It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix police officer tased and then shot victim

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Phoenix police officer tased and then shot victim

www.rawstory.com

Defense lawyer says Phoenix police officer indicted on murder charge in on-duty shooting

A Phoenix police officer has been indicted on a second-degree murder charge for the on-duty shooting of a suspect, his lawyer said Thursday.

Officer Richard Chrisman was served a summons on the indictment, attorney Craig Mehrens said. The indictment also charged him with aggravated assault and misdemeanor cruelty to animals.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
It will be interesting hearing the ATS Law Enforcement Community Members and supporters deflect away from this one.

Phoenix Police officer is asked by an unruly man in his own home, if the police officer has a warrant. Police officer puts gun to the man’s head and tells him he needs no warrant.

Officer and partner proceed to shoot man with their Tazers, man gets a charge out of that, but little else, so officers Pepper Spray man, man says mmmm mmmm good, how about some taco beef with that.

Police Officer then shoots man’s dog. Apparently just for the heck of it.

Police Officer then shoots man in the head. Apparently just for the heck of it.

Man and dog are dead, no warrant.

I think many of us have personally witnessed an uptick in Police Officers around the country reacting poorly when they perceive their authority being challenged or questioned in any way.

People who want to know why they are being stopped, what probable cause they had, if the action is constitutional etc., etc are frequently being beaten, tazed, sprayed, shot and even killed for daring to see that themselves that their rights aren’t being violated.

Often the reaction amongst a big portion of the public is to assume automatically guilt on the part of the citizen. Well they are criminals, that’s why the police are stopping them, they get what they deserve.

This kind of neglects two important things though, one is that per the Constitution you are innocent until proven guilty so the automatic assumption of guilt of the citizen really is un-American and dangerously imperiling to us all as an attitude, because two often the people victimized by these errant law enforcement officers are entirely innocent of any crime and have no criminal records.

They just challenged authority by asking it to explain itself properly.

Are police departments doing a poor job at screening officers, perhaps taking too many veterans suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome that then imagine they are dealing with Iraqis or Afghanis in a free fire war zone? Or are departments’ too aggressively training officers to use overwhelming force in situations that don’t require any force at all but a little patience and communication skills.

Do we really want armed thugs as police men or do we want rational intelligent people with patience and real people skills able to deal with a broad set of encounters and circumstances without simply relying on brute force at the hint of any kind of dissent.

A man in his home, alone in his home, albeit angry and upset about something alone in his home, is now dead, at the hands of a police officer with no warrant with the victims only offense being asking for a warrant.

Authority and the government is clearly out of control.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
This is ugly. A friend of mine who is a former LEO told me that the city hires the most aggressive candidates they can find, basically people he would not care to work with.
He also told me that they have had the technology to look through walls for some time, whether using infrared or some other tech I'm not sure.
Scary time indeed.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

The indictment also charged him with aggravated assault and misdemeanor cruelty to animals.

www.rawstory.com...

With all things coded to Saturn, and courthouses in the hands of the S group, and eye of horus group, the true men in black/saturnists, I see this particular charge relating to an officer shooting a human, very revealing.
edit on 15-10-2010 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

That...and there is a cultural perversion involved.

In the present example, the officer's partner testified against him. That is not normally the case. In fact, it is very likely the reason this particular officer's prosecution was even pursued. He was 'unlucky' enough to have an honest officer present during the incident.

Until there is a widespread cultural shift within law enforcement and these guys stop protecting one another, such tragic examples of abuse of power will surely not diminish.

edit on 15-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
This is ugly. A friend of mine who is a former LEO told me that the city hires the most aggressive candidates they can find, basically people he would not care to work with.
He also told me that they have had the technology to look through walls for some time, whether using infrared or some other tech I'm not sure.
Scary time indeed.

Yeah they do have technology that can look through walls. I am not sure how many vehicles are deployed with it though.

The Phoenix Sherrif is in the News again today too, having lost his appeal over a Federal Order to stop treating inmates inhumanely, by feeding them rotten food, and housing them in tents outdoors and denying them medication.

That idiot actually makes inmates wear pink underwear. Most of the inmates are in pre-trial detention meaning they very well could be innocent.

Very disturbing.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
What the hell is going on in the USA????????

I'm seeing more and more of these stories, we have all heard about cops abusing their power but it seems like a story like this one is coming out more or less every week.

Is something on the increase or is this kind of thing just being reported more?

I'm glad the cops in the UK don't have guns...
edit on 15/10/10 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

That...and there is a cultural perversion involved.

In the present example, the officer's partner testified against him. That is not normally the case. In fact, it is very likely the reason this particular officer's prosecution was even pursued. He was 'unlucky' enough to have an honest officer present during the incident.

Until there is a widespread cultural shift within law enforcement and these guys stop protecting one another, such tragic examples of abuse of power will surely not diminish.

edit on 15-10-2010 by loam because: (no reason given)

Well said, do you see such a cultural change on the horizon, I don't, I see massive budget cuts and lots more stressed aggressive Leos kicking in the teeth of an ever more desperate impoverished general population. Their commanders know this hence the the upsurge in the comply or die mentality.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
There are no real police any more.

It is more like they are an army wearing police uniforms and they behave like an occupying army.

*At least in The Rodina, the police would take you to a private place for torture. In the USA, they torture you right out in public - to make an example out of you for everyone to see.

I love Obama, I am with The Party.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
What the hell is going on in the USA????????

I'm seeing more and more of these stories, we have all heard about cops abusing their power but it seems like a story like this one is coming out more or less every week.

Is something on the increase or are this kind of thing just being reported more?

I'm glad the cops in the UK don't have guns...

There seems to be a real increase in these incidents, and I think a lot of it has to do with so many departments engaging in so many forms of outside contractor security training.

A small host of security firms have popped up in the wake of 9-11 to 'better' train law enforcement agencies how to deal with the 'terrorist' threat.

Because the Homeland Security Department awards local policed department money each year to increase their readiness to deal with a terrorist threat, spending it often means sending officers to those kind of training seminars.

I think that is sending a skewered message to officers that every citizen is a potential deadly threat, and has served to make police feel more insecure to the point that they are prepared to use overwhelming force more quickly and more often when it really isn't called for.

In essence our Police are being brain washed into being highly agressive, and suspicious of everyone and everything, and to not hesitate to use force in order to always clearly dominate any citizen encounter.

Younger officers cycled through war zones are even more at risk of not being able to seperate George Bush's 9-11 fantasies and reality.

It's a real problem.

The Police are becoming the terrorists.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

It's a real problem.

The Police are becoming the terrorists.

As a deliberate act of policy.

In their plans for the great game they need a poor cowed population, tbh if we continue on the confrontation track against Islam and China I don't think fascism lite will cut the mustard they may have to go all out heavy.

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Yeah, I suppose that would make sense, I can't say for sure whether or not it's the actual reason as I don't live in the USA but it's a logical answer as any and I'd tend to agree with you.

Slightly worrying though when unarmed citizens are being shot dead in their own homes, I remember that recent thread that showed a US SWAT entering a guys house and shooting his dogs dead.

The police in this country aren't exactly squeaky clean but being scared of the people who are paid to protect you and fearing that you could possibly be shot must be an absolute ball ache, to say the least...

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Originally posted by Exuberant1
There are no real police any more.

Not entirely true:

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

There are always exceptions.

Our soldiers are nice to the Iraqies, no? Yet they occupy their country and will kill them if they get uppity.

Edit:

Check it out.

Waffen SS was a pretty nice guy, he gave water to the wounded Russian and everything:

edit on 15-10-2010 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

Yes we sure have a skewered set of values, it amazes me how easily Americans fall for word games, and actually believe that people fighting for their own independence are insurgents and enemy combatants and there is something wrong with them for not wanting to live under our armed military occupation.

Yet we are seeing authority slowly but steadily adopt the same attitudes towards us the citizens.

Not good, not good at all.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
ProtoplasmicTraveler, I was hoping we would have a chance to enter into a discussion again.

In this case, I'm really pretty surprised at you; here we have a story about an apparently rogue cop that has once again grossly violated someones human and Constitutional rights... and is being held accountable?

Why are you taking such a negative stance on this? Isn't this the type of progress you and others critical of law enforcement cried for? The man is being charged for murder for his crimes. His fellow officer stood up and spoke out against him, ignoring the supposed tendancy we have for protecting our own. Here authority has been abused, a man has needlessly lost his life and the person responsible is being held accountable for abusing that authority.

To me, this should be an opportunity for you to see hope where before you had none. I read this article before seeing this post and, in all honesty, I thought of ATS and how this might be seen as progress; that the supposed code of silence you claim we cling to just to protect our own might finally be shown to falter in the face of abuse of authority.

Instead, I am disappointed and a little sad. This only strengthens the suspicions I had before about the attitude toward law enforcement that many on this site seem to hold. I see stories like this and I think, "Well, here is something that the cop-haters can be happy about; a criminal cop being held accountable for his actions. Maybe they (you) can start to realize that we are not all criminal thugs looking to crush the rights of those not in uniform."

Instead, I see this story posted followed by continued attacks on law enforcement as a whole. Nevermind that the right thing was done to place the person responsible in the light of justice. This makes me suspect that there is a more deep-rooted dis-like of law enforcement lurking beneath the surface. I have read countless posts asking that cops be held to the same standards when they break the law. An endless stream of hate directed at cops that supposedly go un-punished when they abuse their authority. And now, when it happens, it is brushed aside and the attacks on law enforcement commence on a whole new front.

Am I missing something? Shouldn't we be pleased that something is being done? Doesn't this give credence to my appeal that not all cops are bad? Not that I'm surprised or even offended; I do my job everyday knowing that a good portion of the people I deal with on a daily basis hate my very existence. I just chalked that up to criminals being criminals and hating cops because we are bad for their business.

Just for the record, I never really believed that things like this would make any of the cop-haters happy. I have never labored under any false assumptions that those that express their vehement distaste for law enforcement were ever really hoping to see signs of progress. There is no progress that we as law enforcement can make that will make a select few change their minds about us. This group will continue to hold negative feelings toward law enforcement no matter what progress is made. No matter how many "bad" cops are brought to light and punished for their crimes, this group will always find more to hate. That doesn't surprise me. However, I am surprised and a little disheartened at some of the peope that are included in that group.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Lets look at this with level-headedness. That is all I can ask of people when it comes to issues on Police Officers and doing the job that has been handed to us.

I am a police officer. I want to see this guy burn just as much as eveyone else. Taking the story at face value, he was completely wrong. Barring any unforseen developments, he was completely out of line and deserves the justice that will be offered. I want to say that this guy in no way represents any measure of a law enforcement officer.

The reason this guy is so jammed up and did not get away with it is not because he was unlucky that an honest cop was with him. It is because he had an average cop and decent human being with him. The average cop blew the whistle instead of covering it up. This is what I would do and every other officer that I know would do. Believe it or not, this average officer makes up the majority of the police force in the United States.

There are over 500,000 sworn law enforcement officers in the United States. They are all human beings just like everyone on this site. I will be the first to admit there are bad cops. Whether they are bad because they are not good at doing their jobs, bad because they abuse their authority, bad because they steal or bad because their use of force is completely unacceptable, they are not the majority. In fact, they are a small minority of officers. Unfortunately, this small minority stands out the most.

There are few instances where the police are brought up in the media in a good light. Reporting about police brutality or corruption in the news is sexy. Not because it is sexually attractive but because it gathers people's attention. I personally have had numerous cases that I have cleared, arrests that I have made without hurting anyone, and contacts with the public that the citizen and I have come away better people and had a positive outcome. None of which have made the local or national news.

Everyday cops all over the United States clear cases, helping victims and bringing criminals to justice. The vast majority never see any news coverage whatsoever.

Everyday thousands of people are justifiably arrested for commiting crimes without being injured by an officer. The vast majority of these incidents never see any news coverage whatsoever.

Everyday thousands of people have positive contact with the police and come away satisfied and better people because of it. The vast majority of these incidents never see any news coverage whatsoever.

In response to the people on this thread that criticize the police in the United States for carrying guns when they live in a completely different country, I have this reply. The year that no police officers are killed in the line of duty by a suspect that uses a weapon is the year that we will go without carrying a side arm. We carry weapons to defend ourselves. You can draw no comparison from your country's police because your laws are different, your gun control is different and your culture is different then here in the United States.

On the subject of questioning the authority of a Police Officer. I can understand that people have questions for the police when they are stopped, questioned, searched or even arrested. There is a time and a place for questioning the legality of said action. If you are stopped and questioned or searched, you may be able to question the officer some will gladly explain to you what is going on. But, unfortunately the laws, legal proceedure for such action and training are very complicated. It would be very difficult and unreasonable for an officer to crunch all of his training knowledge and experience into a short and understandable explaination while on the street and dealing with a fluid situation. And lets be honest, the majority of people who are encountered by the police are not very amicable or reasonable when questioning the actions of a police officer. If you took the time to approach it calmly and reasonably you may get a response from the officer. And most times when explained, it simply does not register or provokes further argument.

The proper way to challenge a stop and questioning or search, if you feel it was unwarranted, illegal or out of policy, is after the situation is over. Call a supervisor and have them explain it to you. If you don't like that explainantion go to an Internal Affairs Unit. If you don't like that explainantion then go to a private criminal attorney who will review it and explain it to you. If it was unwarranted, illegal or unjust, make a complaint and see that the officer is held accountable.

If you would like to challenge an arrest, the proper way to do that is through the legal system. Prepare your defense and wait for court. No matter what you say to the officer, it is probably going to happen anyways because the officer has developed probable cause. Fight it in court and make the officer prove you guilty. That is the way the system works. If the state cannot prove you guilty then you will be exonerated.

The third challenge is the most common. If you would like to challenge the law, contact your local representative. The police have no power to change the law and are bound by duty to enforce it. Police Officers fall under the executive branch. They enforce laws. The legislative branch passes laws and the judicial branch interperets the law. This is how the system works.

With all this in mind, I would ask people to please use a level headed approach when looking at issues on police. Unless someone can make a GOOD argument that we no longer need police in the United States, the things police do are necessary to safety.

Yes there are bad cops but it is everyone's responsibility to identify them, right their wrongs, and get rid of them.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Ridiculous. And by that I mean its ridiculous that we only care about this s*** when we're doing it in our own country. When we do it here, the perpetrators are police officers, they are evil, they kill us in our houses and impeach on our freedoms. When we do it in other countries, they are heroes. But I guess it only matters if we aren't crossing national borders to impede on other countries' cultural differences; that is no time to be questioning what our tax-employed officials are doing.

Where's that pitchfork...

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JWH44

I will say that it is a good thing to see this guy being punished. It is refreshing to see that another cop stepped up and helped to prosecute this guy. I just wonder, how many other "small infractions" this officer had before hand that nobody mentioned?

We cannot say that one or two cases where the cop is prosecuted is progress. Here in NC we have had two police departments completely disbanded in the last decade. In both cases it took the state literally years to come and investigate citizen concerns. The police carried out rapes, sold drugs, stole property, consumed drugs, and ran "protection" rackets. However the state routinely dismissed citizen concerns because the head of department wasn't filing discipline reports.

Not all cops are "bad cops." There are still some cops out there that want to do the right thing. However, I believe there is a new mind set present. When police departments are listing "military service preferred" in the job requirements, things are changing. It use to be that police departments wanted a person in good health and a degree in criminal justice was desired. Now they want people that have been through violence and taught to see those not in uniform as potential threats and enemies.

Cops are becoming more aggressive because they are being taught differently than they were twenty or thirty years ago. It is understandable to some extent. Drug dealers and violent offenders are taking things to new extremes. However, violent crimes against people and property are down. The truth is that people and police are safer than they were in the depression, prohibition, or even the 1970s. Yet, their training is changing to teach them that every person out of uniform is a potential murderer.

People are beginning to get more aggressive with police, but I believe it has a direct correlation to the increased hostility of cops.

Don't get me wrong. I think that police officers as individuals are no more good or bad than the population at large. I believe it as a "unit" that things get dicey.

As I said in another thread.

Are they terrorist? I believe a lot of them are being used to that end by people with political agendas. I don't believe they are that way on an individual basis.

edit on 22-10-2010 by MikeNice81 because: Ran it through spell check

posted on Oct, 30 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Here is our hero of the story planting a crack pipe on a brown woman. Notice that it took a conspiracy of 4 'police officers' to bring said brown woman down.

I am surprised that the woman was not beaten for being belligerent!

Now, can someone please explain to me why I should trust that I would be dealing with that one 'good' cop instead of conspirators like these?

Our POLICE HERO planting a crack pipe on black woman... (Video)

top topics

join