It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Mars? Buzz Aldrin Wants a Lunar Base First

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I understand that Maslo. Long before there could be any scientific colony the first few missions would be very brief explorations collecting samples and then dashing back.

It still makes sense to develop experience in supporting a base on the Moon close enough for a dash to safety should all go wrong. The Moon also has much of the material needed for a long mission to mars including water and Helium 3 for rocket fuel.

Mining these materials from the Moon is far more affordable than launching it from the earth's surface.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
They say you have to learn to walk before you can run. I think a lunar base would be the place we need to learn to walk before we run. A lunar base is the best place to take those first baby steps that will eventually work us up to the run we need for Mars. Maybe the ET's on the dark side of the moon ave agreed to let us come and play in their backyard and will let us work with them to help us get to Mars. I don't know but it could be possible you know.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo
reply to post by Aeons

When I am talking about colonisation of Mars and other places in the solar system, I do not mean that people will live there like they do on Earth. I mean colonies of mostly scientists and engineers, maybe self-sufficient in basic needs like water, fuel and food, but still very dependent on Earth. And it will indeed be an expensive money sink, because there is nothing in space that we do not have on Earth to export, except space tourism. Think about the ISS or isolated research stations in polar regions, thats my idea of realistic colonisation.

Space Tourism?!?

There is literally an infinite amount of resources. Which Earth does not have.

Space Tourism is the LEAST important thing this system has to offer us.

This system is teeming with primary resources, which will be the basis of primary industry.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Space Tourism?!? There is literally an infinite amount of resources. Which Earth does not have. Space Tourism is the LEAST important thing this system has to offer us. This system is teeming with primary resources, which will be the basis of primary industry.

What resources are there which Earth does not have? I am not even talking about the cost to mine and import them from space, which would be prohibitive.

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
All things are prohibitive when you don't have the engineering or technological innovation yet.

For example, the petroleum you put in your car was "prohibitive" not that long ago.

Everything you need is on Earth. In limited quantities.

Once upon a time, EVERYTHING was prohibitive. Almost everything you use everyday was prohibitive 100 years ago. It wasn't even conceived of 200 year ago. It was magic 1000 years ago.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join