It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Enlightenment = Hippie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Hello all. Just a little change I have been experiencing, and wonder your opinion, and/or similar experience.

I've been spiritual since 2001. Ups, downs, struggles, learning, relapses of negativity (lazy, selfish, ego), and finding peace in different sources. My spiritual struggle has not at all been continuous, sometimes taking a back seat to indulge impulse. But each time I brush myself off, I learn a whole new chapter about myself and life.

My current spiritual path is leading me somewhere I've never been before. I'm starting to look at all of what I can perceive with a newly found sense of appreciation.

I'm interconnected [one] with all that I perceive. I look at a tree as a piece of the same creation that I was cut from. I ponder the tree and look to it as a friend. When the rain falls, I enjoy it, I appreciate it, I experience it instead of running from it. I watch clouds drift in the sky and become mesmerized by their journey. I look to all living things and try to understand existence from their awareness. I look to the world and cosmos with awe at it's perfection and beauty.

I see others as I see myself. Not exactly like they are me, but more like.. I understand them as my equal, a manifestation of my potential in positive and negative aspects as a fellow human-being, my brother, my sister, my shared conscious experience. They are my equal, just here to experience existence in ways I do not, and vice versa. We are the same. We come from the same source, made of the same materials. Equal pieces to a greater whole.

I'm not "seeing" things in any "special" way. The entire existence still looks the same and is the same, but I just feel different inside about things. Nothing really magical, supernatural, or weird. Just my outlook has changed due to my inner change.

Is this normal to experience on the path to enlightenment and/or spirituality? To transform into a tree-hugging hippie (minus the psychedelic drugs and group sex xD ). Is this going to be just another period of change in life, or is this feeling due to discovering truth?

*[I mean no ill will or offense to tree-huggers and/or hippies. Peace!]

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
my first thought...yea..he must be high

my second thought .. if everyone would be like this..the world would be a better place i think

regards
edit on 15-10-2010 by angrydog because: bad english cause im just a kraut

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi
Is this normal to experience on the path to enlightenment and/or spirituality? To transform into a tree-hugging hippie (minus the psychedelic drugs and group sex xD ). Is this going to be just another period of change in life, or is this feeling due to discovering truth?

Of course none of us have your answers, only you, do. But what you have described sounds very much like what I feel and believe. And I've felt that way for many years. Of course, I am also a self-described hippie.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
We are moving toward a new dimension. More are awakening to the Truth, that we are ONE.reply to post by Sahabi

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
When did knowledge of self and everything around you become so abhorred and resented.

I know when, when everyone's ego became what they knew and everything they knew became their ego.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Re Sahabi

Quite common amongst those, who have found a functional way to 'enlightenment'. As you don't say which method(s) you follow in general, it's difficult to guess, if the experiences you describe is an expected part of a specific direction or something very individual for you.

A personal comment from me: I don't believe, it's the end-station you've arrived at. While it's very tempting to wallow in the undeniable beauty, love and peace in that state, it can also become a kind of spiritual addiction preventing the seeker from finding even more 'enlightened' states beyond it.

The traditions around it are quite clear in some asian schools and a few western systems.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
The ego is a vessel which cannot contain the all. The ONE fills an infinate number of such vessels as well as the table they rest upon and the room and dwelling and land and planet and galaxy and all there is and more...reply to post by Socratic Method

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Tis good to hear of those that speak of connectedness to all living things, for I believe that spawns some empathy and then goes further to affect our decision making sometimes, to include how others are/may be affected. We are much more dependent on the Earth than she is of us, so feeling more connected to her generates more of a sense of responsibility for the inhabitants, because, as you mentioned, what we do and don't do has wider range of affects than most realize.
Enlightenment, usually includes some type of connectedness to someone or something, and leaves an afterprint of enchantment and gratitude. Sometimes a newfound pride arises from this "being a part of" notion, and our actions change as a result.

I moved to Oregon because I wanted to be with the hippies. They were the only slice of culture I could relate to in terms of applying and discussing the expanded awareness I had gained though my curious endeavors. They love the Earth, they are conscientious about their actions, they cultivate creativity and they are less judgmental. Of course there is good and bad in all slices of culture, and I eventually moved out of pure "hippidom" to a more balanced stance. I would certainly say I am "hippyish" though, but not a purist. Yes I hug a tree every now and then, and I have plenty of tie-dyes I wear, but I am me, not any specific type, more of a little of this and that. That being said, I don't think there is anything wrong with committing to a particular set of values or group either, it is what makes us human. Just always leave a little room for growth.
I am part hippie, redneck, headbanger, athlete, liberal, conservative, artist and nerd.

So just because one feels certain attributes of an established culture, does not mean that becomes their totality, we are much more complex than that. However, a general shift in one's behavior and outlook can be a good thing and if it comes from the heart, run with it.

I think what it comes down to is more love in your heart from the understanding of our place in this world, which entails more compassion and tolerance, something that imo the world can always use more of. I am reminded of a Native American stance that we are the guardians of this planet, and not the owners. I feel much better being a part of our world rather than being separate and maintaing a dominion over it.

Peace,
spec

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

I'm not following any exact methodology. I spent some periods as a practicing Buddhist, Christian, and Muslim. Found inner peace with each religion. Spent some time with eastern and western phosophical thought... took a little time looking into Metaphysics and New Age ideas... read some articles and short stories. Kind of picking up some aspects of everything, as long as it feels positive. I've felt inner peace, but this feeling of unity and beauty is new to me.

If I must explain my current ideology... I've been trying to guard my thoughts, words, and actions. Most importantly my thoughts, because I've realized once I create a more positive line of thinking, it's easier to project positive words and actions. Anytime negative emotions or thoughts manifest, I consciously counter it with understanding, love, patience, and compassion.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by angrydog
my first thought...yea..he must be high

my second thought .. if everyone would be like this..the world would be a better place i think

regards
edit on 15-10-2010 by angrydog because: bad english cause im just a kraut

Thanks bro! Such a compliment like that makes me feel like I am going in the right direction. May Peace be with you

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with being a hippie, except for maybe the smell...

top topics

join