It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TPS teacher who watched Obama sign bill is laid off

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

TPS teacher who watched Obama sign bill is laid off

www.toledoblade.com

As Toledo Public Schools teacher Amanda VanNess stood in the Oval Office and watched President Obama sign an education stimulus bill, she already knew she'd lost her teaching job back home to budget cuts and low seniority.

The $26 billion stimulus bill, designed to save 160,000 teacher and other government jobs across the nation, couldn't save her position at Pickett Elementary.

In fact, Ms. VanNess has been laid off twice from TPS this year.

TPS hasn't spent a dollar of the $7.6 million in teacher rehire money it received from the Aug. 10 bill, opting instead to save i
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
What good is stimulus money if the recipients don't spend in the way it was intended?

Instead of rehiring laid off teachers, which is what the this bill was designed to do, the Toledo Public Schools are opting to save it for next year to retain non-teaching jobs.

The $20 billion education stimulius bill was pushed through Congress to save 160,000 teacher and other government jobs across the nation over the next 2 years.

$20 billion / 160,000 = $125,000 over the next 2 years. A pretty good salary considering the economic situation of the rest of the nation.

There needs to be an investigation of those in control of the money that's recieved. Something is not right when $ billions and $ billions are pumped into the economy and the situation is only getting worse.

www.toledoblade.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

this is gross, as higher budgets pass more teachers are left unemployed hmm this is while everyone in the central offices get raises.

this is not the only instance where government money is "vanishing"

take for instance money being used for reconstruction in afghanistan, the construction companies are being extorted by the taliban in order to complete their tasks.

maybe there is connection maybe the taliban is extorting school treasures in order for the kids to get an education if thats the case i am all for it in fact give them more money i would not want to see a child not get educated just cause someone did not want to grease a wheel.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Stimulus money is for the most part only good for going into the pockets of many.

Sure a small portion of stimulus money has helped (there has been a large amount of much needed DOT labor going on this year), mostly though it makes a certain group richer.

I wonder what was really going through her mind as this was done knowing she would still be screwed in the end?

Raist

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by co_creator

What the sad part about the whole situation is that the Democrats will sell us their stimulus packages as working while reports of abuse continues to grow with each day and job creation is not to be seen, considering the amount of funds being dropped into the economy.

I really surprised that there isn't a probe into where all the money is going, especially when the Democrats are loosing support public and likely to lose control of Congress in a few weeks. What I'm trying to say is if the Dems wanted to show Americans they were trying to do something to turn things around in the United States, they would be launching investigation after investigation into these matters.

What it really looks like is that they're the ones behind this scam, and they're covering it up, for their own benefit.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Unless a stimulus bill puts money directly into my bank account, it's wasted. Any questions?

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
well what to say here...................

im getting tired of my money going to a state for which i do not live in................
im getting tired of my money going to a school i will never goto moreover never send my child to
im getting tired of my money going to a road and a stop sign that i will never see or travel...........

the us government is the honey pot for which all have their hands out for but do they really deserve it?

if that teacher and other teachers truly wanted to save their jobs why didnt they all take a pay cut......or work part time....................oh i see they want full time pay when they only work part time hours...........the teachers are greedy their unions are greedy and they are above reproach and sacrifice..................

the stimulus did not come anywhere close to doing what it was designed to the only thing it did was line the pockets of the elists and left the average john and jane fend for themselves..............and alas now she doesnt have a job.....................cant say i feel sorry for her cause i really dont...........states are in the state they are in of their own making their own greed and their own lust for control..............big state government needs to do what all successful businesses do cut costs anyway they can and resize and redistrict etc.........

meh..............im a cold hearted dude so.............if that state government or local government cant see the logic in being self sustaining then it deserves to fail......
edit on 15-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
Stimulus money is for the most part only good for going into the pockets of many.

Sure a small portion of stimulus money has helped (there has been a large amount of much needed DOT labor going on this year), mostly though it makes a certain group richer.

I wonder what was really going through her mind as this was done knowing she would still be screwed in the end?

Raist

The point is that money is spent... I don't really care how.... Just spend it....

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I am all for spending tax money on useful things. If it is going into the pockets to make certain people rich that is not going to help those it is promising to help.

Do we really need bridges where one is not needed? Do we really need to make up jobs when we could just get to work filling jobs that are available and getting America back to where it once was?

Money being spent in a nonproductive way will do nothing.

Raist

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raist

I am all for spending tax money on useful things. If it is going into the pockets to make certain people rich that is not going to help those it is promising to help.

Do we really need bridges where one is not needed? Do we really need to make up jobs when we could just get to work filling jobs that are available and getting America back to where it once was?

Money being spent in a nonproductive way will do nothing.

Raist

Oh i agree, if we had a focus like the eye of sauron, this would be great. But the fact is, that simply putting money in peoples pockets is good enough for the economy... All that other stuff that comes with specifics is only that much more benefit... And i agree, it would be great to have that kind of link between intent and actuality, i just don't think it's as important as the macro effects....

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
if that teacher and other teachers truly wanted to save their jobs why didnt they all take a pay cut......or work part time....................oh i see they want full time pay when they only work part time hours...........the teachers are greedy their unions are greedy and they are above reproach and sacrifice..................

IMHO, teachers have the most underrated jobs of anyone that has to come into contact with the general public. While a majority of government employees come into contact with the adult population, teachers have to deal with smart-mouthed, disrespectful and sometimes violent individuals. The real problem that we face is not how the teachers are handling their jobs. It's the disciplinary actions that's not allowed because of lawsuits and existing laws that limit teachers of what they can do.

I'll admit that there may be some abuse by teachers a times, but the abusive behavior that the students inflict on teachers outweigh the laws that stop teachers from administering discpline to problem students.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

well man the teachers world is one that they made.........................the liberal mindset is the root cause of it all

back in the day when kids got into trouble there was the paddle......and detention etc...............todays world you cant touch them in anyway shape or form................for fear of lawsuits.................i still have no sympathy for them.

words alone cannot reach some people..........that is a fact.........

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I have started to notice there are little to no macro effects of putting money in certain individuals pockets continuing to make them only richer.

I have noticed that the small percentage that are already rich are growing richer while the rest grow poorer. Now I am not a person that is against the rich or those who are prosperous. I am opposed to money that is taken out of the poor’s pockets only to make the rich richer.

I have had enough of the bailout system that give big cooperations, big banks, and all those who have done nothing but steal a free ride on the backs of the American worker.

If nothing productive is coming from the money being spent it is not going to help the economy.

Raist

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

well man the teachers world is one that they made.........................the liberal mindset is the root cause of it all

You got it half right. The liberals tied the teachers hands to what they can do about discipline.

back in the day when kids got into trouble there was the paddle......and detention etc...............todays world you cant touch them in anyway shape or form................for fear of lawsuits.................i still have no sympathy for them.

If it weren't for teachers, good teachers, efforts, this world would be in terrible shape.

words alone cannot reach some people..........that is a fact.........

It's because some people refuse to be taught. These are the same ones that end up in prison or making society tougher for the rest of us, e.g. welfare recipients.

EDIT: Threw you a star. Made some good points.
edit on 16/10/10 by Intelearthling because: Add to post.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

what does that have to do with teachers? re you saying teachers invented lawsuits?

Man, talk about picking on the little guy.

edit on 16-10-2010 by justadood because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join