It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory's on the speed of light and light speed travel and other stuff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Right, now I am really posting this to see if this is scientifically sound haha. I am not a scientist and have barely any knowledge what so ever on the subject except for the small layer I skim off the top- I rarely did any deeper than that. That said I have come up with a few interesting Ideas and I would like to know if they are possible. Granted, the're all very theoretical and probably ridiculous but i would like to know if these make any sense!

The skyunce.

Things you will need...

to defy Einstein and his pesky laws
1 rather large ship capable of travelling faster than the speed of light (say 2x TSoL(The Speed of Light))
1 enormously awesome and powerful telescope
A vast open space (for instance, Space)

Right, so you start off at point A) in space (which for the sake of this experiment will be Earth). You boot up your whatever-there-called's and get your soopah anti g force drive up and running. You then fly at 2xTSoL until you get to point B). At this time you get out of your armchair (or another kind of furniture. Barstool, Swivel Chair.etc- it's not important) and then go to your awesome telescope and look back onto point A). Now in theory you will see a year into the past meaning you will be able to see yourself there by the planet Eerf getting ready to scoot.

But then what? now this part confuses me... say you kept on observing what would you see when the past you hit the light-speed x2? Would you see nothing or would you be able to observe yourself getting closer until the past light you hits the current light you?? it's all very confusing.

another confusing thing as well is what would happen if say you were an observer on A) and this ship was 4 Light Years away. This ship travels to the point A) at 5xTSoL therefore the ship is getting there 1 year faster than its light from its starting point does. Now say it travelled at 4xTSoL it would get to it's destination immediately, but its not travelling at 4xTSoL is it, it's travelling at 5xTSoL so does that mean it would appear in the past? would the people of earth see it a year in the past? or would it just spontaneously combust because its just to awesome at flying fast? O_o I have no idea but hopefully someone can help me haha.

Another theory was on another way to figure out the age of the universe, bit stupid this one but i thought I'd put it in anyway

soo the universe is supposedly 13.73 billion years old. Not very old I hear you cry! well, I'm afraid you are clearly insane and need to eat more fresh vegetables, it's pretty darn old. But are we SURE it's that old? Like, is it for definite? well, I have a method to check haha. Just look into the vastness of space, say home in on an object 13.3 billion LY away with your awesome telescope (so this light wee seeing is when the universe was only 400 million years old) then look deeper into the space next to it and if there is nothing deeper into space than that then thumbs up science community, you win at guessing the age of the universe... this time.

Also that could be the reason we havent seen any "spaceships" or anything out there, because we are viewing these stars and nova from like billions of years ago when in reality probably most of these planets and star systems now do harbour life if evolution prevails.

Anyway, there are my ramblings, let me know what you think

CT
edit on 15/10/2010 by constant_thought because: because I wrote a bit wrong, I am human after all...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
To defy Einstein and his pesky laws you need:

1) A rather large ship capable of defying Einstein's pesky laws
2) ???
3) Profit

edit on 15-10-2010 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Unless Im reading this wrong.

How would you be able to look back and see your light if you are moving away from it at 2X the SOL?

13.73 Billion years is very young considering the Universe can essentially last a Google years before most everything is gone.

edit on 15-10-2010 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by constant_thought

I like it, but I think if anything your paradoxes probably demonstrate that Einstein was right.

I always thought it would be cool to travel quickly to 2000 light-years away with a super-awesome telescope and see up close and personal what exactly was going on in Israel in those days.

As for the age of the universe, I'm not sure if we have telescopes powerful enough to see anything that far away. As I understand it it's calculated based on the observed rate at which other galaxies are moving away from ours. From there astronomers could calculate that in the past they were all converged at one point.

edit on 15-10-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Very good point, I hadn't thought of that haha

O wait, wouldn't your "light" from when you were at point A still take a year to travel a LY so you would be able to observe it from point B? I suppose if your travelling faster than the speed of light you probably cant give of light anyway so you'd probably be invisable haha my logic is screwed

CT

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

yea it is all very theoretical, you just have to assume there is all of these technologies available and we are in the distant future. I did know about the actual way they found the age of the universe but I stumbled across my way when i was thinking about space and what not the other day haha! come to think about it the universe is probably alot bigger than we think anyway because if it is constantly expanding and we are seeing the majority of the universe as snap shots from the past then its could actually be alot bigger and older than we think?

i think im rambling again hahaha

CT

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

you don't have to believe anything your told. sure , Albert was a genuis, but did he ever travel at light speed? no.

why do you think you would need a spaceship to travel at light speed.

constant thought is not healthy.

peace

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Actually you don't need Einstein to see that it is not possible to travel faster than light.

Matter is made of atoms, a nucleus and electrons. Interactions between the nucleus and electons are electromagnetic. Changes in the electromagnetic field propagate at speed of light. This is why we have light at all. But it also means there is no way to accelerate matter to speed of light. The electrons would not be able to catch up with the nucleus and vice versa.

To avoid this you would have to mess with the spacetime, would need Einstein.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Yeah sorry someone was talking to me when I read your post the first time. I didn't see that you actually stop at point B. In that case I would assume you would see your ship growing brighter over the course of the year until it simply disappeared at once upon the last photons reaching your eye

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
so, if you went from a--->b then back a

top topics

join