this article, in fact i not only agree, i KNOW it's true. now, i'm not saying i'm psychic or any thing, so don't take it that way. but, when i was a bouncer, (i my much younger days), i could tell when a person was going to be a problem. it's just instinct. and as far as body language goes, i have to disagree. there were plenty of times, and still are, when someone can walk up behind me in a bar, and i can feel, without ever seeing them, whether there's going to be a fight. some people can do it, some can't.
it's like when you get home, and you can tell your spouse has had a bad day, before you ever see them, simply by the "vibe" in the house. hate to sound all hippi-ish. but...you just KNOW .. have a best friend who can finish your sentences? how about when you get a text, email, or phone call when you're having a bad day, from someone saying they just "wanted to check on you"?all these things fall into the same category.
the human body is a machine, a machine run by electrical impulses, those impulses "resonate", they seep into the things around us, whether it be our funiture, car or other things. ever notice how, if you've been depressed for an extended period, your house plants will begin to whither and die? no matter how much you water them? just the way it is.
and the sooner people start to realize this, the sooner the planet will stop hating us. weird for me to say that.. considering i'm probably the angriest person in the world.... lol

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

Wavemaker.....

I hope my post didn't sound too rude.

I suspect it might have.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

No, you said it nicely. It's just that you posted this article first (albeit in a different title) and hence I thought that it is better to continue this discussion in your thread.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I think that QM deserves a mention here. It may be a misunderstood science but full marks to those scientists who dare integrate a bit of philosophy and spirituality within science.

I see QM as a way of explaining in scientific language things such as psychology, magic and philosophy. For those with an esoteric background, QM seems to be the last runner at the finishing line. Very slow but gets there in the end.

If I tried to explain how a telepathic connection is made between two people using esoteric jargon, few would understand. Perhaps using Quantum effect terminology might help. Howevr I am not well versed in QM but I believe it is pertinent to this discussion.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

You don't say... But if we could leave quantum mechanics out of this, that would be swell. That particular science has been hijacked by every New Age jerk under the sun, because it isn't completely understood. Quantum mechanics still has a large enough margin of mystery to provide fuel for pseudo-scientific theories and buzzwords for people with a Wikipedia-level understanding of the subject.

Of course there's a connection between us - go back far enough and all matter has the same source spring. That's intuitive knowledge. I didn't need to observe electrons to reach that conclusion.

Quantum mechanics is not really all that mysterious.

The observer in quantum mechanics is anything that can collapse the quantum state, or equivalently wave function, of a quantum system.

I.e. an electron, photon, or any other particle you can think of...

It's just some people using quantum mechanics to fill their own agenda about pseudo science.It wasn't ever about humans it was about particles.

The ones who claimed that an observer meant a human were at best misunderstanding the information, or at worst deliberately misleading the reader.

link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147

Quantum mechanics is not really all that mysterious.

The observer in quantum mechanics is anything that can collapse the quantum state, or equivalently wave function, of a quantum system.

I.e. an electron, photon, or any other particle you can think of...

It's just some people using quantum mechanics to fill their own agenda about pseudo science.It wasn't ever about humans it was about particles.

The ones who claimed that an observer meant a human were at best misunderstanding the information, or at worst deliberately misleading the reader.

link   

Originally posted by Raustin
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

It didn't at all. It sounded very gracious.

Wavemaker, I'm glad you posted this thread. I would not have know another existed otherwise and I find this kind of thing fascinating.

You are welcome.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhereAreWe
Couldn't this also be our bodies re-acting to minor body language? Body language impacts how people perceive you, also if you are in a bad mood usually you tend to do things not so much recklessly but not the same way you would if you were in a better mood. So it would impact also your surroundings. I'm not sure what to think about the theory that we are all connected, I just think that all of our actions effect everyone around us. Body language is the key to it all. But body language starts within yourself, I've heard this before I think in some string theory movie or something like it, everything that exists outside of you is created from within you.

There also seems to be "tentative" evidence of a "sixth sense" in non-visual contexts (eg, long distance, phone, internet, etc.) There's a local story of a soldier who died in Afghanistan recently, and his mother supposedly knew of his death before being notified. Not sure if it's true or not, but this isn't the first I've heard of stuff like that.

I think we tend to attribute this type of stuff to the obvious explanations, but it's clear that nobody is really qualified to explain how our individual minds really work when it comes to relationships between two people.
edit on 15-10-2010 by xiphias because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xiphias

There's a local story of a soldier who died in Afghanistan recently, and his mother supposedly knew of his death before being notified. Not sure if it's true or not, but this isn't the first I've heard of stuff like that. I think we tend to attribute this type of stuff to the obvious explanations, but it's clear that nobody is really qualified to explain how our individual minds really work when it comes to relationships between two people.

Very Odd! Yes I've heard of stuff like this, but recently a friend of mine had been telling me he had been feeling really weird and "Mad, and angry but not really just sort of a weird combination of the two." just feeling bummed out I guess, which for him is odd. Sadly we found out that night that a cousin of his had been burned to death in a gasoline fire.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Life is a great web and it covers us all, if you pluck it it will reverberate out and around and eventually back to you, so everything you do has a consequence upon yourself, we are all connected you dont need quantum mechanics to tell you that you just need to search inside. Our ancestors knew this and used the knowledge daily but unfortunatly over time it has become lost and what used to be important to us has been replaced my material wants. Mabey one day before we destroy this planet and ourselves and we have no more material posessions to gain we will find this path again and use it like our ancestors did and we wont need scientists to tell us it exists.

Time=Truth

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   
not sure what it is ment by close to cracking the 6th sense.
unless there is a way to monitor a link between people.

their have been stories between identical twins sharing a link with one another.

I'm sure we all have had this link with some one.
An old friend you all of a sudden think about and then either you see them, get a call, letter, email from them,

and last but not least the cross roads encounter, driving in the middle of the night and you get to an intersection cross road, (flashing yellow) and another car is arriving at the cross road at the same time so you now both have to stop or slow down.
that one drives me crazy! I mean there is no one but the two cars to be seen and they are both arriving at the same spot! urrr!

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This material is being covered in a previous post.

Please post future comments here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.
edit on 2010/10/16 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

edit on 2010/10/17 by GradyPhilpott because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join