It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador Miners Trapped Underground Two Days After Chilean Rescue Operation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Ecuador Miners Trapped Underground Two Days After Chilean Rescue Operation

www.bloomberg.com< br />

Four miners are trapped underground in a mine in southern Ecuador after a cave-in early this morning, the South American country’s government said.

Rescue workers are trying to make contact with the miners, trapped 150 meters (492 feet) below ground, the National Risk Management Secretary said today in a statement on its website.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com
www.foxbusiness.com

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
This is too much, seems that nobody cares about safety of miners, too many accidents of this kind. Now lets hope they have the same luck than the chilean ones.

Great idea would be to send the chilean rescue team to Ecuador. I hope someone in Chile catch my suggestion.

I'm not an expert but hopely they got good chances to survive, since this time they are not too deep.

www.bloomberg.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Nobody cares about anything anymore... I just spent 3 hours on tech support with Verizon because they suck....

Not to mention Microsoft ... Apple... HP... and any big names of things which should work

It doesn't surprise me that more people are trapped

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Maybe we should build robots to do our mining for us.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

Great point but that would make to much sense. They can repair an oil pipe a mile underwater but they can't use the same tech underground in these mines? You could still have miners, except their aboveground with computers to control the 'bots.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

Humans are cheaper ... and more expendable.

There is another thread about an underground explosion in a mine in China. I wonder if all this underground instability is a sign of something bigger than just callous corruption; like global earth changes??

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Unfortunately you are only hearing about Ecuador and China because of the big deal about the rescue in Chile. This has always gone on. Genreally nobody cares.

People with money have no idea what is going on behind the scenes to let them live the way they do. The conditions people live in to provide your products. Look what happened in Hungary with the dam of toxic sludge. People working in factories making IPADS hanging themselves.Look how some of the big coporations source their material. So much of what you own today is made in china. The yong people move to factory towns where they live in the factories all year round and only get home to families once a year. Recycling. Don't make me laugh. Look what is happening to most of the plastic bottles you put in the recyle bin. Research how all the waste you are producing is diposed of.

The whole planet has reached a tipping point and it so much out of balance I don't think we can pull it back.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by quantum_flux

They have in a sense.
They use humans.
They profit from others blood sweat and tears.

Same goes for wars too. Nations go to war yet the ones that sit at the reigns don't get their hands dirty.
Maybe those that hold the reigns should lead by example.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

I do not think the problem is that we do not know so much as we are not told. News in many countries is either not news here because of something else (November elections this time) or much of the time the other country does not report it to anyone (China).

In the U.S. you hear about problems with mine collapses only if there are people involved and they have not been immediately rescued. I am not saying we are any better or care more but I wonder how many in other countries hear about each of our mine incidents.

Other than that you are pretty much right about people and the planet. In my opinion everything is screwed. The planet though can heal; mankind can never truly destroy nature. It is arrogant to think otherwise, nature is a far more powerful force than man ever will be. The worst of it all is the hearts of man. That will not get better on its own.

My prayers these miners are found and brought out alive as well.

Raist

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
After the events in Copiapo you might assume that mining practices would be reviewed on a continental basis, but what we have to understand is that Chile and Ecuador, are not linked, nor controled on a governmental level, from the same source.
You might assume that even so, Ecuadors leadership might instigate thier own investigation into thier mining procedures and legislature. However, that would require a different set of priorities , than those shown by governments in general. The priority, is continuing to do things as cheaply as possible, until you get caught out, because it costs less money, and the longer you get away with it, the better the value is. That is the mentality that runs the mining sector in those nations in which one could get away with having such attitudes.
What happened in Copiapo was a glorious rescue, and a moment around which the entire news watching world gathered in hope. But the rescue of those miners should never have been a consideration, because the accident which caused thier encapsulation in the bosom of the earth, should never have happened. The mining minister, the president, and the miners families have all been shouting about getting the laws changed in Chile to prevent further risk to human life, and to improve the health and saftey of persons at work throughout the entire infrastructure of the nation. However, if the existing laws had been heeded, and if those laws had been tougher, the incident which lead to the collapse of the exit tunnel might never have happened, and the only reason it did, is because someone wanted more cash in thier pocket than they had any right to .
So in actual fact, all the collapse in Chile did, was highlight a problem with general health and saftey practices in Chile, and of course, provided such stunning reportage and coverage by the news teams of the entire worlds media. It should not then, be suprising that Ecuador suffers similar health and saftey complaints , and that a similar attitude to health and saftey seems to prevail there. The laws in Ecuador are written in such a way , as to allow profit from inhumane treatment of the workforce, to continue until , and in some cases after a serious breach of existing health and saftey law, and this is a repeating issue, echoing all over the Latin nations, and the third world as well.
We will always say "this could have been prevented" and "Why were no lessons learned the last time this happened?" but we are fooling ourselves in asking a question, the answer to which is all to obvious, an answer we all know, but hate to accept as reality. These things happen, because someone, somewhere in the chain of events which lead to whatever disasterous incident, didnt give a crap about human life, or prioritised money over and above the preservation of life. We find this difficult to accept , not because the mere fact of it is horrific to contemplate, but because the solution is so impossible. We know in our hearts that the only way to prevent people making choices which endanger people , is to prevent moraly retarded people from gaining power, and we also know just how big, and how near on impossible that job actualy is. That is why we throw our heads back and scream at the sky when foolishness leads to tragedy, that is why we weep when lessons go unlearned.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

The planet though can heal; mankind can never truly destroy nature. It is arrogant to think otherwise, nature is a far more powerful force than man ever will be. The worst of it all is the hearts of man. That will not get better on its own.

Raist

Sorry, you are exactly right. Its the human race that is ultimately failing. The planet will heal fine once it gets rid of the cancer that we are on it.

Funny isn't it.

EARTH - Take the H at the end, put it to the front HEART.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am farily vocal in my criticism of police. As well, I am fairly vocal about non-violence.

But this seems a lot more like a WWE beat down than a real violent attack. No, it is not right to terrorize a 13 year old. But i would hardly call that a "violent assault" by any stretch.

It was a performance that seems to be fit for wrestling.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by quantum_flux

My friend, you are being far too logical. LOL Logic doesn't work when finance is involved, unless you consider the financial desires.

Humans can be raised as "free range slaves" whereby they are left to fend for themselves, but still will show up to complete their work (and add to the GDP). Robots requires stuff like manufacturing and repair. In humans, manufacturing is almost something that you have to curb because we seem to really, really like manufacturing more humans.
And repair takes care of itself, for the most part (and if it doesn't, then you just manufacture more humans).

From a governmental and financial standpoint, the desire is to keep humans doing as much work as possible, unless you have an environment like manufacturing, where the machines have minimal repair due to minimal risk damage.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   

That is actually pretty good. For some reason I have never noticed that.

Odd how some times the smallest things get past us.

Raist

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
I am farily vocal in my criticism of police. As well, I am fairly vocal about non-violence.

But this seems a lot more like a WWE beat down than a real violent attack. No, it is not right to terrorize a 13 year old. But i would hardly call that a "violent assault" by any stretch.

It was a performance that seems to be fit for wrestling.

How did this post end up in this thread? I posted it in reply to the 13 year old in Paraguay that got beat up by a cop.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Didn't turn out as good for these poor guys...

new topics

top topics

join